Options

Surface Pro available now

Comments

• Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Come now, don't be silly. This is full windows 8, anything a desktop computer can do, this can.

With an iPad, you rely on whatever Bluetooth profiles are baked into iOS.

With Windows, ANY bluetooth device can be run. If your device doesn't have bluetooth integrated, you can just stick in a dongle and third-party software can always be added to take care of any missing profiles.

No, you rely on the many developers and third party manufacturers giving so much more attention to mobile devices.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    No, you rely on the many developers and third party manufacturers giving so much more attention to mobile devices.

What a generic reply. Sounds like you don't have a real reply in this case but that's because you don't know the answer as illuminated by the last couple of posts you made in this thread.

Let me educate you: if the iPad doesn't have a particular bluetooth profile baked in to iOS, the iPad can't perform that particular bluetooth function.

The iOS supports five profiles
    out of this many profiles.

That wiki page shows a particular bluetooth profile that blackberries and some androids can do but iOS can't.

There's nothing out there with more compatibility with third party devices and hardware than a Windows PC.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using a full size Vaio and a tablet when away from home and the Pro should mean I can leave them behind. The Pro is a 'real' computer and will run any of the software I want. The soft touch keyboard is fine for when just out and about and the 'real' keyboard for when static. You can use a small USB hub and plug in standard keyboards and a mouse.
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a generic reply. Sounds like you don't have a real reply in this case but that's because you don't know the answer as illuminated by the last couple of posts you made in this thread.

Let me educate you: if the iPad doesn't have a particular bluetooth profile baked in to iOS, the iPad can't perform that particular bluetooth function.

The iOS supports five profiles
    out of this many profiles.

That wiki page shows a particular bluetooth profile that blackberries and some androids can do but iOS can't.

There's nothing out there with more compatibility with third party devices and hardware than a Windows PC.

Not a generic reply at all. The reality of the PC market clearly shows for a number of years now that the focus has shifted to mobile devices. There are obviously many things that you can say a PC or a Mac can do that an iPad or other mobile device can't do but that doesn't mean it matters to most consumers or developers, who's focus has been on the mobile market for some time now.

That's the kind of argument Microsoft would make to promote their Surface Pro without getting it, once again, that most users don't care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Not a generic reply at all. The reality of the PC market clearly shows for a number of years now that the focus has shifted to mobile devices. There are obviously many things that you can say a PC or a Mac can do that an iPad or other mobile device can't do but that doesn't mean it matters to most consumers or developers, who's focus has been on the mobile market for some time now.

That's the kind of argument Microsoft would make to promote their Surface Pro without getting it, once again, that most users don't care.

Complete movement of the goalposts by you.

Your original argument was that you think an iPad can do more than a PC, for example, not being surprised if the iPad had more bluetooth capabilities than a PC.

Anyway, thankfully you have backtracked on that with a different statement: "here are obviously many things that you can say a PC or a Mac can do that an iPad or other mobile device can't do but that doesn't mean it matters to most consumers".

I assure you that things like developing, testing and debugging all on the same device is something that matters to developers and something that the iPad can't do.

The Surface Pro as a platform has the capability to do anything that a laptop or tablet can do. It only needs more software written for touch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a real shame an iPad fanboy had to come in and derail the thread when he has little knowledge of the Surface Pro (or even the iPad it seems) just because he can't stand any other product being good or people having any desire for a product other than what he has bought.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise Pro is full Windows but what does the non full windows 'RT' acronym stand for?

Off the top of my head I can only think of 'Restricted Tablet'. It is quite fitting but surely unintended.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I realise Pro is full Windows but what does the non full windows 'RT' acronym stand for?

Off the top of my head I can only think of 'Restricted Tablet'. It is quite fitting but surely unintended.

I think it means RunTime, as in unlike with Windows 8 you cannot install anything else on it except Windows RT apps.
  • Options
    AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't. I saw it yesterday in person, it's a great bit of kit.

Personally, considering waiting for a Haswell one so it gets decent battery life.

If it had a Sky Go app available it would be able to be my only machine and I would sell my iPad.

If this is full windows, should be able to run the PC version of Sky Go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ2001 wrote: »

Anything you can run on a PC with Windows 8 on it you can run on the Surface Pro, too. The same thing. The only problem can be a compatibility issue with W8, but then again, on both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ2001 wrote: »

Can you download content on Sky Go for PCs? I've only ever used it on my iPad. From what I remember, Sky Go behaves differently depending on the device and the content it shows you. Maybe that was for a different app like Now TV.

In any case, with that hurdle crossed, the Surface Pro sounds pretty ideal for me except I feel that I may as well as wait for a Haswell one to get better battery life.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I think it means RunTime, as in unlike with Windows 8 you cannot install anything else on it except Windows RT apps.

Probably why I could not recall its meaning.
    'As in' certainly does not correlate to 'run time'

'Restricted Tablet' fits in much better though we can be trained into an expanded definition of 'run time'.
    'Metro' certainly fitted in better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Probably why I could not recall its meaning.
    'As in' certainly does not correlate to 'run time'

'Restricted Tablet' fits in much better though we can be trained into an expanded definition of 'run time'.
    'Metro' certainly fitted in better.

I think Windows part of Windows RT confused many people. They expected the RT tablets to be what Surface Pro is and were disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you download content on Sky Go for PCs? I've only ever used it on my iPad. From what I remember, Sky Go behaves differently depending on the device and the content it shows you. Maybe that was for a different app like Now TV.

In any case, with that hurdle crossed, the Surface Pro sounds pretty ideal for me except I feel that I may as well as wait for a Haswell one to get better battery life.

Haswell looks promising, 50% battery life improvement, they say, but I have to have this toy now :D I'll try to get my hands on Surface Pro by the end of the week.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Windows part of Windows RT confused many people. They expected the RT tablets to be what Surface Pro is and were disappointed.
    Hence the reports of many RT tablets being returned.

BTW WinRT <> Windows RT.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinRT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
    Choosing confusing product names seems to be just about the only thing the MS marketing department is any good at :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Hence the reports of many RT tablets being returned.

BTW WinRT <> Windows RT.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinRT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
    Choosing confusing product names seems to be just about the only thing the MS marketing department is any good at :)

These are confusing names, and yet, they are much better than what came before. They got a bit muddled, wanting to call it Windows RT to draw on the power of the Windows brand (ignoring its poisoned chalice nature) but then expecting people to realise it's not "full" windows.

A Surface RT2 does remain an attractive proposition fundamentally however - an iPad that does Flash and Office and chance to manage files. The current one just lacks power from a hardware perspective (and apps from a software one).

Windows Phone 7 Series - as it was a BMW or something. Or Windows Server 2008 R2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haswell looks promising, 50% battery life improvement, they say, but I have to have this toy now :D I'll try to get my hands on Surface Pro by the end of the week.

I REAALLY want one, but then again, an iMac sounds pretty sweet too (apart from all the ugly grey chrome).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I REAALLY want one, but then again, an iMac sounds pretty sweet too (apart from all the ugly grey chrome).

You would end up installing Windows on it anyway :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would end up installing Windows on it anyway :p

I do like windows. My main reason for getting one is trying to figure out what's so great about OS X. I played with a friend's Macbook Pro on Sunday evening a fair bit and I really just don't get it.

I think I will have a chat with DotNetWill about it, he seems to be pretty balanced and have a good understanding of both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend showed me his MacBook Pro he uses for development for iOS. The most important keys for developing in Objective-C, i.e., /B] and [B were only available through some funny key combination :eek: :D
  • Options
    AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, you can download and watch offline . I was doing it up to 12 months ago, before i switched to the ipad.

EDIT: Did a quick check just . Now You need to subscribe toSky Go extra ( 5 pounds/month) if you want to download and watch offline. Streaming is still free
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend showed me his MacBook Pro he uses for development for iOS. The most important keys for developing in Objective-C, i.e., /B] and [B were only available through some funny key combination :eek: :D

Are you really sure ?

typing this on a macbook pro, the [ and the ] keys are directly to the right of the p key and you don't even have to press the shift key to type them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like windows. My main reason for getting one is trying to figure out what's so great about OS X. I played with a friend's Macbook Pro on Sunday evening a fair bit and I really just don't get it.

I think I will have a chat with DotNetWill about it, he seems to be pretty balanced and have a good understanding of both.

Can't you make up your own mind ?

There are pros and cons to either, it's going to be down to personal preference really.

I got a mac book as I needed to do some contract iOS Development work, then I've used it as my main personal laptop ever since then.

I just like the look and feel of it more than windows. Especially since windows 8 which I think aesthetically looks horrible. But that will be down to your own personal preference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Are you really sure ?

typing this on a macbook pro, the [ and the ] keys are directly to the right of the p key and you don't even have to press the shift key to type them

He certainly had troubles to type them :confused: I only saw it for maybe five minutes, showed me some graph with dialogs of an app he was writing and could not find those keys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He certainly had troubles to type them :confused: I only saw it for maybe five minutes, showed me some graph with dialogs of an app he was writing and could not find those keys.

I hope this image makes it clear for you

Notice to the right of the 'P' the 2 [ and ] keys. Sounds like you're making this up tbh as those are pretty crucial if you're doing any objective c development