jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Pope a Catholic?

Though I do think Tulisa deserves all the bashing she gets, to be totally honest.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Daily Mail anti women?

Do bears shit in the woods?

Is the pope a catholic?

etc.
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Considering the right hand third of their website is either such and such a woman has nice tits or such and such has got old/fat, yeah they hate, demeane and objectify women.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the Daily Mail anti women?

Do bears shit in the woods?

Is the pope a catholic?

etc.

Beat me to it.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Pope a Catholic?

Though I do think Tulisa deserves all the bashing she gets, to be totally honest.

Anti-women, anti-gay, anti-career over motherhood, anti-anything over a Size 14, anti-childless by choice....often anti-Truth (most importantly) over PR bias much of the time.

Though they would go to town on a man or a woman given loads of fame and chances and who then blows it (ahem). They're pretty sh1tty with anyone who deviates from their version of the 'norm'.
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol it like a bitchy circle of friends, one is more bitchy then the other and would happily slag someone off, that how i see the DM. It would be ironic as the DM is a female orientated paper.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell yeah!
    Slightly less than immigrants.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the eighties the Mail has been aiming itself towards a preferably Tory women readership ie Femail, endless female columnists.etc..

Its far nastier to the unemployed, gays, immigrants, unions etc. Taking the piss out of cellulite is a little less serious then demonising whole sections of society.

They have had to suck it up for decades.:(:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    They're pretty sh1tty with anyone who deviates from their version of the 'norm'.

I don't think the Fail's version of the norm has EVER actually existed, though. :confused:
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mail liked Hitler in WWII - something they are keen to avoid being reminded of.

It is a paper for Morons!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I feel that way about all of the tabloids.
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail liked Hitler in WWII - something they are keen to avoid being reminded of.

Maybe not in WWII. Or, at least not overtly.
    But they were certainly cheering him on beforehand, and don't forget their headline "Hurrah for the Blackshirts!" when they tried to whip up support for the UK's very own mini-Hitler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Yeah they are :D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What stands out for me more that anything is how badly written that article is, as is so often the case with DM online. I sometimes wonder how these so called journalists managed to get jobs writing for a national newspaper? I suppose it's not what you know it's who you know....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What stands out for me more that anything is how badly written that article is, as is so often the case with DM online. I sometimes wonder how these so called journalists managed to get jobs writing for a national newspaper? I suppose it's not what you know it's who you know....

Agreed, the standard of spelling and grammar in that rag is a disgrace. The Guardian can be pretty bad in that department too, though. Also don't get me started on the Americanisms...I don't care how large their international audience is. The Mail is, primarily, a UK paper/website.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the Mail are anti-women, but they know their 'femail' readers are anti-women too.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Of course the Mail are anti-women, but they know their 'femail' readers are anti-women too.

True.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    True.

Depressingly true.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It absolutely is. It follows a grotesque agenda of demonising women in all our forms - it often employs extreme female writers to peddle its misogyny, making hatred of women seemingly normal and something both men and women feel. Totally wrong and damaging to all us millions of women who are very pro-women.

It objectifies women by focusing on and insulting our bodies, it blames feminism for suicides, crime, addictions (just search for feminism in the Mail's site), it criticises working mothers and SAHM as if we are the only parents children have (it has nothing negative to say about fathers), and it appears to report on every single false allegation of rape whereas no rapes are reported upon (despite occurring to the tune of 100,000 a YEAR) unless there are Muslims involved or children. Rape of women? No problem and no story!

Of course, the reason the paper is so misogynistic is because sites like Mumsnet, and here of course, and other places with predominantly female membership, link to the stories as they get women (and many men) so irate at its blatent sexism. It is a highly linkable site - and the only way the Mail WON'T be sexist is if it no longer gets linked to, and people just see it for what it is and say 'Meh'!
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - the type of person who thinks women's bodies are there to be commented upon and insulted. Half the stories invite people to sneer at women's bodies...and the thick readership invariably oblige. It is a poisonous little rag that feeds on people's insecurities and fears - hence all the stories on Muslims, immigrants, gay marriage, feminism, cancer....If only more people could see through it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want one of those badges 'hated by the daily mail' :D

Not only do they hate women but they seem to hate everything about me... I am such a dam leftie, hippy mum with a career in the public sector... the scurge of society non the less..

the very least I could do is either quit my job and stay home and have babies with my husband and bring raise them to idol Samantha Cameroon...so I could become a valued reader

or I should quit my job, have six babies by six men and claim lots of benefits... so their readers can poke fun and ridicule me...
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the Fail's biggest market is women (over 50 per cent readership, more than any other paper), was pioneer in bringing female readership into mainstream newspapers back in 1890s, and has more female bylines than any other paper, its editorial sometimes seems like a perverse form of self-hatred.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely they do. I do recall they actually went so far as to use the headline "shame on you XXXX" about some female star who had dared to go out without make-up on!

And let us not get onto their attitude to young girls and their "all grown up" creepy, sleaziness.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought only Trolls wrote for them. So much for the cooey female stereotype. About as supportive as a sniper rifle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find reading the showbiz stuff on their site quite amusing in a bad way (I don't go there for proper news!). I like how blatant they are about trolling for a reaction from their readership, right down to little innocuous seeming descriptive phrases that they know will rile people up. And the comments sections of course provide all the frenzied vitriol/outrage that the article was trying to incite. It's like people don't even realise they're being manipulated. Of course that's true of all media, but I notice it there more because the reader comments always get ridiculous.