Any legal brains on here re CPS and a stabbing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
Forum Member
A bit of background: a friend of mine was stabbed before Christmas. Very nasty injuries, completely unprovoked attack. The person that did this was known to the police and had been in prison before for similar events and attacked other people. We are now completely amazed that the CPS have said that it would be too expensive to pursue this case.

How do we fight this? Not for compensation but for justice. If my friend had been smaller, or frailer, they would be dead.

If anybody has any suggestions it would really help. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of background: a friend of mine was stabbed before Christmas. Very nasty injuries, completely unprovoked attack. The person that did this was known to the police and had been in prison before for similar events and attacked other people. We are now completely amazed that the CPS have said that it would be too expensive to pursue this case.

How do we fight this? Not for compensation but for justice. If my friend had been smaller, or frailer, they would be dead.

If anybody has any suggestions it would really help. Thanks so much.

What he has done before is completely irrelevant. If the police don't have evidence for THIS offence then they can't go with it.

Are you sure they said it would be "too expensive" ?

I hope your friend is ok.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, perhaps he will kill someone next time.
    What a sick country this is turning into.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Do you know what the crime the person was charged with by the police,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    What he has done before is completely irrelevant. If the police don't have evidence for THIS offence then they can't go with it.

Are you sure they said it would be "too expensive" ?

I hope your friend is ok.

I'll check the actual wording with my friend - I should have thought of that - thanks!

They are very scarred and frightened of going out. I sound like a small child but it just not fair.
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Do you know what the crime the person was charged with by the police,

I'll check and repost. I'm sorry - I should have been clearer. I've now asked for details (charges and words used by CPS and police) rather than a scattershot approach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll check the actual wording with my friend - I should have thought of that - thanks!

They are very scarred and frightened of going out. I sound like a small child but it just not fair.

I understand how you feel. But we can't have the police and the courts prosecuting folks without evidence just because they have a previous record.

Your friend might well be in no doubt who his attacker was but that alone is not enough to get a conviction in court.
    Forum Member
    I dare not post all the info. Suffice to say that the chap had disposed of all evidence (before he was arrested days later) and was therefore not charged.

Heaven help his next victim.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It possible to fund a private prosecution. I'm in the middle of something now, but I will pm you with more information.
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    It possible to fund a private prosecution. I'm in the middle of something now, but I will pm you with more information.

Thank you so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare not post all the info. Suffice to say that the chap had disposed of all evidence (before he was arrested days later) and was therefore not charged.

Heaven help his next victim.

No you mustn't.

Well hopefully he will slip up sometime and get caught out.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A civil action is possible to the point of recovering damages from the attacker but they tend to be more successful after a criminal court has found the attacker quilty, not sure how legal aid works in Britain but in N.I we have to take out an insurance policy with a solicitor which must be paid up front just incase the case fails. A civil action is less reliant on witness statements and evidence etc but will not lead to a criminal conviction of the attacker.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    A civil action is possible to the point of recovering damages from the attacker but they tend to be more successful after a criminal court has found the attacker quilty, not sure how legal aid works in Britain but in N.I we have to take out an insurance policy with a solicitor which must be paid up front just incase the case fails. A civil action is less reliant on witness statements and evidence etc but will not lead to a criminal conviction of the attacker.

And, obviously, only worthwhile if the attacker has any money, which your typical criminal doesn't.

There's still the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme though.