What's Earth's future history according to DW ?

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
watching the moon episode last night and Clara pointing out that they'd already seen the moon beyond 2049 etc. it got me wondering - according to the show what bits of earth future history have we seen ?

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think a point of this one was nobody knows what may be the future today may not be tomorrow.

For example The Doctor could take Clara or any other companion to a certain date one day take them to the exact same date again later and see two different futures.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Don't forget that the Doctor gave a number of "keep an open mind" suggestions that could explain why Clara had seen the moon after 2049 - holograms etc. Obviously, in this case, he was just trying to fool Clara but the principle is sound.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The future of Harriet Jones is the perfect example of this. In Series 1 the Doctor can't place where he knows her name from, as the events of World War Three are likely in flux. Only once the threat is resolved does he recall that she goes on to have two successive terms as PM and brings in Britain's Golden Age. This future, although never seen was taken to be true, though undone by The Doctor deposing Harriet in The Christmas Invasion.

The majority of time can be rewritten, apart from those moments in time which are fixed and must always stand (ie. The Doctor dying at Lake Silencio, the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, the destruction of Bowie Base One on Mars).

Kill the Moondoes the same with the moon - an in flux moment which when decided results in The Doctor seeing the future that unfolds as a result of that decision. Of course all of that may never actually happen, as with Harriet Jones, but it's the future that resulted without intervention.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really concerned with whether time can be re-written I'm just wondering what events in earth's future have been seen .
    Forum Member
    I'm not really concerned with whether time can be re-written I'm just wondering what events in earth's future have been seen .

Over the course of 51 years maybe 100's
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

Well from the show since the revival (and I've put it into chronological order for you) :D ...

- In the very near future, the Earth had the 'Year of the Slow Invasion' in which seemingly harmless black cubes appeared across the planet. After around a year of displaying no activity they attacked humanity and caused a severe health scare that was later averted (The Power of Three, Series 7)

- In the year 2020, a mining project in the Welsh village of Cwmtaff dug so low it struck an age-old Silurian civilisation. There were several fatalities, and unknown to humanity at the time a failed attempt from ambassadors to unite the two species into co-existence. (The Hungry Earth, Cold Blood - Series 5)

- In 2049, the moon has been exhibiting bizarre behaviour for a long time and has been causing fatal tidal conditions on the planet below. Many years after a doomed Mexican moon mission, a new mission goes up and discovers a sentient being living inside the moon. Despite the will of humanity to destroy the creature in order to increase their own chances of survival, the astronauts on the moon opt to spare the creature. In an important moment in history the moon disintegrates and a new creature leaves harmlessly, depositing a new moon in its place. (Kill the Moon, Series 8)

- The first human outpost on Mars, Bowie Base One, was built in the Gusev Crater of the Red Planet and and founded in 2058. In 2059, the base was destroyed and Adelaide Brooke committed suicide under unexplained circumstances back on Earth. Mia Bennett and Yuri Kerenski were the sole survivors of the mission and told the story of the waters of Mars to the world. (The Waters of Mars, Tenth Doctor Specials)

- In the 22nd century, Colonel Orson Pink was a human pioneer of time travel (though not distinctly the first human to time travel), however his mission went wrong and he was flung to the end of the universe. He was later saved and returned to his own time, though the explanation he gave for his rescue is unclear. (Listen, Series 8)

- In the 22nd century, a solar storm struck a British acid-mining factory and resulted in the workers' gangers becoming self-aware individuals. Gangers were a common solution to carrying out work in hazardous environments, and the incident led to an Army press conference to discuss what should be done in future regarding Gangers. (The Rebel Flesh, The Almost People - Series 6).

- In 2367, a massive spacecraft came hurtling towards the Earth. The Indian Space Agency made preperations for the craft to be destroyed, but it was safely transferred to another point in space. (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Series 7)

- In the year 3295, the Starship UK was revealed to be carried on the back of a Star Whale. At this point in history, humanity had temporarily left the Earth due to severe solar flares. Scotland has, by this point, declared independence from the United Kingdom. The monarchy still continues, with Elizabeth X. (The Beast Below, Series 5)

- By 43K2.1 in the 42nd Century humanity is using Ood as servants/slaves. They're an important establishment of the human empire, and are used on important missions such as the Krop Tor mission. It is suggested there is a Friends of the Ood movement by this point. (The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit - Series 2)

- In 4126, the Ood-population that had served as slaves under the Second Great and Bountiful Human Empire were freed and returned to their native Ood-Sphere. The repercussions of this for humanity remain unclear. At this time in Earth's history the planet is becoming very crowded, but humanity's empire stretched across three galaxies (presumably the Milky Way, the Andromeda and the Triangulum). This was collectively referred to as the Tri-Galactic, whose currency was the Credit (Planet of the Ood, Series 4)

- In the 44th Century, Christmas is still being celebrated on other planets and towns including Sardicktown. It is often referred to as The Crystal Feast (A Christmas Carol, Series 6)

- The Earth controlled by the news network (who had stunted the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire), whose base of operation was Satellite 5. In the year 500,000 the news corporations crashed overnight (The Long Game, Series 1). At this point in Earth's history, it has five moons a population of 96 billion and is the centre of a galactic domain that spans a million planets and species. (The Long Game, Series 1)

- The Earth had endured a century of hell following the crash of the Satellite 5 news network in 500,000, which in turn caused the collapse of all the worlds banks. The Great Atlantic Smog Storm made it unsafe to breathe outside and humanity had a massive interest in reality television which involved killing failed contestants. In the year 500,100 the Earth came under serious attack from a Dalek fleet - the first seen in thousands of years. They attacked every continent - including Europa, Pacifica, the New American Alliance and Australasia. (Bad Wolf, The Parting of the Ways - Series 1)

- The final destruction of the Earth in the year 5 billion, Humanity endured off-world. (The End of the World, Series 1)
    Forum Member

- In 2049, the moon has been exhibiting bizarre behaviour for a long time and has been causing fatal tidal conditions on the planet below. Many years after a doomed Mexican moon mission, a new mission goes up and discovers a sentient being living inside the moon. Despite the will of humanity to destroy the creature in order to increase their own chances of survival, the astronauts on the moon opt to spare the creature. In an important moment in history the moon disintegrates and a new creature leaves harmlessly, depositing a new moon in its place. (Kill the Moon, Series 8)

- The Earth controlled by the news network (who had stunted the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire), whose base of operation was Sattelite 5. In the year 500,000 the news corporations crashed overnight (The Long Game, Series 1). At this point in Earth's history, it has five moons a population of 96 billion and is the centre of a galactic domain that spans a million planets and species. (The Long Game, Series 1))

Wonder if the new creature laid multiple eggs
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I'd be wary of including anything from the current series - it's still possible that we've been "tricked" in believing things that didn't (won't) really happen and/or "the future" may change.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well from the show since the revival (and I've put it into chronological order for you) :D ...

-]

many thanks for all that .

I just looked up Moonbase and that was set in 2070