Take That - The Flood video

TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHg5r6rFoI

I wonder if Robbie had a clause in his contract stating how much of the video he wanted his face to be in. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    there videos are so dramatic :D
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a promo for a low budget BBC movie.
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen 'The Flood' video on VH1, I really like it. Its a good song too, much better than the Barlow/Williams' single. I presume RW didn't have as much input, especially with the lyrics.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good song! A bit too much Robbie at the expense of the others, though.

My favourite bit of the video is them rowing past one of my favourite buildings in London - Battersea Power Station! lol :D
  • ElectroflowerElectroflower Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    It's great, suits the song very well! It seems as if Robbie's input has added the charisma and sense of melody they lacked as a four-piece. Sorry TT fans, that's just how it seems to me. :D (Rule the World was quite good, though.)

I do like the fact that they're working together, because I think they both had very different songwriting styles so it's great to marry the two. TT were good at writing big, dramatic choruses for example and you can hear that in this song too but this is much better than anything they did before, it's got nicer chord changes and is less repetitive.
    I wonder if Robbie had a clause in his contract stating how much of the video he wanted his face to be in. :rolleyes:

Well, it makes sense that the lead singer is shown more than the others, doesn't it? Maybe they'll do another one where Gary is the lead singer like almost everything else they've done and then you'll be happy.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    It's great, suits the song very well! It seems as if Robbie's input has added the charisma and sense of melody they lacked as a four-piece. Sorry TT fans, that's just how it seems to me. :D (Rule the World was quite good, though.)

I do like the fact that they're working together, because I think they both had very different songwriting styles so it's great to marry the two. TT were good at writing big, dramatic choruses for example and you can hear that in this song too but this is much better than anything they did before, it's got nicer chord changes and is less repetitive.

I disagree ... its OK ... but nowhere near as good as Patience, Shine, Rule The World or Said It All. I'm actually very glad you think Rob had a lot of input into this ... because ... like a lot of other Rob songs ... it sounds disturbingly like something else.

I hope the rest of the album is more Mark / Gary written. I don't care if Rob sings lead on all of them to be honest ... as it will attract Rob fans (who will buy anything he's associated with ... even if its crap) but I think he should steer clear of writing melody.
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was boring...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    Well that was boring...

Well, you have made it clear in past posts your distaste for Robbie and Take That. Why bother watching it (which I doubt you actually did, just left a sarky comment to further let people know of your petty hatred for them) if you know you won't like it? You're just wasting your time.

Anyway, I love the song! The video is pretty good too. Jason, Robbie and Gary looking damn sexy as usual :D
    Forum Member
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    Well, you have made it clear in past posts your distaste for Robbie and Take That. Why bother watching it (which I doubt you actually did, just left a sarky comment to further let people know of your petty hatred for them) if you know you won't like it? You're just wasting your time.

Anyway, I love the song! The video is pretty good too. Jason, Robbie and Gary looking damn sexy as usual :D

I agree that Gaspanic should perhaps have elaborated on his dismissal of the song/video ... and you're probably right that given his / her distaste for Rob/TT then he / she probably hasn't even listened or watched. However ... I am a TT fan and for me ... the song is ... just good. I think people are going over the top with their commendations of it ... and a lot of people (fans) are being swayed by the fact that five, very attractive blokes are singing it.

I say I'm a TT fan - and I am ... but I long for the day when they come out with something as glorious as Rule The World, Patience and Shine again. Although I went to the Circus tour ... and it was without doubt one of the best shows - perhaps THE best show I've ever seen - I can't help but say that I was so disappointed with The Circus album. Apart from three songs - Up All Night, Said It All and Hold Up A Light ... the rest of the album was just plain filler. Apart from those three songs ... then I do think The Flood is better than any song on The Circus album ... so who knows ... there may be a RTW or Patience in the Progress album.

I agree ... Jason looks absolutely fabulous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love this song:)
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the video ..... mmmmm I wonder if they've already been invited to perform at the 2012 London Olympics (opening or closing) ceremony.

Let's face facts if so, it will be the first time that "The Greatest Day" will work as a composition.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said... Way too much Robbie for my liking.

But as a fan TT (as a 4 piece) i hope this gets number 1.
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »

You're quite right, i don't like Robbie. But I do actually like a FEW of his songs, and Take That's, Greatest Day and Shine? was it?. Went into this with an open mind but I think it's MOR and predictable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    I agree that Gaspanic should perhaps have elaborated on his dismissal of the song/video ... and you're probably right that given his / her distaste for Rob/TT then he / she probably hasn't even listened or watched. However ... I am a TT fan and for me ... the song is ... just good. I think people are going over the top with their commendations of it ... and a lot of people (fans) are being swayed by the fact that five, very attractive blokes are singing it.

I say I'm a TT fan - and I am ... but I long for the day when they come out with something as glorious as Rule The World, Patience and Shine again. Although I went to the Circus tour ... and it was without doubt one of the best shows - perhaps THE best show I've ever seen - I can't help but say that I was so disappointed with The Circus album. Apart from three songs - Up All Night, Said It All and Hold Up A Light ... the rest of the album was just plain filler. Apart from those three songs ... then I do think The Flood is better than any song on The Circus album ... so who knows ... there may be a RTW or Patience in the Progress album.

I agree ... Jason looks absolutely fabulous!

The Flood isn't my favourite Take That song (that will forever be a toss up between Back For Good, Never Forget and Shine), but I think The Flood is great. Better than Shame I think. Hoping to see them on their next tour!
    Gaspanic! wrote: »
    You're quite right, i don't like Robbie. But I do actually like a FEW of his songs, and Take That's, Greatest Day and Shine? was it?. Went into this with an open mind but I think it's MOR and predictable.

What does MOR mean? And whatever, you're entitled to your own opinion.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    Looking at the video ..... mmmmm I wonder if they've already been invited to perform at the 2012 London Olympics (opening or closing) ceremony.

Let's face facts if so, it will be the first time that "The Greatest Day" will work as a composition.

I'd stick good money on Take That performing at the Olympics

they are inoffensive, and their songs (most notably Greatest Day) are big anthemic peices.

would also expect to see Leona Lewis and Dizzee Rascal due to the East London connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Well I liked it :D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The single was always going to be Robbie-centric, otherwise why bother getting him back??

It sounds like a mash-up of a Robbie song and something from The Circus. Maybe not an obvious massive hit but it's a grower. I only had to listen to it a second time for it to click with me that this is a great move for them.

Love the rowing. That was a great idea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when the new album is out on itunes to preview it..? I heard its out in November, so it should be out in itunes soon then,,I wanna hear the clips of songs..Take That are ok, but i like Robster more :D
  • TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The single was always going to be Robbie-centric, otherwise why bother getting him back??

Too mend broken fences perhaps

not to hog the comeback single all to himself
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the power is in this songs lyrics
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Chorus, the verses just sound like an avarage Robbie song.
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new album is out on itunes to preview it..? I heard its out in November, so it should be out in itunes soon then,,I wanna hear the clips of songs..Take That are ok, but i like Robster more :D

I was dead set against Rob rejoining - I never got the point of him to be honest. I appreciate he's a mega-star ... but his voice is just so very average (I suppose voice isn't everything though). I am however a little bit curious to see what Barlow and Williams come up with in the writing stakes. If there is any area Barlow lacked in the past ... it was lyrics (good melody writer - awful lyricist) so maybe Rob on board can change all of that.

The Flood isn't too bad - it borrows from a lot of other things to pinpoint what else exactly it sounds like. Just enough vagueness not to be sued I suppose. As long as there's a few more Floods than Shames ... it should sound OK.

Have you seen the album cover artwork yet though? Oh dear!
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though it is better than the Robbie and Barlow dirge, it's still a very average pop song overall, and wouldn't do much if it wasn't by them.
    I thought at the time that Robbie going back to Take That might turn out to be bad move for both, and on the evidence of this, if this is the best they can come up with with their new stuff then it looks like i will be right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you seen the album cover artwork yet though? Oh dear!

It evokes memories of the do what you like video, just needs more brooms and jelly!:D

I actually quite like it though, even though I don't really care for naked men:eek:
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this video - and the song itself.

As others have said, of course Robbie is going to be on the screen more - he has lead vocals. In previous TT videos, if Gary is lead, he gets more air time. Same with Mark.

It wouldn't make sense to have Robbie singing the verses and focusing on Howard 99% of the time, would it?

Think the video is really original and fresh.