Options

AOL push for Direct Debit

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
Forum Member
Has anyone else had problems? In September I received notice that unless I went to DD I would be charged an extra 99p/month. Reluctantly I signed up for DD in the first week of October. I then received a bill which said "Do not worry, you do not need to do anything, this payment will be taken automatically by Direct Debit on or immediately after the 11/10/10".

On Thursday I was cut off without warning. After spending an age on their technical helpline where he reset my dialbb I was told to switch off for 30 minutes and then it would work. Of course, it didn't. It then dawned on me that I had not noticed the DD come out of my bank a/c. I called their billing line and after 30 minutes of dire musak I was told that as the DD came into effect on the 13th it could not be used so, yes, my line had been barred and I would have to pay by card to get back on. I was told the technical help should have checked if there was a bar as the first test.

On Friday it still would not work so back to the technical helpline. Had the bar been lifted? Yes. I was then taken through a totally different routine from yesterday involving deleting the existing dialbb connection. He then said that on the left of the screen there would be a menu with 'create dialbb' on it. There was no such menu. We went through the process all over again and there was still no such menu. He then said he could help me no further because the fault must be with my computer and I would have to find a local computer technician to come and sort it. He then gave me the pass code to enter into the new dialbb.

After putting the phone down I simply did a system restore to undo his handiwork and remembered the bit of the control panel we went into yesterday, entered the new code and got straight on.

Roll on the end of the contract - I shall be off to somebody whose 'customer service' actually is a service.

Comments

• Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharw wrote: »
    Has anyone else had problems? In September I received notice that unless I went to DD I would be charged an extra 99p/month. Reluctantly I signed up for DD in the first week of October. I then received a bill which said "Do not worry, you do not need to do anything, this payment will be taken automatically by Direct Debit on or immediately after the 11/10/10".

On Thursday I was cut off without warning. After spending an age on their technical helpline where he reset my dialbb I was told to switch off for 30 minutes and then it would work. Of course, it didn't. It then dawned on me that I had not noticed the DD come out of my bank a/c. I called their billing line and after 30 minutes of dire musak I was told that as the DD came into effect on the 13th it could not be used so, yes, my line had been barred and I would have to pay by card to get back on. I was told the technical help should have checked if there was a bar as the first test.

On Friday it still would not work so back to the technical helpline. Had the bar been lifted? Yes. I was then taken through a totally different routine from yesterday involving deleting the existing dialbb connection. He then said that on the left of the screen there would be a menu with 'create dialbb' on it. There was no such menu. We went through the process all over again and there was still no such menu. He then said he could help me no further because the fault must be with my computer and I would have to find a local computer technician to come and sort it. He then gave me the pass code to enter into the new dialbb.

After putting the phone down I simply did a system restore to undo his handiwork and remembered the bit of the control panel we went into yesterday, entered the new code and got straight on.

Roll on the end of the contract - I shall be off to somebody whose 'customer service' actually is a service.

My ex had the same issue. Without fail every month she rang on 27th, paid via card and no problem. Then had a letter saying that unless she paid by direct debit, it would cost an extra £3.50 per month :eek: (Still have letter to prove it). No problem, followed the advice to setup dd online and away we go. All of a sudden last friday calls barred, although bb still active. Cue 6 DAYS of calls back and for, arguing that she hadn't even had an e-bill to notify of amount due, nevermind confirmation of dd date. Over a week later and phone is still barred due to what they are calling 'technical issue'. Complained to the highest ranking person I could speak to, who offered her a £4 rebate for loss of service. Needless to say that was unacceptable, so she asked to be released from her contract 7 months early due to poor service. After 5 minutes of hold, operator came back and said she could leave. I blame the takeover by talk talk, as before that she never had a problem.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Isn't that a substantial change to your agreement which would allow you to cancel your contract?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    What a nightmare!!!

I didn't read the small print about this in AOL's September email so the amount deducted from my CC showed the extra 99p this month. I decided to set-up a DD online but I wasn't sure about the stipulation that the bank account name must exactly match the AOL account name. The BB account is in my name but the only bank account I can use for DD is the joint account I share with my missus. So I contacted AOL to verify if this would be OK and after numerous phone calls and emails to the "customer care team" (LOL), I'm none-the-wiser.

From your experiences, I suppose I should expect a failed DD in November. Didn't I see a warning about a £10 charge for late payment in the same email?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    omg AOL. I'm amazed anyone still uses them. I didn't think anyone did still use them after they stopped bombarding people's mailboxes with CDs.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting, Tiscali customers will also be going through the same push to move towards direct debit payments.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH uses AOL and does pay by DD, so hasn't been cut off. Might as well be, though, as the service is so slow as to be almost unusable at weekends. Please, everyone who has ever had any trouble with AOL, post on the "We hate AOL threads", and maybe we can discourage people from using them.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the comments on this particular ISP, it seems AOL service should be renamed to 'LOL service'.

:D
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I can remember a couple of years ago ..I always paid through direct debit and at christmas time I was looking at my bank account online to see what had still to be paid and looking to see how much money I had left .. and noticed that aol hadn't taken a payment out then looked to see and they hadn't taken a payment for a few months..of course a few days later I got a bill for £75..right before christmas
  • Options
    LTTLTT Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I rang to cancel my contract after being with AOL for years. Firstly they tried to rubbish o2 (who I told them I was moving to), tried muddying their name by saying they have poor customer service, poor speeds in my area etc.Finally got the MAC code off the them after two phone calls.

After cancelling and being disconnected, for some reason (call it intuition or knowing how bad AOL were!) i went into my online bank account and cancelled the AOL DD setup.

Three months later I get a letter from AOL saying I hadn't been paying the bill and that they would be pursuing further action to get the money, basically implying legal action. I rang and explained and for once they actually were fine and said it was their mistake. Needless to say I still got the operators name, the date and the time and noted them, which I have still in my drawer just incase AOL come back from the dead and try to claim some money! So glad I cancelled the setup because no doubt I would never have got the 3 months back if they had took it.

Now we have talktalk on home phone (not broadband - got O2 for that for 2 years and they have been fantastic) and keep getting phone calls to switch to their broadband - my parents don't understand why I don't want to switch to them :rolleyes:- can you tell they never used the internet much when we were with AOL?

AOL are one of the worst companies I have ever had a service with or bought something off. I will never ever use them again.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LTT wrote: »
    AOL are one of the worst companies I have ever had a service with or bought something off. I will never ever use them again.

I'd add Orange to that too... (although their mobile phone service ain't too bad)..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    It gets worse! I have received an email from AOL today announcing a one third increase in the monthly fee from January and if you pay by credit card the extra fee (99p) goes up to £1.99 for a continuous authority and £4.50 for individual payments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gets worse! I have received an email from AOL today announcing a one third increase in the monthly fee from January and if you pay by credit card the extra fee (99p) goes up to £1.99 for a continuous authority and £4.50 for individual payments.

I had an email too, it states I shall now be paying £19.99 per month instead of the £10.98 I am paying at the moment (by monthly debit card payments). For the lousy speed I am getting? I don't think so.
  • Options
    MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member

Crap isn`t it
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    omg AOL. I'm amazed anyone still uses them. I didn't think anyone did still use them after they stopped bombarding people's mailboxes with CDs.

Considering the amount of slagging off they get on here, their customer base must be quite low. They seem to be losing customers on here every week.