Comments

• Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I miss London too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Could you go back for a long weekend and stay with a friend maybe?
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Could you go back for a long weekend and stay with a friend maybe?

I do go back sometimes, but that makes it worse!! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    minkski wrote: »
    I do go back sometimes, but that makes it worse!! :(

Aww :( I understand, I've moved around a bit and get a longing for places. Sometimes being there makes you miss it because you know its short term :/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I'm moving to Scotland in the summer and I'm already finding it hard to leave London! I'm doing it to be nearer family but I love where I live... been tearing my hair out at this decision!
    So as a Scot who has lived in North-west London for 8 years, I've found it a lovely and pleasant place to live, and people are friendlier here than where I'm from :)
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend most of my time in Herts now, but still return to London weekly. I am in London now, but can't wait to get back to Hertfordshire.

The pace of life is a little less frantic up there. Having lived in and around London all my life the change is nice. :)

What part of Herts?

I used to live near Hatfield, and now live in South East London, but love going back to Herts too.

I love that Herts is near to London, but has beatiful countryside aswell.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in London until I was 36, when I moved to Sussex. I wouldn't go back and live in London for a king's ransom, horrid, crowded, noisy, dirty place.

Mind you, I feel the same about Brighton now, I think I'm about ready to move to a village.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love working in London but also I love living here on the South Coast with the South Downs one side and the English Channel the other. I think I have the best of both worlds

I do think that people working in London can appear to be a bit rude but as we work the longest day and have the furthest commute of everyone in the UK perhaps we are just a bit more stressed.
  • Options
    TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in London in my late teens and early twenties ( around 1970ish )

London was great fun to live in then. I could even afford to run a car and use it to get around, parties, music gigs, rock concerts etc.

I am sure the novelty value of living in London for a young person nowadays has greatly diminished.

If a young person nowadays can afford to run a car I am sure he would find using it in London to be a much more restricting experience ie finding parking places, paying parking charges etc.

To me you get a huge sense of over-crowding in London now.
    Maybe the 'official' population isn't much more than it was in 1970 but it certainly feels as though there a far more people living there now. ( even using public transport)

I think any feeling of overcrowding will automatically lead to a reduction in friendliness.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Well, it is not exactly on a par with Devon or Cornwall for example, but at least it is near London.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love London. I loved living there. I now love visiting, but I couldn't live there now.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not easy to develop a strong sense of community in London if you move in from outside. People born and bred in London have a clear advantage in that sense. London can be a very lonely place unless you know the right people there. (Yes that's true for everywhere, but it seems even truer for London.)

I feel the complete opposite as London is really just a collection of villages each with their own personality.

Most of my friends in London live within walking distance or a short bus ride and we spend the majority of our time in our own locality.

Obviously there are loads of things to do all over the place in London but just for normal day to day stuff we stay local.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Shame it's full of the most ignorant and rudest people in the country though.
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Where did I say all of them? Erm...nowhere, because I didn't. I said that the rude and ignorant people there were the worst I've come across.

It seems they like twist and misquote when they hear something they don't like too, doesn't it?

Actually you said "Its full of rude and ignorant people " To me that means the majority .As full of is more than a few scattered about .

I dont know London but had the pleasure of spending time there last year .I was pleasently surprised at the politness and helpfulness and genuine friendliness of people there .
    On buses , trains and metro we met only with kindness and I thought the Londoners were actually lovely .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not easy to develop a strong sense of community in London if you move in from outside. People born and bred in London have a clear advantage in that sense. London can be a very lonely place unless you know the right people there. (Yes that's true for everywhere, but it seems even truer for London.)

Well it depends, and I think you've got to make a bit of an effort, but you can have a real sense of community in lots of parts of London.

Where are live, it is a very 'mixed' area , with many different ethnic minority people from different backgrounds, as well as new migrants from Eastern Europe, migrants from elsehwre in the UK and born and bred Londoners like myself.

We are in fact quite a strong community if you bother to get involved. Recent events have included: building (and maintaining monthly) a community garden on some scrap land, setting up a weekly farmers type market in school playground, there is Christmas quiz night every year, a huge street food festival biannually, a lot of us got together to protest the loss of our local Banksy artwork recently etc etc.

I also know a lot of my neighbours to stop and talk to, same goes for shopkeepers and market stall holders. (we're not best friends or anything, but have a friendly relationship).

We also have a large well-used wider community website which is used to promote events, recommended builders etc, advertise lost/found cats, look for work etc etc.

So I definitely feel part of a community.in my part of London.

Oh, and I'm very friendly and polite too!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What part of Herts?

I used to live near Hatfield, and now live in South East London, but love going back to Herts too.

Near Hemel Hempstead. I like the fact I can move about without sitting in too much traffic, and as you say, I can get back to London very easily.