Options

Victoria Beckham - ''I represent the average (size 16) woman''

Comments

• Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does she represent the average woman, for the price of one her dresses i could pay for food for my family for about 6 months, she is driven everywhere,has nannies, cooks, body guards and a massive house.
  • Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I'm a fan of her and her miserable face, but that headline is rather misleading. She doesn't mean average as in size, they are talking about a 6ft model and she says I represent the average woman, which I take to mean in height.

One thing that amused me from the article was this quote:

But the one actress Victoria would like to see one of her dresses on is We Need To Talk About Kevin star Tilda Swinton who she finds 'intriguing, very stylish, she clearly understands fashion'

Tilda Swinton clearly understands fashion? Omg, is she joking. Great actress, but she wears the most hideous outfits. Talking of hideous, those knickers miserable face is wearing are bloody awful!
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »
    Not that I'm a fan of her and her miserable face, but that headline is rather misleading. She doesn't mean average as in size, they are talking about a 6ft model and she says I represent the average woman, which I take to mean in height.

One thing that amused me from the article was this quote:

But the one actress Victoria would like to see one of her dresses on is We Need To Talk About Kevin star Tilda Swinton who she finds 'intriguing, very stylish, she clearly understands fashion'

Tilda Swinton clearly understands fashion? Omg, is she joking. Great actress, but she wears the most hideous outfits. Talking of hideous, those knickers miserable face is wearing are bloody awful!

She's still identifying with an average woman though, which she clearly isn't. That little gem's nothing on some of the fibs she's come out with.

Agree with you on Tilda Swinton. Everything she wears makes her look like she's run through a dark room covered in glue and wore what stuck.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tudor6222 wrote: »

The DM has taken one sentence from an interview and used it in the way they always do - to mock.

Think I'll wait to read the actual HB interview instead of joining in the premature outrage/ridiculing of VB. Also -

"We always joke that we have this fabulously gorgeous 17-year-old model who is six-foot-whatever and then I say "OK, I’m going to put it on. I stand for the general public here"

All I get from this is that she wants her clothes to look good on women who don't have model height/proportions.

Great photoshoot, retro swimwear is fab, particularly the green 2-piece. :cool:

And Tilda Swinton is imo one of the most stylish people on earth. Effortlessly so, inate, original, totally her own. I can see why VB would love to dress her.
  • Options
    Tudor6222Tudor6222 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    The DM has taken one sentence from an interview and used it in the way they always do - to mock.

Think I'll wait to read the actual HB interview instead of joining in the premature outrage/ridiculing of VB. Also -

"We always joke that we have this fabulously gorgeous 17-year-old model who is six-foot-whatever and then I say "OK, I’m going to put it on. I stand for the general public here"

All I get from this is that she wants her clothes to look good on women who don't have model height/proportions.

Personally, as I never have and never will, buy Harpers Bazaar, I've only go the DM article to go on.
    ''I stand for the general public here"

To me anyway, sonunds as if she's identifying with Mrs/Ms Average, which she never will be.
  • Options
    tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Lexi on this :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retro fashion is THE fashion this summer..
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    She's still identifying with an average woman though, which she clearly isn't.

The average person that buys her dresses. I do not think sizes 16s need to apply. She was just saying that would be no point in trying her dresses on a fit model, because her frame represents the consumer. And she's right.
    Victoria Beckham is tiny, but that's a about it, the proportions of high fashion models are out of this world. Her frame is nothing extraordinary.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, as I never have and never will, buy Harpers Bazaar, I've only go the DM article to go on.

To me anyway, sonunds as if she's identifying with Mrs/Ms Average, which she never will be.

No need to buy it. HB is online, and the full interview will be available on the internet (usually a couple of days or thereabouts after the hard copy comes out.)

Also, surely you're familiar enough with the DM by now to know how they operate? Lack of context, pulling a random sentence and building a sneering, outraged story around it?

I didn't read that as her saying I'm just like you - just that she wants her lines to be accessible to women off the catwalk. And they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She represents a quarter of the average woman.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I think the reporting on this article is so unfair. What she actually says is that she is 5ft 6inches and most models are 6 foot so she often tries on the dresses herself as she is more the standard height for women yet the comments are twisted to make it sound as though she is talking about her dress size. Typical modern journalism. Anything to get a shocking headline, even if the report is not true, later denied and turns out to be a lot of rubbish. I give up on modern journalism, it seems nobody ever checks facts and reports comments from "friends" which turn out often to be completely untrue! What ist the point of buying these newspapers and magazines if half of what you read is made up gossip with no basis of fact???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reporting on this article is so unfair. What she actually says is that she is 5ft 6inches and most models are 6 foot so she often tries on the dresses herself as she is more the standard height for women yet the comments are twisted to make it sound as though she is talking about her dress size. Typical modern journalism. Anything to get a shocking headline, even if the report is not true, later denied and turns out to be a lot of rubbish. I give up on modern journalism, it seems nobody ever checks facts and reports comments from "friends" which turn out often to be completely untrue! What ist the point of buying these newspapers and magazines if half of what you read is made up gossip with no basis of fact???

Are you sure she's 5ft, 6? My friend met her one and said she is tiny..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Victoria Beckham in Harrods and she was smaller than me .. I'm 5ft 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She probably appears as tall as 5ft 6 as she wears those towering heels all the time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss N wrote: »
    She probably appears as tall as 5ft 6 as she wears those towering heels all the time!

I was shocked at how skinny she was,her arms were very sinewy .. She was surrounded by 3 massive blokes..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

• Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, in terms of height she is certainly average. High fashion models are on another scale altogether.

Her lifestyle and earnings, however, could be considered anything but 'average'.

Tilda Swinton wouldn't be the first name that springs to mind in terms of fashion expertise. She alternates between dressing like something from an alien planet and being wrapped in a 1970s chintze curtain.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get what she's probably saying tbh. She isn't someone blessed with a models figure or stunning good looks. Naturally, she is a bit Ms average (that's not an insult btw). She isn't someone who just falls out of bed and looks stunning or someone who can eat like a horse and stay slim. If she didn't work really hard (too hard imo) at it, she would be an average girl with and average body.

Yes, she's got more money than most of us can ever dream of but it doesn't mean she hasn't got hang ups like almost every woman on the planet.

And the DM are the biggest hypocrites going. They're sticking up for the *average* woman who they say is a size 16 when they're usually slagging off women who are size 10/12 as big girls with larger bodies. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nice sexy curves.. she has not... the song has just come into my head... ear worm..
    matchstick cats and dogs..
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Tilda Swinton is imo one of the most stylish people on earth. Effortlessly so, inate, original, totally her own. I can see why VB would love to dress her.[/QUOTE]

I agree - she is fantastic - her oscars outfit was absolutely incredible - she is fantastically unique.

As for VB; she is (and I think she has said as much in the past), incredibly average in terms of looks and has to work uber hard to look halfway decent. She is not a natural beauty but has the best cosmetics and treatments at her fingertips - and fair play. In terms of size, she is of course nowhere near the average woman but to be fair, I don't think that's what she meant.

I do wish she'd stop some of this self deprecrating stuff though - she does seem desperate to be liked, but let's face it - none of us on here can relate to her lifestyle, fame or wealth.
  • Options
    chawlvischawlvis Posts: 201
    Forum Member

And Tilda Swinton is imo one of the most stylish people on earth. Effortlessly so, inate, original, totally her own. I can see why VB would love to dress her.[/QUOTE]

I agree - she is fantastic - her oscars outfit was absolutely incredible - she is fantastically unique.

As for VB; she is (and I think she has said as much in the past), incredibly average in terms of looks and has to work uber hard to look halfway decent. She is not a natural beauty but has the best cosmetics and treatments at her fingertips - and fair play. In terms of size, she is of course nowhere near the average woman but to be fair, I don't think that's what she meant.

I do wish she'd stop some of this self deprecrating stuff though - she does seem desperate to be liked, but let's face it - none of us on here can relate to her lifestyle, fame or wealth.

Tilda Swinton is a goddess!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    chawlvis wrote: »

Tilda Swinton is a goddess!

Agreed 100%! She represents androgynous style beautifully! I think its ridiculous that Victoria is being criticised for her comments, she was clearly stating that shes not a model, and that she does represent normal women that want to look good! She works very hard, has a beautiful family, has clearly worked hard at her marriage, why the hell do people hate her? Shes admitted she looks crap when she smiles, and that's why she doesnt, personally I think its endearing and reminds me she a bloody human!! Shes made a gorgeous brand of fab clothes women of all shapes can look great in, all be it not so cheap, but still, good for her!
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Daily Mail twisting things again. I don't think anyone can claim to be outraged at VB saying something (fairly reasonable given the context), whilst encouraging us all to read a blatent stitch up job in the Mail. The Mail are horrible and are always doing this sort of thing, but presumably enough readers fall for it, and by their own admission, they deliberately encourage their readers to get annoyed by stuff.

Victoria is different to me on so many levels, but I think she is a fairly sound person, and in the world of high fashion, her figure is at the normal end of the scale.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I like her, shes held her marriage together she could have sat on her arse and done nothing but she went into something she enjoys fashion. Yes she did have way more opportunities than someone starting out but she earnt those making herself a household name with the spice girls which will a lot of us might envy the money probably dont envy the hard work and press intrusion that comes with it.

Ive met her once she was very friendly and funny and warm everyone else who met her at the same time for around an hour & a half at a private kids party agreed we were expecting her to be pouty and stand offish but she wasnt, playing with everyones kids getting down on the floor in jeans and eating cupcakes and jellybeans i thought she was lovely and one of the mums had just lost 5 stone and was saying she dreamed of affording one of her dresses and she told her she was bringing out a defusion line which she did was over a year later & i dont know how well she knew this woman but she sent her one of the dresses in a uk 12.

So not such a bad woman in my book, hardworking funny and a good mum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I look on Victoria as a kind of everybarbie figure.