How much do you have to spend on yourself after bills?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After you pay bills how much cash do you have for luxuries like nights out, cinema or clothes?

If you are on a lower income how do you manage?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    last time i shared it the crowd went wild but my bills and commitments are few and low is all.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to say, I haven't worked it out.

Off the top of my head I would guess about £100 a week after essential bills, non-essential bills and food.

I save a lot of that though, I don't spend £100 a week on 'luxuries'.
  • Sife LucksSife Lucks Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Exactly £50. Living alone so I don't spend much on food and thankfully have family living very close to me so I'm never in any real trouble as far as food goes (I go to a family house 4 days a week for dinner), but dread to think how I would survive if I was really living alone somewhere and had to spread £50 the entire week on 7 meals and everything else.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After bills I have exactly £33 A month left, thats for food/toiletries/cleaning products etc.

Once I've paid Gas, Electricity, council tax, TV licence. Water rates, house insurance. Pet insurance. Pet food Internet. Mobile etc etc.

And I don't have 'luxuries' besides Internet. I don't smoke. My mobile bill is £10 a month. I don't have sky etc. Don't have a land line. I don't drive. I don't eat out. Can't remember the last time I bought new clothes or had a night out etc.

How do you manage on A lower income? You do without.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant thread OP, I like. :)

But you should say how much you have left too.

I have about £500, boose, cigs, savings not included.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    After bills I have exactly £33 A month left, thats for food/toiletries/cleaning products etc.

Once I've paid Gas, Electricity, council tax, TV licence. House insurance. Pet insurance. Pet food Internet. Mobile etc etc.

And I don't have 'luxuries' besides Internet. I don't smoke. My mobile bill is £10 a month. I don't have sky etc. Don't have a land line. I don't drive. I don't eat out. Can't remember the last time I bought new clothes or had a night out etc.

That's not much do you live in an expensive area with high rent or something? I imagine London would be much higher hence calls for a higher wage down there.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently about £60 a week. It's usually a bit more but I'm saving at the mo.
    I guess to some that seems quite a lot for "fun" but it can go quickly.
    If I were to have a heavy night down the pub I could get through most of that. It is for that reason that I DON'T have heavy nights down the pub very often. :D:D
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »

Once I've paid Gas, Electricity, council tax, TV licence. House insurance. Pet insurance. Pet food Internet. Mobile etc etc.

No water bills?

After rent transport fare is the most I spend on, my monthly Oyster card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not much do you live in an expensive area with high rent or something? I imagine London would be much higher hence calls for a higher wage down there.

Nope.

But unfortunately I'm currently unemployed due to illness so my only income is ESA.

For some reason people think those on benefits have it easy and have everything paid for them. Maybe people with kids do, I don't know but as a single adult you don't.

I still have to pay council tax, mortgage, TV license etc like everyone else, I get single person Council tax discount and I get free prescriptions but that's about it.

I don't mind. I'm grateful for the benefits I do get and obviously am better of than a lot of people. I'm lucky my mortgage is very small (under 4k left).

It's not easy and yes sometimes I have to decide to eat or heat the house but as I said there are many a lot worse off than me.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It varies month to month, this month is a particularly hard one and I still have another 18 days until I get paid :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No water bills?

After rent transport fare is the most I spend on, my monthly Oyster card.

Yes. I just forgot to mention it.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Enough to buy things we need/want, get take aways etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all my bills it will be over £1k a month. I usually transfer what's left into my savings account.

Not bad for someone on a private pension.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people cope?!

I have about £100 a week spare to myself, and I don't consider that a lot.

I do often wonder about people who say they can't afford to feed themselves though. I know you wouldn't eat like a king, but as an example you can get:

a loaf of bread for 40p
    a tin of beans for about 15p
    a bag of pasta for 40p
    a tin of tomatoes for 31p
    a bag of mixed frozen vegetables for 77p
    a box of corn flakes for 30p
    cans of soup for 24p
    a kg of potatoes for 39p
    10 fish fingers for 60p

Obviously; meat is going to be a bit more expensive. But there are cheap options if you really want meat. There are also plenty of other cheap ways to get your protein.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people cope?!

I do often wonder about people who say they can't afford to feed themselves though. I know you wouldn't eat like a king, but as an example you can get:

a loaf of bread for 40p
    a bag of pasta for 40p
    cans of soup for 24p
    a kg of potatoes for 39p
    10 fish fingers for 60p

Obviously; meat is going to be a bit more expensive. But there are cheap options if you really want meat. There are also plenty of other cheap ways to get your protein.

Well I guess a lot of people shop in Aldi for these fake brand Corn flakes ect..
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    About 75% of my salary
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite sure it would be zero if you struggling.

NB: I am not. So don't moan to me about internet.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    How do people cope?!

a loaf of bread for 40p
    a bag of pasta for 40p
    cans of soup for 24p
    a kg of potatoes for 39p
    10 fish fingers for 60p

There's a fab Facebook group called Feed your family on about £20 a week (icon is the inside of a jam doughnut) and that has taught me loads of cheap tricks!! We eat very well and our weekly shop is about £70 and that is for two adults, one 4 year old and a baby feeding with approx 1x £10 tub of formula.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    There's a fab Facebook group called Feed your family on about £20 a week (icon is the inside of a jam doughnut) and that has taught me loads of cheap tricks!! We eat very well and our weekly shop is about £70 and that is for two adults, one 4 year old and a baby feeding with approx 1x £10 tub of formula.

i love that group i get their shares too.
  • openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need £30 per day to cover basic bills running a car and home bar home maintenance. I have about £30 per day leftover. Mortgage is paid off.

Ideally I'd like to raise that to £50. Sometimes I don't realise how lucky I am to have a surplus of anything!

I remember doing a ballpark exercise for a family of four I know. Combined pretax income of circa £100k per year ie top 10% of households in the UK. After basics they each left the house each day with £20 in their back pocket. It was up to them how they spent it. Clothes? Holidays? House maintenance? Replacement car? Reinvest for extra income?
  • TangledNemoTangledNemo Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on a low income but I don't have many expenses atm so I have about 70-80% of my salary to spend on food, car repairs, savings and anything else really.