Peter Kay / Dave Spikey row ?

Comments

• RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Carol-Ann wrote:
    I watched almost 3 hours of PK on Channel four last week, it didnt make me laugh once. a year ago I would have said Pk was the funniest man since sliced or Garlic bread. Now everything is a re-hash, he needs to write a lot more stuff, and soon.

to be fair, that show was a repeat!! so it did seem like re-hash, because it was :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote:
    You know the office comedian thing? That's my boss. She's a one woman encyclopaedia of borrowed one liners.

Garlic? Bread? Done in the northern accent. That's one of her favourites. So boring after the 200th time!

She sounds like a barrel of laughs :rolleyes: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Spoilt Kid wrote:
    How long is it since he first cracked the "garlic bread" gag FFS! Come on Peter, start earning your massive earnings and try writing some new jokes! If you're half as good as you think you are, it shouldn't be that difficult.

Why shouldnt he mention garlic bread, its not as if he does a routine to it anymore, just a mention. Imagine seeing McCartney live and he doesnt do Hey Jude or any other singer not performing their famous songs. Why cant a comedian repeat a line?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can't handle the fact that he's been enjoying life for the last few years and not doing much work. What's the point in earning millions from touring then not enjoying it with your family? As for the Spikey 'row', it's a real shame that they won't work together again but Dave's no innocent in it all, even though Peter's ego's bigger than his belly, they're both as stubborn as each other.

That Peter Kay Thing is still the best thing Kay's done, and even though he co-wrote it with Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice, you can't deny it would have been nothing without Peter himself and his experiences. It's a fact that they were a great writing team and still had many good series' in them but it's all messed up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    Why does he have to have his name in the title of nearly everything he does on TV ? :confused:
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, we all know who the talent was. If it wasn't for Peter Kay there would be no PN. Spikey and the other guy should be grateful.
    Phoenix Nights was written by Peter Kay, Neil Fitzmaurice and Dave Spikey. But when the second series was nominated for a BAFTA Kay put his name forward alone and not his co-writers. Understandably annoyed them and is one of the major reasons for the fallout. That's why I was glad The Office won.
  • yoyo_ninja_girlyoyo_ninja_girl Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    like most people Ive just got bored with Peter Kay, I loved his first dvd the second was okay, then they started showing new shows on tv which just seemed to be the other two shows patched together.

Someone made the point earlier about musicians and how you would be dissapointed if they didnt play their top hits, the point is when you go see a band you want to hear the top hits and sing along, with comedy you dont want to see a hash up of an old show, it doesnt have the same impact and its certainly not as funny the 100th time round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Morecambe and Wise had an hour-and-half of material that they used for their live act and never used on television.

The career of PK has the all the signs of going the same way as Reeves and Mortimer. Intial brilliance written at night sat at the kitchen table while holding down a regular job. Then - when the money rolls in - big houses in the country, expensive hobbies (horse, aeroplanes, classic cars) and in Vic Reeves' case - a young blonde with plastic breasts. The enthusiasm for sitting in closed rooms for hours crafting gags wanes and lame game shows and easy talk shows inevitably follow.

If Peter Kay isn't prresenting a version of either 'Blankety Blank' or 'The Generation Game' within the year - I'll bare my backside in Woolworth's window.
  • jamesp26jamesp26 Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW! This new found hatred for Peter Kay is really quite amazing. Maybe most people here are more annoyed that whilst he has found fame and success they still spend most of their lives in front of a computer on forums complaining about stuff.

I'm no big Kay fan but have found him very funny few the years. He was quite up front about having some time off and i find it quite unbelievable that people are castigating him for this and also complaining that TV repeats mean that it appears material is being used all the times. I've only seen him do the garlic bread sketch a couple of times not including the repeats.

As for Dave Spikey - i love the way certain people seem to regard him as some sort of comedy genius who made Peter Kay. On 9 out of 10 cats he is by far the worst panelist (you know someone is bad when they have to explain their jokes after they have told them) and to be honest, i had never heard of him before Phoenix Nights. Also, I can't believe people are basing some of the found hatred on some Wikipedia reports and some radio interviews! All a bit sad really.

Just goes to show how fickle the British public are really. Instead of sit back and wait for a guy to spend some time with his family and come back with more material you hope that someones career will end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not object to the time off, writers block or even retirement for a comedian, and i do still laugh at old Peter Kay DVDs. However, what I do object to is saying you are going to take time off then releasing a 'new' DVD during that time for a bit of cash that is simply another DVD routine filmed in a different location.
  • pinky2006pinky2006 Posts: 10,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty ironic (possibly hypocritical) that Peter said in his book that most comedians are "vicious, two faced bastards with hearts the size of fly shit and egos the size of Belgium" when judging by what people have said on here, he's a bit like that that himself.

I stil like Peter and still find his DVDs funny but in his book it did get a tad annoying and contrived when he'd write things like "Happy as Larry, (who's Larry?) and "That fine rain that soaks you through". The thing I like about Peter Kay is that he doesn't rely on sex, booze or drugs for his material. I don't mind a bit of innuendo but these comedians whose material relies heavily on booze, sex drugs bore me and I don't find them in the least bit funny.

As for Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice, I do like them but I doubt whether they're angels either if this is true as slagging off PK will make them seem bitter and jealous of Peter's success because Peter is without a doubt, the most successful of the three but if PK didn't thank them then I suppose I can understand them being pissed off but it's not really worth falling out over. Maybe Peter thanked away from the cameras and the spotlight as he may get a bit shy when doing serious stuff.

As for Peter being rude, I'll decide that for myself if I meet him :)

They can't do Phoenix Nights without Dave and Neil though :(
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I like about Peter Kay is the 'Ice-cream wars', classic. Who helped him write that?

Perhaps he has a bit of Tony Hanncock about him, without the booze.
  • jamesp26jamesp26 Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinky2006 wrote:
    .....when judging by what people have said on here, he's a bit like that that himself.

But thats the problem - people on here know nothing. They are basing their info on some dodgy wikipedia articles and excerpts from radio interviews and making 2+2=5. Before you know it, Peter Kay is a big headed so and so with no time for the people who made him (who all happen to be comedy geniuses and complete angels).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever watch the end credits of any Peter Kay Live DVD especially the ones that are Live from the Bolton Albert Halls and the Live from Manchester Arena.

You'll notice that he has to credit Dave Spikey for one of the jokes that he tells. He tried nicking it, but he had to credit Dave for it as Dave was going to sue him. It must have been one hellva falling out for him to do that.
  • WoowookidWoowookid Posts: 7,367
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=jamesp26]But thats the problem - people on here know nothing. They are basing their info on some dodgy wikipedia articles and excerpts from radio interviews and making 2+2=5. Before you know it, Peter Kay is a big headed so and so with no time for the people who made him (who all happen to be comedy geniuses and complete angels).[/QUOTE]

And do you know PK personally?

Unless anyone here does, Wikipedia and media pieces are all most people have to base their opinions on - including yourself probably. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't understand why people are saying "dave's no angel"? I must have missed what he did wrong?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    ive seen Dave spikeys stand up show twice and met him in the bar afterwards and he was a lovely bloke with a lot of time for his fans, even gave me a peck on the cheek. As much as i like Peter Kay i'd rather go for a drink with Dave any day. He is genuinely funny (8 out of 10 cats) and intelligent too if you saw him on Mastermind.
  • beast1982beast1982 Posts: 5,350
    Forum Member
    a colleague of mine met pk in a service station and said he was very polite and friendly and was very willling to sign autographs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shoe-gal wrote:
    ive seen Dave spikeys stand up show twice and met him in the bar afterwards and he was a lovely bloke with a lot of time for his fans, even gave me a peck on the cheek. As much as i like Peter Kay i'd rather go for a drink with Dave any day. He is genuinely funny (8 out of 10 cats) and intelligent too if you saw him on Mastermind.
    he is a lovely bloke, and yes - I'd forgotten mastermind! i couldn't believe how well he did! he certainly knew his stuff!!
    Forum Member
    Why does he have to have his name in the title of nearly everything he does on TV ? :confused:

Because Commisioning Editors, Executive Producers and Channel Controllers insist on it. His name puts bums on seats.
    Forum Member
    jamesp26 wrote:
    But thats the problem - people on here know nothing. They are basing their info on some dodgy wikipedia articles and excerpts from radio interviews and making 2+2=5. Before you know it, Peter Kay is a big headed so and so with no time for the people who made him (who all happen to be comedy geniuses and complete angels).

No, some of us work in telly and - in my case - live less than a mile away from Mr P. Kay.
  • pinky2006pinky2006 Posts: 10,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An extract from Peter Kay's biography about the row.

"The fall out had been rumbling for quite some time, as far back as the 1999 British Comedy Awards. Spikey had been miffed that he hadn't joined Peter onstage and he felt he hadn't got the credit his contribution deserved. In the following years, he told interviewers "That's all blown over now. We're friends, we text each other a lot these days, it's cheaper,"

Any chance of reconciliation seemed completely blown by 2004 however, when he (Dave) write on his website: "Talking of writing, I was watching the British Book Awards and was shocked and stunned when Phoenix Nights by Peter Kay was nominated in the category of "Best TV-related books of the year". I can only presume that they took out all the bits that Neil and I wrote, but then that begs the question as to why it's still such a thick book"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work with somebody whom wrote gags with Peter Kay for his early stand-up shows - and he hated him even before he became famous!!!

I don't really know.

There was one incident I heard about, which made me wonder if he's some kind of Krusty The Clown character...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does keep wittering on about how he feels like he is going to be found out any minute.

This seemed to be a theme in the book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,583
    Forum Member
    Although I would like to think of PK as a nice bloke, you can't really piece together a proper judgement from media articles and other people's opinions. There is evidence that the fame has gone to his head though, several interviews I've seen with him have given me this idea, but who knows? Unless you've met him personally, you really can't tell IMO.

Re: Amarillo & 500 miles. Amarillo was really good and a genius idea, but 500 miles, (although a good charity idea, maybe even so because PK did not go it alone this time) was not as widely hyped, as other FMs have said. If, come next Comic Relief, PK (if he's still around....) reworks another song to raise money, no harm done, but the gimic may have worn off for a few people IMO.