Four Extra - do we really need to have...

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Loose bloody Ends repeated three times in just 17 hours? It's already been on Four if we really are that in that much need to listen to it...
Radio 7 - a station ruined. Rapidily followed by Five.

Comments

• snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet the audience has DOUBLED since it went from 7 to 4 Extra. Odd eh?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loose bloody Ends repeated three times in just 17 hours? It's already been on Four if we really are that in that much need to listen to it...
    Radio 7 - a station ruined. Rapidily followed by Five.

Most things on Radio 4 Extra are repeated several times during the day, they recognise that the majority of the listeners do not listen to it continuously all day.
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't listen to it live at all. But I'm very glad it's there - it exponentially increases the amount of comedy I can flick through on the iPlayer Radio app.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snossis wrote: »
    And yet the audience has DOUBLED since it went from 7 to 4 Extra. Odd eh?

Probably because sales of Dab and Internet radios have more than doubled. Frequency of output still poor though.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snossis wrote: »
    I don't listen to it live at all. But I'm very glad it's there - it exponentially increases the amount of comedy I can flick through on the iPlayer Radio app.

But why does there need to be a 4 Extra to have all that content available on demand? Surely the best solution would be to make all the shows available on iPlayer and forget about having a "live" station full of repeats.
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    But why does there need to be a 4 Extra to have all that content available on demand?

Because many more people listen "live" than on demand.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    But why does there need to be a 4 Extra to have all that content available on demand? Surely the best solution would be to make all the shows available on iPlayer and forget about having a "live" station full of repeats.

And because you can listen in the car and often get a good show as an extra choice from Radio 4 as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a lot of use for people in their cars if only on iPlayer.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Do we need Loose Ends at all might be a better question.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I hate Loose Ends, I hate Clive Anderson, it's a crap programme filled with nothing. I don't even want to listen to it once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Do we need Loose Ends at all might be a better question.

Do we 'need' any radio programme, I am sure there are plenty that you listen to that I, and others, will hate and think are pointless.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Radio 4 Extra is an essential antidote to news and tuneless music.

It is more important (slightly) than the NHS.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the things that I don't like were not on the radio.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether we personally do or don't like a particular programme, imo we don't need to hear the same damn edition played three times in 17 hours. They could stretch things out - and surely the Beeb has enough material to fresh things up.
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R4x is not meant to be listened to all day. it's not a graze station... so like many other channels (especially cable/sky) it is a part of a day, repeated a couple or more times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R4x is not meant to be listened to all day. it's not a graze station... so like many other channels (especially cable/sky) it is a part of a day, repeated a couple or more times.

Exactly, it is following the same format as many other stations and channels. If they only broadcast each programme once then there would be someone moaning that they missed it.

Many are listening on portable radios or in their cars so have no provision to record programmes so they can listen later. I suspect that even many of those listening at home forget that they can record radio programmes on their PVR, at least for some channels.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Loose Ends, I hate Clive Anderson, it's a crap programme filled with nothing. I don't even want to listen to it once.

I used to enjoy ;Loose Ends' during the late Ned Sherrin's tenure. The current incarnation though (IMHO) is little more than a St John's Wood narrowcast with disinterested presentation and production.

I'm sure many people (not least himself) have a high opinion of Clive Anderson, but I find his overwhelming aura of self-indulgent smugness to be a huge turn off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    I used to enjoy ;Loose Ends' during the late Ned Sherrin's tenure. The current incarnation though (IMHO) is little more than a St John's Wood narrowcast with disinterested presentation and production.

I'm sure many people (not least himself) have a high opinion of Clive Anderson, but I find his overwhelming aura of self-indulgent smugness to be a huge turn off.

It's all a matter of personal taste, I could never stand Ned Sherrin.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It's all a matter of personal taste, I could never stand Ned Sherrin.

Indeed. You can't please all the people....etc.
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that listening to Ned sherrin was more of an 'event'.
    However, I once attended the show and was stunned at just how scripted it was.
    There was no room for ad-lib manoevre whatsoever.
    However, highlights of the live show for me were:
    Ned doing his own stand-up before the show itself (better than the show) and - a pre-fame Graham Norton as warm-up man!

The irony is that although the Sherrin-led show was famously filled with his cronies, many of whom joined him at his London club afterwards, the Anderson incarnation sounds even more 'clubby'. That, despite Clive's sharper, lawyer's interviewing abilities.
    Ned was really just a satirist.