Band Aid 30

Comments

• Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Nice to see current pop stars like Nick Grimshaw , Fifi and Pixie Geldof turning up like erm ....popstars at the recording.

If these pop stars gave 5% of their combined income for last year I'm pretty sure it will come to much much more than the single will generate but then there would be no publicity for these people.

Hey Bob why not start a campaign for all UK Rock and Pop stars to pay their full share of tax instead of employing dubious accountants to hid it .....I guess thats not gonna happen and we all know why.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    What's the point? What is the point? A significant number of governments of countries in this continent are incapable of looking after their citizens or using the vast resources at their disposal for the benefit of the people.

Reconolisation by Europeans is the answer to Africa's problems.

The point is PR dahling |
  • Pingu222Pingu222 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I've just seen pictures of YouTube "stars" Alfie Deyes and Zoe and Joe Sugg turning up at this. I really hope they're just there to film stuff to promote the song and aren't actually going to be on it. That would be ridiculous.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me cynical but if it wasn't Ebola i'm sure they would have come up with some other excuse for doing it, quite a coincidence that the need for a new version always happens at five and ten year intervals.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Adele even still involved?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Well, that's just a stupid thing to say.

I'm sure the majority of the artists are concerned on some level about the Ebola crisis and want to do their bit to help; I just have trouble believing that that's the only reason that the likes of One Direction and Rita Ora decided to get involved.

You've got to face the facts that the music industry is far more selfish and narcissistic than it was thirty years ago and high-profile artists - or, to be more accurate, the PR teams behind them - are less willing to get involved in anything which won't give them some sort of benefit in kind.

Are you telling me, for instance, that S Club 7 took part in last night's Children In Need solely to help children and not at all to publicize their intended comeback? Or that the many other artists who appeared weren't trying to promote some sort of release?

The same principle applies with Band Aid 30.

I don't see why I should if I think it's accurately placed.

I really do think it is though.

Presumably anyone would care about the sorts of things money for things like this is raised for.

I just don't get the cynicism that always tries to suggest that famous people doing stuff like this, unlike pretty much anyone else, don't care.

If they are approached to take part what would you have them do? Politely decline on the grounds that there might be small minded people on the internet waiting to accuse them of doing it for the wrong reasons?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I'd much rather Bob Geldof and Bono give back with the millions they have in the bank.

Didn't Apple pay U2 100million dollars for them to release their new album for free on iTunes?

So how much do they give to charity?

Given their involvement over the years I'd imagine they give plenty.

Without using Google I'd wager that most people don't even know about DATA.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    So how much do they give to charity?

Given their involvement over the years I'd imagine they give plenty.

Without using Google I'd wager that most people don't even know about DATA.

Or Product Red? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_Red
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Is Adele even still involved?

I thought that but she has only been mentioned once but you would think she would be the "star" they would keep mentioning not 1D
  • Proposition JoeProposition Joe Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Lyrics are an absolute joke
    'No peace and joy this Christmas in West Africa' give me a break
  • ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article in sun criticizing her for ignoring the calls to be in it. Good for her.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these young thrusters should remake something new now. Midge Ure is right possible be the last remake. Need to put the song to bed once and for all. Don't get me wrong brilliant cause, but it's getting old now and the original is the best.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'd be better off sending condoms instead of endless amounts of cash that only end up in some corrupt politician's pocket.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The money raised from sales is for Ebola.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad adele said no as it isnt in her character to do something like this
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    How the heck do you know what her character is???
    If true, she isn't participating, then it may be because she has other commitments at this time
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I'd much rather Bob Geldof and Bono give back with the millions they have in the bank.

Didn't Apple pay U2 100million dollars for them to release their new album for free on iTunes?

How do you they don't give alot already, why should they give up their millions they have made?????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    We'd be better off sending condoms instead of endless amounts of cash that only end up in some corrupt politician's pocket.

Condoms aren't much use with Ebola.

Adele has supported Amnesty International and Sands in the past.
    howardl wrote: »
    How do you they don't give alot already, why should they give up their millions they have made?????

Bono supports 34 different charities already. Plus he has spoken at numerous economic and political forums in favour of debt and poverty relief.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be inappropriate for her to feature in a song with the lyrics 'Feed The World', as one would assume her daily food intake is comparable to a small African nation.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has Geldolf got 1D murdering this song?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

I mean use a charity single to gain more fame as thats basically what it is all about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    How the heck do you know what her character is???
    If true, she isn't participating, then it may be because she has other commitments at this time

Is there any need to be rude?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Condoms aren't much use with Ebola.

Bono supports 34 different charities already. Plus he has spoken at numerous economic and political forums in favour of debt and poverty relief.

And yet Bono doesn't like to pay taxes...sorry a hypocrite if there ever was one is old Bono I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    Is there any need to be rude?
    Pardon?...rude?...you must be extremely sensitive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean use a charity single to gain more fame as thats basically what it is all about

Bono gives to 34 charities and hardly needs any more fame. So don't tar everyone with the same brush. The motivations for others may well be less altruistic.

Geldof has always been clear that he would like to use current popular artists as it simply might raise more money that way. And this is a cause that will ultimately protect us all. Nothing wrong with that.