Options

Secret Dealers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
Forum Member
✭✭
Tucked away in the early afternoon I stumbled across this programme.
It has Kate Bliss from Bargain Hunt presenting.
The idea is that three antique dealers are let loose for one hour in a participating person's house to bid on the owner's collections and antiques around the home.

The highest bidder of the dealers on an each item wins provided the owner wants to sell at the price bid.
I quite enjoyed the programme and seeing what collections people had because I am nosey.

But what staggered me is just how low the cheeky dealers were hoping to pay.

As a collector of model toy soldiers I was shocked when one dealer put in a bid for only £100 pounds for a cabinet full of about 100 WB soldiers.

My point is that the dealers must roughly know the true value of the item. A few quid under the independant valuers is fair enough but some of the offers were ridiculously low.

Thank goodness there is an independant valuer who Kate Bliss can refer to before the owner sells the item.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many Dealers always try to pay the lowest money possible. They will find pretend goods have faults that they don't and then act as if they are doing you a favour in taking them away for a pittance. They then go on to try to flog the goods on for a huge amount of money, that is why they can ask £200 for something and then you can barter them down to a much smaller amount and they will still make a profit. And don't ask them about their VAT returns either.

BTW the programme is dreadful.
  • Options
    ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bliss pulls some odd faces
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The programme is still bloody awful. :eek:
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy this programme, although it isn't my favourite antiques gem to be aired. Antiques dealers are, ultimately, in business to make a profit and do, therefore, make some derisory bids. The final decision is with the vendors; if they are happy accepting a low offer, then that is their choice. I do agree that there needs to be an independent valuation, as not all owners will have any idea of the worth of their valuables. Also, Pure Bliss is staunchly on the side of the contestants, attempting to get them the best possible deal. In previous shows, if she doesn't feel they have been offered enough, or if they are sentimentall attached to an item, she has brought the dealers back in to make increased bids.
    It does seem to be just another version of Dickinsons Real Deal with a Bargain Hunt expert, Kate, presenting, and DRD experts bidding.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I enjoy this programme, I wonder when it is back on?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's back on now. What a load of pointless tosh this programme is. The dealers (who aren't remotely secret) place secret bids against the items they want to buy. But it doesn't matter what these bids are because later they bid against each other openly in the most cringeworthy manner possible. They always seem to bid higher than the valuation so the owners of the antiques aren't in any danger of losing out.

All this nonsense is spread out over a whole hour because they go on to visit a second location with a second set of antique owners. At the very end we find out how much money the dealers made (or lost) on some of the items shown.

The competition between the dealers is contrived, the banter between them is forced but the open bidding between them has none of the tension of a real auction. So the programme fails on all counts. It makes Dickinson's Real Deal seem like an entertainment masterclass.