Our Cathedrals

13»

Comments

• designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dbar wrote: »
    gosh how horrid in such a lovely building

Well, most of Lincoln is still quite accessible, it just may mean taking a guided tour to do so. I don't think it's that expensive and the money does go to the upkeep. It costs a fortune to keep it open and running. Boston I went up halfway years ago but I am not sure you can do that any longer
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dbar wrote: »
    i like st davids cathedral in wales. It is beautiful. And the one in liverpool is staggering inside.

St David's is surprisingly big isn't it?

I think that Liverpool Cathedral is quite ugly from the outside though. You can tell its a modern building made to look old.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    St David's is surprisingly big isn't it?

I suppose the relative scale is a factor there. You have a tiny coastal town with diminutive vernacular buildings.... and then a socking great church in the middle of it.

The best thing about St Davids is the beautiful romanesque arcade - squat but much broader in individual span than those of English cathedrals.
    The nave roof is also gorgeous and to my mind unparalleled among ecclesiastical timber roofs.

The building gets worse the further east you go. The sanctuary is a bit meh, and the Lady Chalel a victorian botch job.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Your Anglican one is the 5th largest in Europe and the largest completed Anglican cathedral in the world.

Is the Anglican one "Paddy's wigwam" or is that the Catholic one?
  • open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Durham Cathedral has its own collection of bats that fly around the cloisters and sometimes inside the cathedral itself