Where does iplayer on a Sony bluray player come from

my Sony blu-ray player has iplayer (amongst many other things). It plays really well (much better picture quality than a humax foxsat HDR), but the search interface is really naff and it also sometimes hangs after 30 mins or so playing.

Who is responsible for this iPlayer?

I sent a support request off to Sony, and all they will say is that it's nothing to do with them - but they won't say who is.

Having said that the humax iplayer interface is no better; neither are a patch on searching through an ordinary web browser, and also there are often shows available on PC based iplayer that are not available on the sony.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I'd have to say the BBC
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    The BBC are obvously responsible for the content, and providing it at a suitable rate - Sony are responsible for the software inside the TV.
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the Beeb developed the software around Sony's API, I'd also guess that the actual streaming of the video is handled by Sony's software. The interface is very much like iPlayer on the Wii.

I agree the search functionality is truly abysmal. e.g. Say you wanted to watch The Great British Bake Off, you'd probably type 'Bake', even if the programme was available it would not find it, it only looks at the start of the string.

Not to mention it's slow. Type the first two characters and then it will start to find a bunch of programmes, pretty much most of them you don't want to watch, so you have to wait ages while the thing freezes up, and then you can enter another character. Bit of a joke really.
  • jamiepondjamiepond Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    have you updated the firmware on your bluray player ?

i have the bdp-s370 and i agree the search is pretty naff but playback is flawless including hd content .

watched a lot of stuff from there including the entire "torchwood" series and never had a single playback issue while watching in hd.

it may be down to your internet though .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I have the sony 570 and agree with the above poster, works ok for me including HD content, It is very dependant on your download speed, I have almost 5mb DL speed and its just good enough.
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The streaming just stops a lot on mine as well, and I'm sure it's not a problem with my connection, it's definitely not a bandwidth issue as I have plenty of that. I used to get the same thing with iPlayer on the Wii, and that was with my parent's internet connection and the internet in my old house. It's annoying as I have to keep going back to the menu, playing the video again and trying to figure out where it stopped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say it's the BBC's responsibility. Sony provide the platform and offer access to the feature, but BBC author the player IIRC. It's their job to get the content to you, even if they need to ask Sony for a firmware change or similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    For best results it needs to be hard wired, WiFi isnt good enough. WII is wifi only, thats why it struggled.