Ofcom: LBC Presenter James O’Brien Guilty of Anti-UKIP Bias

Comments

• OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    oh do one OHG, you dismissed the PDF because you did not have it in your hand.
    Try and learn to be a little more concise.

Charming, please show me where I "dismissed to PDF "because I didn't have it in my hand"? and why you think telling me to "do one" is appropriate on a discussion forum, have I insulted you at any point?

I "dismissed the PDF" because there was no evidence that it was an official Labour document,
    as well as the fact that nowhere in it does it "order" Labour MPs to change the subject, nor is there any evidence at all that "Labour MPs are outraged"
    I humbly suggest you read the Torygraph's version, and then read the Guardian's version, it's hard to believe they are talking about the same document,

Although "apparently" some Labour MP/s HAVE since admitted that such a document exists,
    however they are also saying that the Telegraph has taken it out of context and that what it actually is, is ADVICE on how to deal on the doorsteps with voters who have gone over to Ukip and they give TEN Labour policies on immigration, which they are advised to point out to Ukip voters, as well as their strong stance on helping the unemployed to find work, and their position on the NHS ....note "advised" not ORDERED,
    which, I dunno about you, but I would think that ANY political party would issue activists with advice on what to say in certain situations on the doorstep when confronted with a member of the public who has stated that they intend to vote for one of the other parties.

I bet they ALL do it, in fact, I would think any party that didn't issue such advice to it;s activists were bloody idiots, do you honestly think the guys or women who knock at your door during an election have not been briefed in what to say in certain situations?
    As I have said before, every time the Tory press come up with yet another distorted exaggerated, or just plain made up "smear" story against Labour or Ed "hohoho looks funny eating a sandwich" Miliband, it turns out to be a load of desperate bollox,

Tell you what, It is 1.40 am on Tuesday 16th of December, book mark this thread, and lets see where this story is one week from now?
    it will have gone exactly the same way as the "crisis in the Labour election campaign" team" that was a "major" story in March this year, due "apparently" to the panic in Labour HQ over the Tories imminent increase in the polls, hmmmm,

then there was the absolute certainty of a major Labour MPs defection to Ukip, any day now,...... at the end of September.

then there was the imminent "coup" against EM and a strong movement for a leadership challenge with the "rebels" in the labour ranks, and that was in October,..... so erm, where is this "coup" then?

and now we have this latest desperate fabrication,

So, 23rd of December, lets see how many papers ran with this story and how much of a "crisis" it caused eh?

and finally telling someone to "do one" because you don't share their views is (SOME) might say typical of the right,
    there was a series of posts the other night where several righties were telling each other how it's always those awful "lefties" who are ill mannered and aggressive, of course when it's aimed at a leftie then it must be perfectly acceptable in the strange right wing parallel universe.

Edited to add,

I will just leave this here,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875388/Red-Ed-denies-seeing-advice-telling-MPs-not-mention-immigration-Labour-leader-insists-no-idea-responsible-33-page-document.html

OF course "he would say that wouldn't he" just thought that I would get in first the inevitable reaction to an actual quote from an actual person rather than some distorted biased made up bollox, which was/is willingly unquestionably and eagerly accepted as the truth.
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waffle .....

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76049154&postcount=28

waffle

Ed Miliband Himself has now commented on this fake document.

Do us all a favour OHG, try and keep your waffle to perhaps a paragraph, it is not that we are not intelligent enough as you suggested, we are just bored to death with your rambling bollocks.

And if you want me to point out where you suggested we are not intelligent enough to understand you , its right here : http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76054077&postcount=111
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH I so know what you mean,

there seems to more and more people about these days who are not only willing to accept anything any paper prints if it's against the party they don't support, without actually bothering to read the supposed "evidence" for the things that the paper in question are claiming that the 'opposition' said,

But as well as not actually reading it, some go on to tell us that they actually KNOW what said party intends to do, despite....

A/ not reading the supplied "evidence" of what the party has actually said.

and B/ the party in question never saying anything like the things that the person claims to know is what they 'actually' want,
    The number of mind readers and fortune tellers on these forums is at times quite staggering.

but as I said, some people believe it because they WANT to believe it, and there aint much that can be done against that kind of 'brick wall' logic is there?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2033038&page=5

Post #117

yes labour would keep packing them in unless you have concrete evidence against this? nope? well there you go!! we all know labours policy on that issue there wont be any referendum. I'm failing to understand your post here as what I put in that comment is factual Labour will not give a referendum and yes that will mean more people migrating here, Next.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26538420
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Isn't he a convicted criminal?

Might be thinking of someone else.

Gobber O'Brien admits being caught stealing dvds from a shop.

The prick spends many an hour using his daily show to attack UKIP. He is a mass immigration advocate and doesn't seem to care who comes in.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Thank heavens for that.

He could learn something from Larry Lamb who does the Sunday morning show - left wing but a decent human being with it who respects his audience, doesn't sneer at callers and has an engaging personality. Its not JOB's politics I have an issue with - its his appalling personality and sneering tone on air!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but yours is clearly wrong ;)

The Lamb is the most boring presenter on LBC. I much prefer JOB and Nick Ferrari. Opposite political views, but both have some life to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Gobber O'Brien admits being caught stealing dvds from a shop.

The prick spends many an hour using his daily show to attack UKIP. He is a mass immigration advocate and doesn't seem to care who comes in.

He admits to smoking dope. I admire his honesty.

Childish name calling and childish insults give the impression you are of very low intellect.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave JOB alone, he is the biggest recruiting sergeant UKIP have ever had.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone surprised? They've tried to do a number of hatchet jobs on UKIP and Farage.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

Yes, and even more so since going national on Dab.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »

If Kippers sounding like total idiots when trying to explain how the EU has had a negative affect on their lives is recruiting more Kippers, then at least the rest of the nation gets good entertainment at the same time. It's win/win!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Kippers sounding like total idiots when trying to explain how the EU has had a negative affect on their lives is recruiting more Kippers, then at least the rest of the nation gets good entertainment at the same time. It's win/win!

I see, so is there some sort of gradient involved?

UKIP voters are total idiots, the green party take the short bus, labour voters went to a comprehensive and the tories all went to eton?

You know where the real entertainment is? seeing how everyone is so full of themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see, so is there some sort of gradient involved?

UKIP voters are total idiots, the green party take the short bus, labour voters went to a comprehensive and the tories all went to eton?

You know where the real entertainment is? seeing how everyone is so full of themselves.

You are either deliberately twisting my words or have problems understanding written English.

I didn't say anything about UKIP voters in general, I was referring to specific callers to the JOB program, when on frequent occasions JOB has asked Kippers to explain what negative affect the EU has made to their lives.

The other generalisations you list come from your own prejudices, not mine.
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble with O'Briens show is you know how you are going to be monstered on certain topics, if you have any sense you won't phone in, it's a left to the poorly educated and unwary to call.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    Trouble with O'Briens show is you know how you are going to be monstered on certain topics, if you have any sense you won't phone in, it's a left to the poorly educated and unwary to call.

Or people they hand pick out to cold call themselves....a funny instance a while back in O'Briens show.....they obviously called a left wing caller up .....because they responded with well I haven't been listening to what you have been talking about but my opinion is this......They obviously like to pick out callers to recall themselves, whether the person has been listening or not......O'Brien did seem slightly embarrassed that this came out and said on occasions we do phone people up that have called in with certain opinions in the past......so at least some set up calls and not all from people listening to the entire debate....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this thread can safely be moved to the Radio section.

We are far from discussing politics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are either deliberately twisting my words or have problems understanding written English.

I didn't say anything about UKIP voters in general, I was referring to specific callers to the JOB program, when on frequent occasions JOB has asked Kippers to explain what negative affect the EU has made to their lives.

The other generalisations you list come from your own prejudices, not mine.

How am i twisting your words?

The post i replied to was you saying "kippers sounding like idiots"

You didn't say anything about ukip voters in general, only that kippers sounding like idiots attracts more of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waffle .....

waffle

Do us all a favour OHG, try and keep your waffle to perhaps a paragraph, it is not that we are not intelligent enough as you suggested, we are just bored to death with your rambling bollocks.

And if you want me to point out where you suggested we are not intelligent enough to understand you , its right here : http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=76054077&postcount=111

I am aware that EM has mentioned it, he mentioned it to say he knows nothing about it, and hasn't seen it,
    and I clearly acknowledged this by posting a link to it, did you read the link from the daily mail?
    a link in which even they quote from the Telegraph, which at the moment is the only source for this report about this document.
    we are just bored to death
    Tad arrogant don't you think, unless of course you have been appointed as a spokesperson for this forum.
    Are you a moderator of this forum? if so then you have the right to dictate to me on the content and length of my posts, if not, then you don't, so I will continue to exercise my right to make my point and argue it, in a way that see fit,

I certainly won't be told what I may or may not post by you. but then trying to silence people by being rude and offensive (playing the man so to speak) is hardly uncommon here,
    My forum name is clearly displayed next to my posts, don't like them? fine don't read them it's not rocket science.
    As for insulting posters in the link you provided, are you having a laugh? read the post from YOU that I am responding to, and you might understand why I clearly started the post you linked to,... with......
    Long post warning, people with a short attention span or closed mind feel quite free to ignore it and or insult me as usual
    I am the first to admit I make long posts, and I have given polite 'warnings' of a long post on many occasions, but even so, 'some' people still decide to be offensive, is it any wonder that I sometimes resort to sarcasm?

I would love to know how I, or anyone, is supposed to address multiple points from a newspaper article in "one paragraph"..... oh yeah, I could just do it in 2 words I suppose, "that's bollox"
    I am sorry for once again having the audacity to "waffle" on a public discussion forum.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waffle .....

waffle

I see OHG get charged with this 'waffling' accusation a lot, yet 'wafflers' from the right, like 'thenetworkbabe' *cringe* escape your wrath? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How am i twisting your words?

The post i replied to was you saying "kippers sounding like idiots"

You didn't say anything about ukip voters in general, only that kippers sounding like idiots attracts more of them.

If you are going to quote, try not to be so obvious when taking something out of context. My actual quote was: "Kippers sounding like total idiots when trying to explain how the EU has had a negative affect on their lives"

And several callers sounding like idiots in one specific context isn't the same as calling all UKIP voters idiots, which was the leap you made.

I'm sure there are many UKIP voters that are very intelligent, I've just not met them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    yes labour would keep packing them in unless you have concrete evidence against this? nope? well there you go!! we all know labours policy on that issue there wont be any referendum. I'm failing to understand your post here as what I put in that comment is factual Labour will not give a referendum and yes that will mean more people migrating here, Next.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26538420

Sorry? (BIB) how the hell can I have "evidence" of something that no one from Labour has ever said? let me try to illustrate what you just did there.

"If we elect a Tory government in May, the Tories will round up everyone on benefits and put them into 'work camps' and they will keep packing them in, unless you have concrete evidence against this? nope? well there you go!!"
    How can you possibly provide me with evidence that something no one has ever said will happen, won't happen?
    and one of my bloody pet hates is someone asking me a question and then answering it for me.

Now then, let me state that I am deeply and truly sorry for the length of this post and for having the audacity to respond to questions or points made to me in person in another post.

did you read the link that you posted from the BBC? the link you provided to show that.
    we all know labours policy on that issue there wont be any referendum
    I only 'politely and respectfully' ask because you seem to have missed this part from the link.
    But he said he did not back an "inexorable" process of political union and Labour would "guarantee" an in-out referendum if the UK was being asked to transfer more powers to Brussels.
    Slightly different from you statement that,
    we all know labours policy on that issue there wont be any referendum.
    I admit that a referendum if extremely unlikely under Labour, but they have said that they "guarantee" one under certain conditions.

I apologise unreservedly to others in this thread who are trying to discuss the topic, and admit that it was I who took it off topic, by pointing out the blatant double standards of another poster, (post #47)
    and then by responding to someone else who decided to 'jump in' with a few insults of their own, I shall now respect the topic of this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are going to quote, try not to be so obvious when taking something out of context. My actual quote was: "Kippers sounding like total idiots when trying to explain how the EU has had a negative affect on their lives"

And several callers sounding like idiots in one specific context isn't the same as calling all UKIP voters idiots, which was the leap you made.

I didn't take it out of context you didn't qualify it with "some" but dont let me get in the way of your generalised rant about "kippers sounding like idiots"
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If aspects of your lifestyle have seriously impacted on the length of your Attention Span....that is indeed a problem.
    But it is your problem. Not OHG's.

(Directed at no one in particular)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't take it out of context you didn't qualify it with "some" but dont let me get in the way of your generalised rant about "kippers sounding like idiots"

All of the Kippers I've heard trying to have a debate with JOB on how immigration is affecting them sound like idiots. I didn't make the leap that all Kippers are idiots, you did.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I dislike O'Brien, I don't think he said anything wildly far from the truth.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Thank heavens for that.

He could learn something from Larry Lamb who does the Sunday morning show - left wing but a decent human being with it who respects his audience, doesn't sneer at callers and has an engaging personality. Its not JOB's politics I have an issue with - its his appalling personality and sneering tone on air!

My view exactly. O'Brien is obnoxious.