The need to bring screaming babies to cafes/restaurants?

PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
what is that about..very few places where i can go out during the day that dont resemble a screaming maternity ward... has it always been like this?

Comments

• rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert, but I think babies can start screaming at any time ie they aren't bringing screaming babies to the cafe, they start screaming when they get there
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palafrugel wrote: »
    what is that about..very few places where i can go out during the day that dont resemble a screaming maternity ward... has it always been like this?

I don't think anyone has a NEED to do it.
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind screaming babies, but I very much mind the parents who think it's funny or who make no effort to try and stop it, those people deserve a rusty nail through their eyeball.
  • GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look at it this way:I can get up and leave if it gets too much...the parents can't.I think they're probably stressed enough without me tut tutting my disapproval, so for the short time I'm in a cafe I can bear it.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Palafrugel wrote: »

It's pretty commonplace now that smacking in public is now frowned upon.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind screaming babies, but I very much mind the parents who think it's funny or who make no effort to try and stop it, those people deserve a rusty nail through their eyeball.

:D:D:D:D

You must be Scottish or Irish,:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    started when women with babies were allowed out of the house
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, it'll come to all (or most) of you in time. When you have a baby/babies, you need, every now and then, to get off the roller coaster and feel 'normal'.

And 'Alien Saxon', sometimes there's nothing you can do - other than leave. They're fed, they're changed, they're at a normal temperature; they just want to exercise their lungs. :(
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't see a problem with it babies cry doesn't bother me if I was in a cafe I'd think less of the people moaning about it than I would the baby or it's parents
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have any problems with children in restaurants but now that nearly all pubs have become substandard eateries they seem to be full of children as well. I do think its a shame that adults can't go to a pub any more for purely adult company.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against children going out with their parents and being part of society but there should be places you can choose to go where children are not allowed.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty commonplace now that smacking in public is now frowned upon.

People used to smack babies quiet did they?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't have any problems with children in restaurants but now that nearly all pubs have become substandard eateries they seem to be full of children as well. I do think its a shame that adults can't go to a pub any more for purely adult company.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against children going out with their parents and being part of society but there should be places you can choose to go where children are not allowed.

I agree with this. For the most part the 17th March is the only day of the year my children are taken into the pub; just after the parade for an hour or two. No place for kids, really. the only other occasions are when we're on holidays or for family celebrations; very rarely - maybe 3/4 times a year.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    When I take my baby into restaurants and cafes he's usually very well behaved. That's why I poke him and annoy him until he started screaming. I don't want my family to be atypical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    People used to smack babies quiet did they?

I was only joking.

It was more like a clump round the lughole.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it annoys me when the parents laugh and roll their eyes and let the baby carry on screaming. Or take their yappy loud children to nice restaurants in the evening when they should be in bed, oblivious to the couples or groups of adults around them having their night out ruined. Nothing puts me off a delicious gourmet meal like a 5 year old screaming brat with a chocolate smeared snotty face.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I don't see a problem with it babies cry doesn't bother me if I was in a cafe I'd think less of the people moaning about it than I would the baby or it's parents

^ This.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've just come back from a pub lunch. There was a large group in there, adults at one table and 6 children, aged around 5-10, art the next one. The children ate nicely and chatted to each other while eating. There was no whingeing, crying, fighting, running about or generally being a pain in the arse. I started to revise my views on kids in pubs.

Then I went downstairs to the lav and it was like the crèche from hell. Kids screaming, shrieking, running about and babies bawling at more than half the tables.

I have no problem with well-behaved kids in restaurants. If they're not well-behaved, stay at home, please.
  • daza1978daza1978 Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    My friends and I stopped going in the local Wetherspoons because of this.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are anti children in restaurants then don't go abroad for your holidays, especially not Europe where children are loved and cherished by all and sundry. Come to think of it you rarely see/hear badly behaved children there. I wonder if that is because they are used to going out or know they are wanted ! Just my tuppence worth!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All good parents leave their children home alone in a soundproofed cupboard when they go out.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    If you are anti children in restaurants then don't go abroad for your holidays, especially not Europe where children are loved and cherished by all and sundry. Come to think of it you rarely see/hear badly behaved children there. I wonder if that is because they are used to going out or know they are wanted ! Just my tuppence worth!

No it is because they are disciplined and not spoilt by their parents meeting their demands of material possessions, and letting them behave badly for a quiet life.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

You must be Scottish or Irish,:)

Why ?
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing against children going out with their parents and being part of society but there should be places you can choose to go where children are not allowed.

Unfortunately, the only way you seem to be able to go for a meal these days without having children around is to go to an expensive restaurant. It's a shame that only those that can afford it can have this privilege.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I am one of those moaners. What parents and their sympathizers need to realize is just how loud a screaming baby can be. They can be louder than a vacuum cleaner and almost as noisy as a siren or jet engine spooling up. When a baby starts crying it should be taken out of a restaurant. It is extremely unfair of parents to think that others should put up with that much noise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you - but somehow I think that if this was instituted some halfwit would make it an issue about being 'against their human rights' and take it to the European Court to get a ruling.

I have less of an issue about babies screaming - more about parents who let little 'Johnny' or 'Rebecca' run around the restaurant cause they haven't taught them to sit at the table when they are eating (ie they haven't taught them basic good manners).