How long you been single?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just counted. 9 months. Feels both longer and shorter.

I'm not too fussed about it either way.

(ETA a brief couple of months with one bloke and a few dates in that time - so not sure if that counts. I count it as single)
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always been single. I have two daughters and a partner though but we aren't married and so I guess I'm single, because if I wasn't I'd be married and I'm not. If you mean how long have you been without a partner in your life then it would be different. Can't work it out as too hot and have two cats on me leaving hairs everywhere.
  • WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I'm 31 and hae been single for 5 years with zero sex in thst time.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 months, but I do have a casual thing going off with someone I first met when I left school. I was with my ex for 9 years and it was a mistake from the start, a mistake I decided to carry on with as 'I'd made my bed'...I only started a relationship with him because I was 28 and had been pretty much single since I left school - my love life being entirely made up of brief encounters and very casual affairs. Family were starting to question if I had issues or not....9 years later I really wish at the time that I didn't care less whether I had or not. Much happier now!
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Since I was born, so that'll be 1987. I'm 27 now, never been in a relationship, never had that opportunity of intimacy either. Woooo!! :-(
    Since 28 February 1969.
    Having read the topic title (and before reading the comments), I thought I'd have a victory in the bag here, but you have seemingly beaten me.
    Just a loner. I would like to think I might hit it off with someone, one day, but am not staking my life on it.
    More or less forever...never had a 'serious' relationship, never actually loved anyone etc..
    It might not come to anything (it hasn't gone anywhere with me yet) but PlentyofFish.com; it's a free dating website (you've probably heard of it at some point already).

There's an option to upgrade, but you really don't need to. Unlike other dating sites, you can send (and receive) messages for free. I've been a member there (this time) since January 2014, and it's only recently that I've found people who will return my messages, I've signed up before, got nowhere, and gave up.

Neither of you have anything to lose by giving it a shot, right? :) - Hopefully you'll have better (and a lot quicker) luck than I.
    Andrue wrote: »
    February 1967 for me :)
    So you've beaten Phoenix Lazarus as far as relationships go, though;
    Andrue wrote: »
    I've had a few 'friends with benefits' during my life but have never had a proper relationship.
    If I may be so bold as to ask Phoenix Lazarus, would the friends with benefits apply to you also?
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 years now, since I was 21.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've been single for little over two months, having come out of a two-and-a-half year relationship. I've already had two people ask me since (heaven knows why!) and suspect a third might be trying to hint at me - I'm not sure though, I could be reading them entirely wrong.

I won't be wanting a relationship any time soon either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40 years.
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    36 yers
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    12 1/2 years. I don't miss, or want another relationship. I totally love my independence and I can't see my life changing anytime soon.
  • FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always being single and I'm going to be 20 in a month, I'm not horribly ugly or anti social I've just never met anyone who id think I'd wanna spend my life with.
  • earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Been on my own for 5 years I have lost faith in anyone being honest with me
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since January 2012 and nobody really asks if I am (or how long) so they don't get to be surprised :p
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been pretty much continuously in a relationship for the last 30 years but not the same relationship. TBF the endings and beginnings have been quite seamless but then I suppose I was the one to end them so probably already reconciled to it ending when they did....at the same time also emotionally able to move on easily to a new relationship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always being single and I'm going to be 20 in a month, I'm not horribly ugly or anti social I've just never met anyone who id think I'd wanna spend my life with.

That is what happened to me. You need to decide if you do want to share your life with someone, have kids etc and then go looking :)
    Don't leave it too late, if you are alone too long you will find it hard to adjust.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 14 years - although the last couple of years before the divorce felt lonelier than the 14 years since!
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Since I was born, so that'll be 1987. I'm 27 now, never been in a relationship, never had that opportunity of intimacy either. Woooo!! :-(

If it makes you feel any better I'm 27 as well and in the same situation. I'm in the process of improving my social skills (I was an unlikeable billy no mates loner at school and university, fell into severe depression a couple years back because of it and sought help).

I can't guarantee what will happen to me, maybe I will find somebody, at least I hope I can improve my social life at worst, but if I am to remain single, I'll have to learn to live with it.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    About 14 years - although the last couple of years before the divorce felt lonelier than the 14 years since!

I know exactly what you mean. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    46 days
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been single ever since I was born.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nat28 wrote: »
    Writing music or books ? :)

Songwriting mainly but I have had a novel in the works for a long time and other ideas. Music is the thing for me to focus on cause it's more immediate. I may finish the novel by the time I'm 50...xD

The funny thing is, reading this thread has now actually made me more accepting of being single, I'm not sure why. Maybe because other people are as well, it's not a freak thing. I've got lots to be getting on with and travelling more is on the agenda.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    My whole life so 18 years sadly :(.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    My whole life so 18 years.

You've got time, man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite the opposite. I haven't been single since I was 19, 44 years ago.:)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'm quite the opposite. I haven't been single since I was 19, 44 years ago.:)

There's always one show-off :D