Police Pulled Disabled man from Wheelchair during Student protests

DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It has just been announced on the news that a disabled person who was at last student protest was pulled from his wheelchair by Met Police. If he wasn't doing nothing apart from protesting then why were the police heavy handed. Yes there was some that was casuing riots and should be dealt with accordingly, but a disabled person cannot defend himself.

The Police Complaints Commission will be getting in touch with the person.

Comments

• MobSixMobSix Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Probably a bogus disabled person on Labour's generous and lax benefit system

Kidding, calm down :rolleyes:
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been announced on the news? Pretty sure there was a thread about it, or at least it was heavily covered in one of the dozen on the topic following the riots themselves a few days back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who posted the video on YouTube?

Will that help any case he wants to bring against the police?
    Forum Member
    Also announced on the news, Police looking into using the water cannon.

YES!! I cannot wait to see left wingers getting thrown back 100ft by jets of water.

God, I'd love to use water cannons on that lot. Hell, give me an actual Howitzer :D:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still want to know who this policeman with a "broken neck" we were all told about during the thread on the riots was, and why we haven't heard anything about him since. I can kind of GUESS the answer to those questions, but still...
  • VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    Maybe they thought he was a zombie?
  • colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havn't seen it but maybe the protester should of used what brain power he had and realised that the protest was likely to turn ugly because the students were infiltrated by idiots or were just idiots themselves.
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote: »

Nowt wrong with that. We shouldn't treat the disabled any differently if they're chucking stuff.

I doubt the cops decided to pull him out just for the fun of it, he was obviously being a shit and thought being in a chair would protect him.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has indeed been discussed elsewhere and some quotes from the man have been posted, including;

"We found ourselves in a large no-mans-land, in between the riot police trying to stop the crowd, and the police horses getting ready to charge. I turned in my wheelchair to face the police. “Move out of the way!” one of the mounted police shouted at me. I shook my head.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted one of the policemen from the earlier incident. He recognised me immediately. Officer KF936 came charging towards me. Tipping the wheelchair to the side, he pushed me onto the concrete, before grabbing my arms and dragging me across the road. The crowd of 200 ran and surrounded him. I got back up and stood in front of the horses"

The last line I find somewhat interesting, especially when apparently in his own blog the chap refers to walking up the stairs to get on the roof of Millbank.
    Forum Member
    It has indeed been discussed elsewhere and some quotes from the man have been posted, including;

"We found ourselves in a large no-mans-land, in between the riot police trying to stop the crowd, and the police horses getting ready to charge. I turned in my wheelchair to face the police. “Move out of the way!” one of the mounted police shouted at me. I shook my head.

From the corner of my eye, I spotted one of the policemen from the earlier incident. He recognised me immediately. Officer KF936 came charging towards me. Tipping the wheelchair to the side, he pushed me onto the concrete, before grabbing my arms and dragging me across the road. The crowd of 200 ran and surrounded him. I got back up and stood in front of the horses"

The last line I find somewhat interesting, especially when apparently in his own blog the chap refers to walking up the stairs to get on the roof of Millbank.

Interesting. Cops probably knew he could walk.

Video is hard to make out, but he definitely tries to get to his feet at one point.

Just a chancer then, no story here.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11987395

To those trying to justify it I must say the guy looks a right dangerous character. :rolleyes:

I hope he makes a complaint so we can see how seriously the police deal with one of their own who would treat a disabled man like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    Out of order both by the police and Teresa May for defending them especially if she's seen this footage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No let's just hang on a minute here.

According to the guy himself, the mounted Police were getting ready to charge.

He (in his wheelchair) was directly in between the Police and the rest of the protesters. The Police told him to "get out of the way" which he refused to do. A cop runs in, grabs him and drags him "across the road".

Lets set aside the fact that (again in his own words) he got up and stood in front of the horses do you really think it would have been a great idea for the Mounted Branch to have charged and flattened the guy in his chair?
    Forum Member
    No let's just hang on a minute here.

According to the guy himself, the mounted Police were getting ready to charge.

He (in his wheelchair) was directly in between the Police and the rest of the protesters. The Police told him to "get out of the way" which he refused to do. A cop runs in, grabs him and drags him "across the road".

Lets set aside the fact that (again in his own words) he got up and stood in front of the horses do you really think it would have been a great idea for the Mounted Branch to have charged and flattened the guy in his chair?

Nobody can defend the police here, not even a torie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody can defend the police here, not even a torie

I get the impression that had the Police lifted him clear and given him a nice cup of tea, you'd still be moaning about the Police denying him his right to protest.

Try and get real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a TV interview I saw with him that question was put to him and why he wouldn't move away when he saw things were turning ugly - he said that he had every right to be there in the middle of it all (and in harm's way)

The question is - were the police targetting a disabled man or were they removing him out of harm's way or were they treating him like everybody else?

The investigation will sort things out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is also interesting to note that the man in question has not made a complaint about the incident.

The MET have referred it to the Professional Standards Department to investigate.
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    On a TV interview I saw with him that question was put to him and why he wouldn't move away when he saw things were turning ugly - he said that he had every right to be there in the middle of it all (and in harm's way)

The question is - were the police targetting a disabled man or were they removing him out of harm's way or were they treating him like everybody else?

The investigation will sort things out

The answer to that question is incredibly simple, and everyone here already knows the answer.

If someone is in a wheelchair you wheel them out of the way.

You do not pull them out of the chair, on to the concrete (could have hit his head, or broken an arm or leg), and then drag him across the tarmac. It didn't have to be done in 10 seconds. If they have taken a bit more time they could have wheeled him away ---- he was on wheels :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: They chose to use violence.
    Forum Member
    The answer to that question is incredibly simple, and everyone here already knows the answer.

You do not pull them out of the chair, on to the concrete (could have hit his head, or broken an arm or leg), and then drag him across the tarmac. It didn't have to be done in 10 seconds. If they have taken a bit more time they could have wheeled him away ---- he was on wheels :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: They chose to use violence.

Couldn't have put it better myself and they did it twice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or they chose to use the most expeditious way to get a fool who was refusing to move out of the way, before he got seriously hurt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But he said that he refused to move

I'm not trying to pre-judge one way or another - is it police brutality against a disabled man or is it an activist using his disability as a weapon against the police?

We can't tell one way or another - the video is vague enough to show each side of the argument what they want to see.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    I know our police are not perfect, but I think I'd rather be policed by the British police during a demonstration, than any other force in the world. Perhaps those who are continuously knocking our police's handling of the recent demos can advise us which country's police handle these things better?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His own words are clear, that he refused to move away from the police horses, so he alone is at fault.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    But he said that he refused to move

I'm not trying to pre-judge one way or another - is it police brutality against a disabled man or is it an activist using his disability as a weapon against the police?

We can't tell one way or another - the video is vague enough to show each side of the argument what they want to see.
    Even so, there's no defence for what the police did. No matter how provocative he was. An able-bodied person sitting in the road and refusing to move should not be dragged out of the way in that manner. I realise tensions run high in situations like this, but what happened is inexcusable.