Is this a rare year where we are all happy with the result?

Comments

• londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by social media, loads of people felt that Simon and Kristina should have won. I hope that they win some of the dates on the tour!
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more the case that no-one cared enough about the finalists to get worked up about the result. The least involving final in years, as evinced by the lack of interest on this forum. Dull finalists, weird dance choices and no truly memorable moments.

Don't you think that's more a reflection of this forum than the actual show?
  • dayzeeedayzeee Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very happy that Caroline won and thought her show dance was lovely once the ribbons had disappeared, but the whole final was spoilt for me because Pixie wasn't there and I missed her.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think that Caroline hides slight clumsiness with being fast. I.e the Latin dances being better as some have mentioned.
    I don't really like Caroline or Simon, (Frankie is inoffensive) but on last nights showing Simon put a lot of effort in and should have won for me
    Am I the only person who found the Angels dance a bit of a cringe ?

Having said that Mark Wright's show dance belonged on the Bob Downe Show.

The show really was a forgone conclusion from the start, the only real surprise was the dip in form of Jake.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I think it's more the case that no-one cared enough about the finalists to get worked up about the result. The least involving final in years, as evinced by the lack of interest on this forum. Dull finalists, weird dance choices and no truly memorable moments.

I agree, this is the first year that I have not watched the final, imo It was just a foregone conclusion that Caroline would win once they got rid of Pixie.
  • catakincatakin Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Although I loved Caroline's show dance I preferred Frankie and Simon's other 2 dances so wanted one of those two to win. I was getting bored of Carolines dances towards the end of the series. Definitely not the best SCD champion we've had.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you think that's more a reflection of this forum than the actual show?

I'm not sure about that. From memory, the most active years on here were series 5, 8 and last year. The forum was dead all week, and this series has been called low-key or sedate in the press.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about that. From memory, the most active years on here were series 5, 8 and last year. The forum was dead all week, and this series has been called low-key or sedate in the press.

The ratings have held though. Strictly is still dominating Saturday night viewing figures.

Possibly a starting line-up that included a handful of ringers, unlike last year when Natalie stood alone, kept the fighting at bay. That and no real 'shock' exits until very late into the series could explain the 'low-key' and 'sedate' descriptors. Certainly this forum exploded after Pixie got the boot, so the interest was there even if people generally use other avenues to share their thoughts on the show.

I'm not a hand-wringer by any means, but for me this forum can get too pompous and downright nasty at times. Last year, which you describe as active, just became wearing with its "she's a pro/no she isn't" threads so this year, before SCD even started, I had already decided to participate far less in an effort to just enjoy what is a fluffy, light entertainment show.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was because this year there weren't really any divisive celebrities.

For the most part, people liked everyone whereas 2012 for example there was a lot of dislike for certain celebrities.
  • sambadansambadan Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am philosophical about it.
    People will vote for who they want for whatever reason they want. The judges will score as they wish.
    There will be countless accusations of this and that but ultimately its a TV show with no meaningful consequence for the nation or the rest of the world.
    I learnt that lesson a loooooong time ago.
    I voted for Frankie for all sorts of reasons but hey ho she didn't win. I feel disappointed for her but not for myself.
    I certainly don't begrudge Caroline winning.
    She won the public vote and thats the end of it.
    No problem. Move on.
    I enjoyed the series, it was a good standard in the final and I look forward to next year.
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Bottom line: Flack easily passes the 'Hollins test' of worthiness so I've got no complaints on that score.

That's not setting the bar very high!

I was disappointed with the first half of the semi-final and with the almost total absence of ballroom dance in the final. Caroline has not really proved herself in ballroom.

I think Simon (and definitely Kristina) deserved the win. But I liked Caroline as a person, so not too unhappy.
  • Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great result. Loved simon too
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never want ringers in the 'competition', let alone winning. :kitty:

This. I'm not happy. Relieved mark didn't win yes, but not happy Ms professional training won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sambadan wrote: »
    People will vote for who they want for whatever reason they want. The judges will score as they wish.
    There will be countless accusations of this and that but ultimately its a TV show with no meaningful consequence for the nation or the rest of the world.
    I voted for Frankie for all sorts of reasons but hey ho she didn't win. I feel disappointed for her but not for myself.
    No problem. Move on.
    I enjoyed the series, it was a good standard in the final and I look forward to next year.

I agree. Although, I voted for Simon to win.
  • rainbow321rainbow321 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to the thread's title is ......of course not. Still people whingeing on about contestants being over marked and contestant being "got rid of'

Move on!
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    rainbow321 wrote: »
    The answer to the thread's title is ......of course not. Still people whingeing on about contestants being over marked and contestant being "got rid of'

Move on!

Spot on.

Was struggling with the concept of the FMs all being happy - It is what it is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Pixie should have won the whole thing as (for me) she was head and shoulders above all the rest.

Out of those in the final I really, really wanted Simon and Kristina to win - I think they both would have collapsed in shock! :o:)

I would also have liked Jake to have been in the final - as I would have liked to have seen his and Pixie's showdances.

But hey ho, I realize you cant have everything..............
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not I wanted Pixie, Jake or Simon to win
  • PebroxPebrox Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    rainbow321 wrote: »

Move on!

Haha, quite! Thought Caroline's dances showed her off as a versatile and dynamic performer, and her show dance was the best thing we saw all night for me. Don't think many could argue against her being deserving of the win. But the final three were all talented and any would have made worthy winners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »

Out of those in the final I really, really wanted Simon and Kristina to win - I think they both would have collapsed in shock! :o:)

But hey ho, I realize you cant have everything..............

I agree. Simon and Kristina are winners to me. If I really wanted to be positive about it, I could say that he won out of the male celebrities. :)
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the question - no I dont think it's a rare year where we are all happy.

I was disappointed with the result. :(

I thought Frankie and Simon were far more worthy of lifting the trophy - Simon in particular....

I loved Frankies show dance - and Simons came second for me. Didnt like Carolines at all - no substance just a lot of wafting!

It was so obvious in the last few weeks that Caroline was the judges favourite and was going to win - that it took all the anticipation out of the final for me.

If Simon had won it would have been much more unexpected and exciting. :)
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    Merity wrote: »
    To answer the question - no I dont think it's a rare year where we are all happy.

I was disappointed with the result. :(

I thought Frankie and Simon were far more worthy of lifting the trophy - Simon in particular....

I loved Frankies show dance - and Simons came second for me. Didnt like Carolines at all - no substance just a lot of wafting!

It was so obvious in the last few weeks that Caroline was the judges favourite and was going to win - that it took all the anticipation out of the final for me.

If Simon had won it would have been much more unexpected and exciting. :)

I have to agree with most of Merity's post. I felt just the same. :cry:
  • ThadThad Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I should change it to a rare year where most are happy ;)

I would have been happy for Simon to win, but overall on the night and in preceding weeks Caroline has been on par or better than him and it would seem more popular, and so I think the result reflects the reality of the situation better.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sambadan wrote: »
    No problem. Move on.

No, no, no! WAY too reasonable a post. Are you sure you belong on this forum? ;-)
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie was never a worthy winner, but i'd have been happy with Simon or Carolin winning.
    M faves wer Pixie and Jake so i wasn't that fussed once they left anyway.