The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Itv is about chasing ratings that pays their bills. We fund BBC and at the moment I am concerned with the direction it's going. The closure of BBC 3 is a kick in the teeth for 18 to 30 year old license fee payers and presumably that content won't be gong to BBC 1 if it's all about ratings ?
    It's a fact that the BBC are more concerned about appealing to mainstream audiences overall than 18 to 30 year olds these days, that's just the way it goes. The average viewer of BBC One has increased in the last few years from 56 to 59. With the cancellation of BBC3, the average age of a BBC viewer will continue to increase. Content for 18-30 year olds will be less widely available with the shut down of BBC3.

However look at the bright side: by saving money from cancelling bbc3, there will be more hours of mainstream drama on BBC1 which will appeal to a larger mainstream audience than what BBC3 could offer. Sometimes the BBC has to make tough decisions. They have decided to prioritise the mainstream audience over the cult 18-30 audience. I think once you take the pros and cons of everything into account, it is the right decision. Some new 18-30 stuff will end up on iPlayer anyways, so not all is lost.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Its like some alternative universe on here tonight. Charlotte Moore is Big Brother (not the TV program) and Miranda is going into Room 101 (not the TV program) for disobedience.

Is it really Nineteen Eighty-Four?
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I just think there is a clear lack of loyalty in television these days. Not like the 70s and 80s when generally, besides a few big moves here and there, people were loyal to an organisation that had given them their big break in the past and big shows for them. It's a shame. We now end up with top talent like Ruth Jones on digital tv to audiences of 0.3million because they take the money instead of aiming for big audience figures. I can seriously envisage, based on what Miranda has done with that tweet, that she will find herself on Sky in about 5 years time to similarly poor audiences. These people think theyre bigger than they actually are, end up going to inferior tv channels, taking the money but end up ruining their mainstream careers.

Miranda thinks she's bigger than she is [no pun intended], but one day she will realise that she was a flash in the pan - Im sorry but has anyone actually seen her sitcom? I have, she's a one trick pony with a lazy gimmick of falling over all the time and talking to the camera with a weird face to try and get laughs. I just couldnt get into it. Beats me why 9million people watch it.
    Is this not the same Miranda that you were fawning over when you first heard that she was to present a pilot of The Generation Game? You thought she was brilliant then.:confused:
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, if I haven't been paying attention, when does The Generation Game return?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Sorry, if I haven't been paying attention, when does The Generation Game return?

I think it depends on when the BBC can locate a horse's head from somewhere.
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Heres a thought - what about Harry Hill for Gen Game?
  • OLD BAGOLD BAG Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »

I find that highly offensive >:(
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great British Bake Off followed by Suspects on Channel 5 for me tonight. Both excellent shows and I hope they both deliver decent ratings tomorrow morning. It's starting to feel like good TV is on again, following a sea of nothingness over the summer.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BAG wrote: »

Oh my God. You're not back are you. Don't worry, the horses head won't have been put in Lasagne.

Tip. Read the damn thread before posting. Makes you look less like a troll.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BAG wrote: »

Not if you watch The Godfather and the horse head spoofs! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Its like some alternative universe on here tonight. Charlotte Moore is Big Brother (not the TV program) and Miranda is going into Room 101 (not the TV program) for disobedience.

Is it really Nineteen Eighty-Four?

Charlotte Moore will be going into Room 101 to try and draft another Generation Game press release! :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Miranda, by daring to disobey Don Charlotte, is soon to be swimming with the fishes?

Meanwhile, Hitman Harry Hill is brought in under the guise of a BBC show, actually to do a "contract" on Christine Bleakly for her disloyalty to "The Corporation". Stouffer the Cat begged Harry to go straight but he couldn't resist one last job.

What are the chances of that happening...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Just reading a bit more from the Generation Game story.. will it happen or won't it.."we are working closely with Miranda on how a modern day Gen game would work whilst she continues to be committed to her work as an exceptional actress" says Charlotte Moore.

What should have happened was everybody sit down, say more, clarify what you need to say. With Miranda tweeting about The Generation Game then Charlotte Moore coming out and saying Miranda will do it, it just looks like an unprofessional PR eff up.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horse's head comment was based on a certain poster going off on one about Miranda possibly embarrassing the BBC and the latter's revenge which is apparently now in the offing. I didn't mean for it to offend.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    South Yorkshire Police disagree. :p

Where did they state that the BBC threatened them? Or even gave them an implied threat?

Oh hang on, the BBC probably sent them a polite email:

"That's a nice little headquarters building you've got there, it would be a shame to see it get ..... broken"
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Stella's a load of rubbish. It cant even get 0.3million in the overnights on Sky1, so no way would it have been huge for the BBC. Sky like to pretend that it's a successful comedy but it's not, the ratings for it are mediocre at best and have been in decline since series 1. If Stella is the best which Sky can come up with, then the BBC are lightyears ahead of them in the comedy genre.

Did you actually watch Stella?
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Did you actually watch Stella?

Personally I think it's better than Gavin and Stacey. It's Sky's highest rated comedy and gets over 1 million viewers plus multiple showings on Sky 1 and 2.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    Simon Webb from Blue for "Strictly Come Dancing" Poor? Good?? ;) these launch ratings are going to be on fire ... Not!!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Webb from Blue for "Strictly Come Dancing" Poor? Good?? ;) these launch ratings are going to be on fire ... Not!!

Also someone I've never heard of for Strictly - Thom Evans who apparently is one of the many exes of Kelly Brook (The Sun)
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,630
    Forum Member
    Wonder how "The Great British Bake Off" did last night. I can see why the companion programme in BBC TWO is not right after the main show if they plan to screen "Our Zoo" on the other channel, there may have been a dilemma for viewers with those choices. "The Apprentice" is not scheduled anywhere yet. Wonder if it could go against "Downton Abbey" as a nice alternative.
    Forum Member
    Wonder how "The Great British Bake Off" did last night. I can see why the companion programme in BBC TWO is not right after the main show if they plan to screen "Our Zoo" on the other channel, there may have been a dilemma for viewers with those choices. "The Apprentice" is not scheduled anywhere yet. Wonder if it could go against "Downton Abbey" as a nice alternative.

GBBO seems to be on a roll so cant see too much change with the ratings. It will be very interesting to see how Our Zoo does though. It looks like pretty good scheduling on the face of it but a lot of dramas have died on Wednesdays.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    On a bread roll?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only the BBC could make a successful series about people eating cakes and another with a man reading from a train timetable, extraordinary.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC doesn't do golden handcuff deals any more - and Christine will be off to New York with Frank soon.

She will also be doing some of Holly's maternity leave
This discussion has been closed.