Unnecessary Subtitles

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
What is it recently about having to put subtitles on the screen whenever someone happens to talk with the slightest accent?

You get someone speaking perfectly understandable English but because they happen to have a bit of a local brogue or a foreign accent they seem to slap subtitles on there just for the sake of it. Do they think that we are incapable of understanding people with accents or something? Just because someone hasn't got perfect diction or speaks in what would appear to be the more acceptable "Southern" accent doesn't mean I'm incapable of understanding what someone is saying.

The other night I was watching a programme and someone was talking in English with a Jamaican accent but was perfectly understandable yet they felt the need to provide us with subtitles. I even saw something a few weeks ago where someone from the North West with a Rochdale type accent had subtitles slapped on them. Ridiculous!

I can understand most of these people perfectly even with my eyes shut so why do they feel the need to put subtitles on there? This seems to be happening more and more across all tv channels.

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that they don't do it for cockney or "sarf London" both of which can be completely incomprehensible at times.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me as well, it takes but a moment to tune ones ears to an accent as a rule.

Obviously mumbly dialogue combined with overbearing music is a different matter!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    It annoys me as well, it takes but a moment to tune ones ears to an accent as a rule.

Obviously mumbly dialogue combined with overbearing music is a different matter!

BIB what 'rule' would this be, your rule I'm guessing.
    I've had over a month to try and understand the Northern Irish accent, no chance whatsoever unless the speaker modifies their accent.

This is a YMMV topic.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I watched a US show called Baggage Claimers, or something similar, where teams go to airports and can bid on unclaimed baggage without seeing what's inside. The one I saw just happened to be set in England, but when the 'claimers' went to local, i.e. London, buyers, the US network had subtitles for the British people even though they were speaking very clear English.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    They may seem unnecessary for you but for deaf/hard of hearing people any subtitles are a lifeline. Because not everyone is equal, just so you know.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some accents are not understandable subtitles are a god send
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Americans seem to do it more and more. Sometimes it makes sense, when there's garbled audio, but sometimes I wonder if they do it "just because".

I've seen Undercover Boss where they subtitled a Venezuelan gentleman but didn't do the same for a man from New Orleans with a strong Louisiana accent. However, on another show, I think it was Storage Wars, they did provide subs for a guy from Shreveport (or Baton Rouge).

Maybe its just down to the editors and producers, if they can't understand they assume that us viewing public won't.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    They may seem unnecessary for you but for deaf/hard of hearing people any subtitles are a lifeline. Because not everyone is equal, just so you know.

Just so you know, the op was referring to subtitles just on voices with strong accents, not subtitles for just the deaf or hard of hearing. Subtitles for these people are available at the touch of a button, just so you know.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »

There's already the subtitle service available for all programmes should deaf people need them by pressing the "subtitle" button or hitting txt/red button on the remote and typing in 8888 and you can turn them on should you need them but this isn't the case here. I wasn't referring to deaf people. This is subtitles for those of us who don't need them only for certain parts of a documentary that can't be turned off because programme makers think were incapable of deciphering regional accents or any programmes where someone has a slight foreign accent.

Just seems like more dumbing down if you ask me. I bet if it was a strong London or Essex accent they wouldn't bother.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    What is it recently about having to put subtitles on the screen whenever someone happens to talk with the slightest accent?

Would you make an exception for this? :)
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I'm just thankfull that we don't dub things in this country, if prefer you hear people talk in their own voice.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You get someone speaking perfectly understandable English but because they happen to have a bit of a local brogue or a foreign accent they seem to slap subtitles on there just for the sake of it. Do they think that we are incapable of understanding people with accents or something? Just because someone hasn't got perfect diction or speaks in what would appear to be the more acceptable "Southern" accent doesn't mean I'm incapable of understanding what someone is saying.

The other night I was watching a programme and someone was talking in English with a Jamaican accent but was perfectly understandable yet they felt the need to provide us with subtitles. I even saw something a few weeks ago where someone from the North West with a Rochdale type accent had subtitles slapped on them. Ridiculous!

I can understand most of these people perfectly even with my eyes shut so why do they feel the need to put subtitles on there? This seems to be happening more and more across all tv channels.
    This is a real pet hate of mine. I was watching a doc a while back and a Jamaican guy spoke. He was clear and concise but they subtitled him, completely unnecessary. Then an African man, ditto not one word was unclear but he got the subtitle treatment. Next a Glaswegian who muttered and mumbled and was generally inarticulate, incomprehensible and unclear. Subtitles? Of course not. Everyone has an accent tho some with received pronunciation or Estuary English fail to believe it. Whether your accent hails from Cornwall, Mumbai, paris or Swansea as long as you can speak ENGLISH competently that is all that matters. Some people resist understanding the " foreign" or unfamiliar.
    I've had over a month to try and understand the Northern Irish accent, no chance whatsoever unless the speaker modifies their accent.

This is a YMMV topic.
    I worked with an NI man. He kept apologising for his accent being unintelligible when in fact he spoke so clearly and beautifully I didn't know why he had developed his complex. All in all I like accents and local slang and dialects. I just make an exception for the South African one, like nails on a blackboard to me!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a YMMV topic.

Nordie accents are pretty easy to understand I find. Even the thickest Scottish lowland is not beyond comprehension after a minute or so. Admittedly if the voice is telling you to "look out for that truck!" a minute is a bit too long. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watch a Canadian food show and several times they have subtitled ex-pats from Scotland and Southern England.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a YMMV topic.

I suppose it was inevitable that I had to look up the meaning of YMMV;-)

Its going to be a hard call for producers - a lot of my southern relatives struggle with Scottish and Northern accents as they've never visited those parts of the country, whilst I'm fine with them. Its probably better for subtitles to be used where theres doubt as otherwise some viewers will be missing out.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I suppose it was inevitable that I had to look up the meaning of YMMV;-)

I assumed that it meant You Make Me Vomit.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Oprah interview Susan Boyle they subtitled her. (Susan, not Oprah)
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might have something to do with the Americans With Disabilities Act.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Somethin' about horses and being delighted!
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I see what you mean and in this case yes I would say it warrants it but to be fair it doesn't exactly help that the video was shot on a cheap camera pointing at a tv set making it sound tinny with lots of echo, talking and noise going on in the background. It's like trying to listen to someone whilst stood by a busy main road with a bucket over my head. Not the best of examples and I suspect, had I seen the original with better sound quality, I may be able to understand him a bit better.

I can understand doing it for people with hard to understand strong local accents and Irish can be a particularly difficult one to tune into when they're talking fast. However it seems they are slapping compulsory subtitles on just about anyone with a slight accent these days even when they're perfectly understandable.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "...as a rule" is a fairly common expression that can basically mean "generally": http://thesaurus.com/browse/as+a+rule
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I see what you mean and in this case yes I would say it warrants it but to be fair it doesn't exactly help that the video was shot on a cheap camera pointing at a tv set making it sound tinny with lots of echo, talking and noise going on in the background.

The interviewer was understandable.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    "...as a rule" is a fairly common expression that can basically mean "generally": http://thesaurus.com/browse/as+a+rule

Oh good gawd.

Look up obtuse.
  • jalfrezijalfrezi Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In America they seem incapable of understanding any accent outwith their own shores but we are expected to understand the strongest of American regional dialects. Much as I love Eddie Murphy movies, some of his dialogue can be tricky to pick up - case in point, in the Nutty Professor movie when the family are at the dining tabel (you know, the farting scene) can you honestly say you understood a word the father character said the first time you watched it? :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Countryfile tonight they subtitled a 94 year old man from Northern Ireland. His accent was a bit thick but I understood him ok.