Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    This response made me laugh because I feel like you and I'm also turning 25 in September:D

I sometimes think I would also have liked them if I was 11-13, but then again, I'm not so sure. They certainly don't remind me musically of any older boybands like BSB, Boyzone, Nsync, Take That, Blue or Westlife, none of them had such teen, bubblegum cheery music and I know I never liked that kind of music when I was a kid. I remember that I only liked Britney Spears at that age:D

So, I understand your view perfectly - they are way to cheery and bouncy for my musical taste:)

Well our teenage bands were far better, obviously :cool:
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Well our teenage bands were far better, obviously :cool:

You forgot Busted and Mcfly. I know not quite boybands because they wrote and played musical instruments but their music was pretty cheery pop :D

For example 5 colours in her hair, obviously
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate them but I don't like them either, mainly because of the huge amount of hype they get. They all seem to be fairly average singers of songs other people have written.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    You forgot Busted and Mcfly. I know not quite boybands because they wrote and played musical instruments but their music was pretty cheery pop :D

YeahIstilllikethemactually....

:o:o:o:o
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,137
    Forum Member
    I don't hate them but I don't like them either, mainly because of the huge amount of hype they get. They all seem to be fairly average singers of songs other people have written.

They have written parts of some songs - they've had some kind of input.

It's just the recorded songs don't show off their harmonies/voices as much as if they were singing live.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

I know that group like Mcfly, Busted and Jonas Brothers are seen as boybands, but to me I just can't see that - they always write their own songs, they sing pop/rock tunes, they don't wear clothes that match and they play instruments - all these things are not in definition of a boyband. To me, they are a po/rock bands and I will never see them as boybands..

On the side note, I can't believe the MTV I have is always saying Lawson are also a boyband. The biggest thing that clearly shows they aren't a boyband is the fact that they have 1 lead singer. I just don't know what is up with the MTV, they are a pop/rock band:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

That's pretty funny:D I can only imagine how embarrassed he was. I bet that the driver had no idea who the boy was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find that groups like 1D i.e. boybands are only hated/disliked by half the population, i.e. the male half.

It's cause?

Jealousy. They'll deny it of course but they can't bear other males who are rich, young, goodlooking and worst of all - have girls chasing after them down the street.

All the things they want but will never have. It's as old as time.

Yet when the same argument is used when women dislike other women, it's sexist. :rolleyes:

The reality is that most of these people (those with sense) dislike One Direction for what they are - a manufactured plastic boyband that symbolises everything wrong with the modern music industry. Yet, for some reason, the media thinks the sun shines out of their unmentionables, and compares them to acts such as The Beatles, Queen and other classic bands. What's not to dislike?
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that groups like 1D i.e. boybands are only hated/disliked by half the population, i.e. the male half.

It's cause?

Jealousy. They'll deny it of course but they can't bear other males who are rich, young, goodlooking and worst of all - have girls chasing after them down the street.

All the things they want but will never have. It's as old as time.

That must be why all males hated Elvis, Paul McCartney, Marc Bolan and Michael Jackson in their prime.

Oh, wait...

Hmm. Well that's very odd. I wonder if talent or lack thereof may be a factor? No, couldn't be. That wouldn't play into your fantasy of every man on the planet being desperate to be a puppet who's briefly idolised by pre-pubescent imbeciles and then ridiculed for the rest of their life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shattered. wrote: »
    Yet when the same argument is used when women dislike other women, it's sexist. :rolleyes:

The reality is that most of these people (those with sense) dislike One Direction for what they are - a manufactured plastic boyband that symbolises everything wrong with the modern music industry. Yet, for some reason, the media thinks the sun shines out of their unmentionables, and compares them to acts such as The Beatles, Queen and other classic bands. What's not to dislike?

This. They are what they are and personally, I don't mind that they exist - they are just 1 of many boybands that will come in the future, there are nothing we haven't seen before. However, it is baffling that the media are so infatuated with them. exaggerating their success all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people hate 1D cos they're not cool. simple as - itd be the same if the Saturday's were as successful, theyre the most popular band at the minute so they're the most obvious target for hatred.9
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    people hate 1D cos they're not cool. simple as - itd be the same if the Saturday's were as successful, theyre the most popular band at the minute so they're the most obvious target for hatred.9

You're confusing 'hatred' with simple dislike.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,137
    Forum Member
    Not cool? Referring to their image or vocals?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't mind them as people but musically, I don't rate their music. I can deal with that though and focus on the music I actually do like.

The only issue I have however is their fanbase and yes, realistically, I'm sure most of them are fine but the vocal bunch who abuse and send death threat need a bloody kick up the backside and shouldn't be allowed to use social media if they can't behave themselves.
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly Jealousy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe jealousy is the reason. In that way, it could be said it is the reason of hatred towards every successful celebrity out there. Maybe the other artists are jealous of their success, but I highly doubt that the public is jealous.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate One Direction, but it's all been done before hasn't it? The Cheeky Boy Band is so stale.

Something all One Direction fans will realise themselves 20 years down the line after the next 20 years of endless Best Band Evahs.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not jealous of them, i just don't like them.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly Jealousy.

don't be ridiculous

the main reason is that people don't like injustice. It doesn't matter whether it's on a large scale (governments stealing people's savings etc) or a trivial scale, a bunch of lads being rewarded waaaaaaaaaayyy beyound their talent, it still rankles. It's also not a great message to send out to youngsters either - that talent, application to a craft, etc. won't do much for you but looks will get you everywhere.

There's all sorts of justifiable reasons for not liking them, it's far more difficult to justify liking them i'd have thought. Why doesn't someone start a thread asking why do people like One Direction:p it'd be more interesting;)
  • LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry/Liam can sing well, so whatevs
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly Jealousy.
    LADIEES AND GENNULMEN, WE HAVE A WINNUH
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    LADIEES AND GENNULMEN, WE HAVE A WINNUH

If I was going to be jealous of someone, I'd pick someone with actual talent and substance who's career had a chance of lasting longer than 5 or 6 years.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're talented for nothing which in itself deserves a pat on the back! They're going to be covering Ian Dury and the Blockheads classic 'Spasticus Autisticus', apparently Cowell thinks the song's all about him so he bought the rights for those liddle poppets to yell over. Apparently. RIP Ian Dury, genius who would hate music as it is today.