Options

Shows you watched and got into VERY quickly

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not spamming (as this is the last new thread I do in TV for this week)

To flip my last thread on it's head now. What TV shows did you watch and REALLY get into almost instantly?

Doctor Who (2005) - I never watched the original series but the trailer for the new one back 2005 caught my eye and within about 15 minutes into the episode I was petty much hooked and knew this was going to be a good show.

Fairly Odd Parents - I used to watch Nicktoons in my teens but after a long time hiatus (or my attempted growing up period) I came to find that Rocko's Modern Life and Real Monsters were repeated on the nicktoons channel at 9pm each night and started to record them. This followed and one night I just left it on, within 5 minutes I was loving it, such an out of the box concept and such a cool animation style.

Danny Phantom - Sister show to above so I checked it out about 5 or 6 months being into the above. Wasn't 'that' sure after 5 minutes but by the time it got to the end I'd been reeled into it. So watched them all, still love it.

Spongebob Squarepants - Mate told me to watch it (as it's better than odd parents he said) I did and whilst I disagreed about it being better. It's again so out of the box and very entertaining so stuck with it and have watched a lot of the episodes several times now.

Bewitched - Don’t know why it appealed to me but it used to come on after watching the big breakfast and it was like a fantasy twist on some of the home life I could relate to. Still took me a while until I'd seen them all though.

Futurama - Almost an instant grabber this one. 3 minutes in and I was loving it.

Powerpuff Girls - Because everyone in the FOP fan base consider it the inspiration for that show. I checked it out and first episode was iffy but I liked the second and ploughed on with it. (Although I still have only watched season 1&2 properly in order - and lots of the others in a random jumbled order - I will get round to watching them all properly at some point).

Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy - My mate (who loves Pokemon and Airbender) was round my place when I was watching the PPG and this came on after it and he said it was pretty good and the premise rather shocked me for a children's show but it was out of the box enough and the 3 characters were different and bounced off each other pretty well. As above still only watched season 1 in order and lots of others in a jumbled order at present.

Life on Mars - The trailer caught my eye, was sucked into Sam Tyler's bizzare situlation very quickly wanted to see where it was leading to.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer. As I'm not a TV critic, I didn't suddenly notice it once they did a musical episode; I was on board from beginning to end (it's one of the few long-running series that I've watched every episode of).

Dark Angel. From the pilot onwards you could not move me from the TV set with a bomb every Wednesday (season one)/Monday (season two) night when Sky ran this. I admit it did have more than a little to do with one Jessica Alba... ;)

Ghost Whisperer. I'm ashamed to say that I've managed to stay with this more than Medium (thanks to its more coherent scheduling in the UK) - it may have changed its brief somewhat from the televisual comfort food of season one to the darker aspect of its later ones, but I still keep watching.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hooked on Dexter from episode 1.

Usually it takes me a good 5/6 episodes to really get into a show (not including spin-offs).
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Dexter had me as well right from episode 1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me it has to be Underbelly I was hooked from the minute I first saw it on DVD
    and also Law and Order UK I got hooked on that the moment I put the DVD in
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stargate, Justified and Dexter spring instantly to mind.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only and only Jack Bauer and 24!
  • Options
    Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee, Doctor who, Torchwood, Veronica Mars, Charmed, Being Erica, Misfits, Family Guy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who
    Alan Partridge
    Life On Mars/Ashes
    Black Books
    Torchwood
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lie To Me, House, Fringe, Bones, other shows already mentioned.

Watched Caprica for a few episodes, then dropped it.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stargate, i was a imaginative kid at the time and it hooked me straight away with its ancient/alien imagery juxtaposed with modernity.

With Fringe i was a little tentative about in the pilot but by the end of the 1 season i was engrossed.

Law and Order, all of it's iterations. Easy to watch yet consistently good for the most part.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dexter - won me over within a few seconds.

Burn Notice - the voice over just clicked with me.

Lie To Me - as soon as Tim Roth appear on the screen is had me.

Pushing Daisies - had me with the Jim Dale narration

On reflection it seems that most of the shows I'm following I got into them within a few seconds, any show that needed a few eps to get on the to-watch list, well they aren't there for long. So rather than list the 30+odd other shows I'm following, Ima gonna stop right now :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Forgot about Family Guy. I got into that right back when it was originally aired on Sky One and liked it back then but then had forgotten all about it until I suddenly found it airing on FX whilst channel hoping and was re-hooked pretty quick. Then BBC2 started airing (along with American Dad) literally about 3 weeks later. I got into AD pretty quickly too (took about 2 episodes).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mighty Boosh
    The IT Crowd
    Snuffbox
    Doctor Who (2005 relaunch)
    CSI:Vegas
    Charlie Brooker's Screen/Newswipe (as soon as each episode ended, I wanted more..it's like an addiction)
    Nathan Barley
    Torchwood
    Nighty Night
    Gavin and Stacey
    Scrubs
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Good Wife
    Glee
    Huge
    LOST
    Grey's Anatomy
    Desperate Housewives
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The IT Crowd
    Snuffbox
    Charlie Brooker's Screen/Newswipe (as soon as each episode ended, I wanted more..it's like an addiction)
    Nathan Barley

A man of taste :cool: :o

Loved Persons Unknown, Louie, Caprica and Lie To Me from the first thirty seconds onwards. In fact I loved Lie To Me the moment I saw the credits :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    West Wing - was hooked within minutes
    Lost - by the end of the pilot
    Veronica Mars - saw the intro to the pilot on US TV while flicking through channels when stuck in a hotel. Was instantly hooked.
    Pushing Daisies. Spent all of the pilot sitting with a huge grin on my face
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    House MD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me Cold Feet, The Family, Cracker, The Street, The Lakes to name a few.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    I watched not one of these shows from the start but as soon as I started to watch then I was hooked and had to catch up on past shows/series on DVD or Gold.

One Foot In The Grave
    The Royle Family
    The Office
    Gavin & Stacey
    Outnumbered
  • Options
    Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who
    The Big Bang Theory
    Two and a Half Men
    How I Met Your Mother
    House
    Scrubs
    Friends

Not sure if these count as they are panel game shows:
    QI
    Would I Lie To You?
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spooks - I started watching it part way through the fifth series and even though I didn't really understand what was going on I was hooked by the tension and intrigue immediately.

Gossip Girl - I just adored it from the first minute I saw of it. Heavenly escapism... lots of beautiful wealthy people in gorgeous clothes living the kind of life I wish I was living! I love it and I'm not ashamed! :D
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Afterlife

Primeval ( mainly due to Lucy Brown )
    Life on Mars
    Apparitions
    Pushing Daisies
    Sopranos
  • Options
    Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491