Options

4:2:2 Feeds

LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
Forum Member
✭✭✭
None of my boxes will show 4:2:2 feeds but last night I recorded one then put my hard drive onto my pc, I opened the recorded file and it played fine, which begged the question, if it's just a matter of a software upgrade, why don't more boxes support 4:2:2? I only know of the AZ box but thats expensive.

Comments

• Options
    pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of my boxes will show 4:2:2 feeds but last night I recorded one then put my hard drive onto my pc, I opened the recorded file and it played fine, which begged the question, if it's just a matter of a software upgrade, why don't more boxes support 4:2:2? I only know of the AZ box but thats expensive.

Well spotted. I didn't know you could do that - a lot might find that very handy even though it won't be live. What did you use to play it back.

You can do it on Linux receivers tx'd to a pc - very similar method really but then it's live & most PC cards just do 4:2:2 - even a basic USB Skystar - it's just not required for mainstream use on stbs re costs because I don't think it is just software ... a PC is more versatile for any resolution & colour depth so then it is just software & since you recorded the stream all the info is still there.

Great find!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well spotted. I didn't know you could do that - a lot might find that very handy even though it won't be live. What did you use to play it back.

You can do it on Linux receivers tx'd to a pc - very similar method really but then it's live & most PC cards just do 4:2:2 - even a basic USB Skystar - it's just not required for mainstream use on stbs re costs because I don't think it is just software ... a PC is more versatile for any resolution & colour depth so then it is just software & since you recorded the stream all the info is still there.

Great find!.

I used VideoReDo to play it back, VideoReDo is editing software which I use to back up files and take out adverts, it also converts files so I'm going to try to convert a 4:2:2 file into a .mpg file and see if it'll play back on my sat box.
  • Options
    remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    I used VideoReDo to play it back, VideoReDo is editing software which I use to back up files and take out adverts, it also converts files so I'm going to try to convert a 4:2:2 file into a .mpg file and see if it'll play back on my sat box.

4:2:2 is an mpg file.

Receivers wise it is nothing to do with software, the decoder chips simply don't support it.
  • Options
    John896John896 Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I have always used a USB Skystar with DVBViewer,and a Azbox for the feeds.They both work very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remlap wrote: »
    4:2:2 is an mpg file.

Receivers wise it is nothing to do with software, the decoder chips simply don't support it.

I know it's a .mpg format but my box records in .ts format, so I'm going to try to convert it back to .mpg and see if anything happens.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's a .mpg format but my box records in .ts format, so I'm going to try to convert it back to .mpg and see if anything happens.

It won't make any difference, there's no difference in the mpeg contents between transport stream and programme stream containers. Conversion without recoding is as fast as your PC can read and write data.

To get full details of the actual content open the file in Medianinfo and select tree view.
  • Options
    pedro2000ukpedro2000uk Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing is you can record a 4:2:2 feed on any receiver with record to .ts & put it in a PC and see it with the right software - I think that's great with no extra hardware .. OK it's not live but it's got to be handy for some uses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing is you can record a 4:2:2 feed on any receiver with record to .ts & put it in a PC and see it with the right software - I think that's great with no extra hardware .. OK it's not live but it's got to be handy for some uses.

It will be, there's been feeds in the past that I've ignored due to it been in 4:2:2.
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vlc player is recommended
  • Options
    The SnafferThe Snaffer Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The old QualiTV receivers used to give a live picture with 4.2.2 but only SD, not 4.2.2 HD. There might be some of these popping up on the auction site now and again. However, as other posters have mentioned, almost any PC satellite card will clear 4.2.2.

Snaffos
  • Options
    remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    QualiTV boxes are pretty useless now as well even for SD since majority of feeds are DVB-S2