Options

The Singer Takes It All 9PM - Channel 4

Comments

• Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually think it was that bad...
    I mean tonight's show was a bit of a farce but I think it has potential
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got bored by the third or fourth singer. With improved technology it could be more exciting. A quicker conveyor belt which is sensitive to every vote. Surely each percentage should correspond to a place on the belt. They shouldn't get in the gold zone if they've only got 70 percent positive votes.
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great! Yes ok it was very flawed but its a bit of friday night fluff...i dont think its meant to be taken seriously
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On twitter:

"Due to technical issues, the app will not be registering votes live during this episode."

So they will be basically making up the percentages for these acts. Great!

What? Well what's the effing point then?:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the app thing is a disaster though Alan seems to be coping ok but its a bit of a nightmare

Oh I missed this but I really want to watch this now.:D:D
    A bit like watching that carcrash which was known as 'Splash'.
    When is it repeated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camera keeps cutting out.

App is messing up and the votes aren't in synch with the percentages on the screen.

Timings are wrong and the contestants know it.

Poor Alan.

This sounds so hilariously bad. I can't wait to watch this.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    No point in Rob Beckett or Pixie Lott being there and this show was completely beneath poor Alan Carr. Who else could have done it? I would say its even beneath Davina.

Joe Swash?
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Lucky I recorded it. Managed to see it in about 10/15 minutes.

I think this will be the only series.

Same here, just watched it on full fast forward. They will have to have very deep pockets if this is the standard of a winning act....lovely young lady, £15k in the bag for uni...winner and well done to her.

Will not be watching again.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    recorded it as well.
    format had potential.
    but all the errors the picture breaking up which i had also.

The poor first guy could have been in the gold place but because the votes were wrong we will never know. He had a lovely voice as well , the kind of voice i like singers to have.
    They could all sing on the whole. The one girl bless was nervous & the blonde haired girl who stayed on had a stunning voice.

The winner didn't deserve 15k if the first guy & others were actually in the gold area longer.
    Unfair if the case.
    I hope they iron out the issues.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot this was on....did a singer called Nikki perform ? She was our wedding singer last year.

Will see if show is on catch up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    recorded it as well.
    format had potential.
    but all the errors the picture breaking up which i had also.

The poor first guy could have been in the gold place but because the votes were wrong we will never know. He had a lovely voice as well , the kind of voice i like singers to have.
    They could all sing on the whole. The one girl bless was nervous & the blonde haired girl who stayed on had a stunning voice.

The winner didn't deserve 15k if the first guy & others were actually in the gold area longer.
    Unfair if the case.
    I hope they iron out the issues.

No. The first guy's audition was good but when he sang on the show he was awful.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 the channel that would not buy 'The Voice' because it was "too derivative" (code for too expensive?) gives us this drivel. Basic problem its dull, and seems to be a rip off of the recent itv quiz show 'Ejector Seat' or the old talent show 'The Gong Show'
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it but there's not a lot of point in me watching it again as I don't have a smart phone.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they actually going to have a 2nd episode of this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the belt go faster the higher the percentage? That's the only way they can be in the gold zone longer when it's moving that way at the start.

This method doesn't even make sense.
    For example, if a singer registers 80% on the onscreen graphic, then the belt needs time to move to 80% of the distance to the gold spot. So if the vote goes down, then the singer never even gets to 80%..

So how does the vote relate to distance traveled on the belt if it isn't in realtime?

Does anybody actually believe that the vote is hooked into some technologically advanced machine that moves the belt anyway? The technology of this show probably extends to some guy pulling the belt along with a piece of wire and just guessing.

I think people have established now that this isn't really a talent show where it's a real competition. It's just a light entertainment show where the main entertainment comes from Alan Carr having fun with the two celebrity guests.
    So all that matters is that it delivers on the comedy entertainment front.
    So the question is...does it?
    The guy with the blonde hair and teeth was introduced as a comedian. Which confuses me. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but he was just talking like any old bloke who had been invited on. Just like a normal member of the public who may as well have been someone from the studio audience. Not really being on there to work as a comedian, and more like what he's probably like in normal life when he isn't at work.
    So I don't really understand what the show is trying to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianlawn wrote: »
    Yer this goldzone doesnt make sense, also some songs build up slowly. it seems it the first few seconds that decides who wins not on the %s

I think that the clapometer from the old talent show Opportunity Knocks was probably a more accurate measurement of how good an act is.
    And I'm not joking either.

This show really is a completely misguided balls up.
    The concept just simply doesn't work. I'm very surprised that this even got commissioned.
    It feels like an early concept that some TV executive really fell in love with and tried to get people to force it to work in time for when the series was due to be broadcast. But they couldn't quite do it so rushed something out in time which they hoped on a wing and a prayer would somehow work on the night.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    No. The first guy's audition was good but when he sang on the show he was awful.

I disagree i thought he had a great voice
    but thats just what i like

either way it is really flawed
    cant see it retuning , if it wasnt to save alans reputation i wouldnt be shocked it if was shelved in a few weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Bother's Bar it's explained (or presumed) that there are three speeds of belt going forward and three going in reverse - although that wasn't explained by Alan (or "Lips").

It also doesn't get around how someone who starts with 80% yes won't get to gold zone sooner than someone with 77% yes, cos there just aren't enough speeds for there to be a difference. It's not like a car accelerator.

As others have said, it's not a singing show, it's a "make a good initial impression before you sing, then sing quite well to stay in the gold zone" game.

Looks like it needed another few months R&D before it made it on air, to me.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did they not count any of the votes for the entire show in the end? I was under the impression they had fixed the problem after the second singer because the app seemed to work for me and they didn't mention it wasn't being used.

The show was a bit of a car crash but we somewhat enjoyed it once we realised it was more of a game show than a talent show. It's just Friday night fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    I disagree i thought he had a great voice
    but thats just what i like

either way it is really flawed
    cant see it retuning , if it wasnt to save alans reputation i wouldnt be shocked it if was shelved in a few weeks.

You like singers who sing out of tune for the first two thirds of the song?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they actually going to have a 2nd episode of this?

There are only four eps in the series. I believe at one point they were going to run it on consecutive nights - Fri/Sat and Fri/Sat.

They're probably thankful they didn't as it gives them a week to sort out their, ahem, technical issues. But that won't be long enough to sort the format, of course.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only four eps in the series. I believe at one point they were going to run it on consecutive nights - Fri/Sat and Fri/Sat.

They're probably thankful they didn't as it gives them a week to sort out their, ahem, technical issues. But that won't be long enough to sort the format, of course.

they need to drop the rocky horror show lips.
    stop trying to convince people Alan Carr is doing chatty man.
    drop the guests Pixie lott looked so fedup being there, it was bordering on cringe.
    they said it was a show all about fun not to be taken seriously but that wasn't the impression they were giving most of the time. I do think Alan was the wrong person for this show they needed someone much younger and maybe a new face.
    and sort out the voting they rammed down peoples throats every chance they got about that bloody App then it goes belly up :blush:
  • Options
    ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Bump*
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain to me why I'm planning to watch this again?
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not but will see what people think of it, unless they get rid of gold zone its stupid