CS Alya in short skirt?

Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:confused: was a bit confused with this episode the other day. Being from a strict muslim family and all that. They are strict with who she dates but they don't say anything about her short mini skirt she was wearing other night. I'm with a Muslim man and I know they feel very strong about what woman wear. They like them to at least dress respectfully in trousers etc. short skirts are a no no. Just thought it's silly of Corrie! They made them come into the show as Muslims feeling strongly about things, e.g Kal and Leanne and now Alya and Gary, but they allow her to dress in this way when in real life they would be telling her to cover with trousers and not show legs etc.

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all a bit confuddled. Her Dad's ok with stripping for a gaggle of rabid women and shacked up with an ex prostitute so no idea if they're religiously conservative or liberal or whatever?
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: was a bit confused with this episode the other day. Being from a strict muslim family and all that. They are strict with who she dates but they don't say anything about her short mini skirt she was wearing other night. I'm with a Muslim man and I know they feel very strong about what woman wear. They like them to at least dress respectfully in trousers etc. short skirts are a no no. Just thought it's silly of Corrie! They made them come into the show as Muslims feeling strongly about things, e.g Kal and Leanne and now Alya and Gary, but they allow her to dress in this way when in real life they would be telling her to cover with trousers and not show legs etc.

Where have you got the idea they're a strict Muslim family? There's never been any indication of it. Zeedan and Yasmeen were against Leanne because they didn't think she was good enough to replace Kal's deceased wife Jamila (and Zeedan's mum). Yasmeen even named her beloved Community Centre after Jamila. It wasn't because Leanne wasn't a Muslim. Plus, the family was shown partaking in the festive spirit during that family day thing - if they were a strict Muslim family then they wouldn't have bothered with anything remotely Christmassy. As for Gary and Alya - well, I wouldn't want any daughter of mine to go out with a scratter like him either - would you? I can sort of see the family's viewpoint on their relationship.

Having said all that... I find the Nazirs absolutely bloody BOOORRRIIINNG and I wish the writers would either give them some proper depth or get rid. Hell, they'd be more watchable if they were strict with religion and morals!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I too am starting to think that the Nazirs objections to Gary weren't about him being a Muslim or white, they just didn't think Gary was good enough and quite frankly if MY young, quite innocent daughter brought back a fella with his history and baggage I'd be slightly concerned too. I jumped to the conclusion that they didn't want Gary because he wasn't Muslim/white but I'm a bit shamefaced about it now - unless it comes out later that that was the reason then I'll be shaking my fist again, lol!

I've also never once thought they were strict Muslims :confused: They follow their faith but in a more relaxed style and they're not bigots. Yasmeen was quite happy to join in all the Christmas stuff, they dress in a 'western' manner and have no problems mixing with everyone in the community.
  • stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The CS team have realised they have a goddess on their hands who can take over from Tina.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Its all a bit confuddled. Her Dad's ok with stripping for a gaggle of rabid women and shacked up with an ex prostitute so no idea if they're religiously conservative or liberal or whatever?

And we also saw Yasmeen giving dating advice to Sean. There's no way a conservative Muslim grandmother would be OK with and actively encouraging homosexuality,
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not confusing........its just like real life..........its 'their' rules when it suits them.....forgetting the double standards they set..........(Source? See the world over!)
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only person that I recall talking about religion was Alya when she said to Gary that her family would want her to marry a good Muslim boy (or words to that effect).

On screen, they have been very careful to emphasis that the Nazirs' objections are more to do with his character - violent history, criminal record, poor prospects, recently split from his partner with whom he has a child. We are also meant to assume that Kal knows him from the army and whilst he might have called him a friend, presumably he saw behaviour that he wouldn't want from his daughter's partner.

It's a tricky line that they are taking as we all assume that the real problem is that Gary isn't Muslim but we also see that the Nazirs are clearly not that strict in their practice of their religion.

Too be honest, my family would have been horrified if I'd brought Gary home as my boyfriend! That said, it is hard to sympathise with the Nazirs because they are all incredibly dull - although Sharif has potential I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Soaps do not know how to do proper muslim families. In order to understand you have to know about a the religion in question it can be any but in this case let's use Islam since it's the topic of discussion here.

Since all writers and EP's of all the soaps are Christians or do not beleive in any religion then getting the details and beliefs of a particular religion accurate or showing them as many of the religions strict followers do is not going to be a priority.

Which is a shame really because issues such as rape, alcoholism, homosexuality, depression, bullying, child abuse all get a lot of research done before they are shown on soap yet in Eastenders the Masoods are suppose to be a strict muslim family get they are no. Religion just does not get the same emphasisand research put into it in soaps as other stories do that do with other issues.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    The Nazirs are not a strict Muslim family. Not all Muslims are strict and don't follow stereotypes. Having seen Kal doing his strip routine with women rubbing his bare flesh I'd never call him strict. If he suddenly starts worrying about his deen I'd be surprised. My Dad is a non religious Christian and was the same about my boyfriends when I was Alya's age.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Muslim colleague told me she is not allowed to show her legs. I also thought I saw Ayla in a short skirt which is ridiculous as the Nazirs being in the Rovers and her mooning over Gingernutjob Gary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Im from a british, relaxed muslim family and I think the representation of the nazir family is not mainstream. There a bit too relaxed for British muslims in my opinion. I preferred how Eastenders did the Masoods, except the wedding they were more in line with how muslims are in britain. We're not koran quoting fanatics but we haven't lost our culture either. My family is not religious, we don't pray five times a day but we do fast etc, there's also certain things like dress code which are adhered to, not the hijab, but as mentioned before, dressing modestly. I think the Nazirs are trying to be portrayed as a relaxed Muslim family that is quite secular and involved deeply in their community as well as interfaith celebrations (full marks for that as I think thats the case in 90% of british muslims including myself) but seen as they avoid alcohol that suggests they havent forgotten their faith,in which case you wouldn't find the father stripping and the daughter wearing short skirts!
  • Happy_MummyHappy_Mummy Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok yeah they aren't what I call strict, that was the wrong word to use. But Yasmeen was against Kal and Leanne even before Nick told her about Leanne's past. I remember him saying something to Leanne about his mum and dad being very traditional and doing things the proper way and that she probably won't be happy he's with her. I'm sure if he introduced her for the first time to his mum and she was a Muslim I don't think his mum would of had such a problem. And ok they might not be strict but all I'm saying is is that I know abit about Islam as like ive said I'm with one so I've read a lot about it and what I'm trying to say is is that there are still rules like covering your body and not showing the flesh so to be a true Muslim you aren't supposed to wear short skirts. And they also shouldn't be celebrateing Christmas as Muslims see it as going against Islam and following Christianity. So it is abit stupid really. It doesn't look realistic! It just annoys me when people say they are muslim and then don't actually do what the Quran tells them that's all I'm saying! Shabnam in Eastenders however is realistic!! It's just my opinion though soo!
    Forum Member
    Im from a british, relaxed muslim family and I think the representation of the nazir family is not mainstream. There a bit too relaxed for British muslims in my opinion. I preferred how Eastenders did the Masoods, except the wedding they were more in line with how muslims are in britain. We're not koran quoting fanatics but we haven't lost our culture either. My family is not religious, we don't pray five times a day but we do fast etc, there's also certain things like dress code which are adhered to, not the hijab, but as mentioned before, dressing modestly. I think the Nazirs are trying to be portrayed as a relaxed Muslim family that is quite secular and involved deeply in their community as well as interfaith celebrations (full marks for that as I think thats the case in 90% of british muslims including myself) but seen as they avoid alcohol that suggests they havent forgotten their faith,in which case you wouldn't find the father stripping and the daughter wearing short skirts!
    Ok yeah they aren't what I call strict, that was the wrong word to use. But Yasmeen was against Kal and Leanne even before Nick told her about Leanne's past. I remember him saying something to Leanne about his mum and dad being very traditional and doing things the proper way and that she probably won't be happy he's with her. I'm sure if he introduced her for the first time to his mum and she was a Muslim I don't think his mum would of had such a problem. And ok they might not be strict but all I'm saying is is that I know abit about Islam as like ive said I'm with one so I've read a lot about it and what I'm trying to say is is that there are still rules like covering your body and not showing the flesh so to be a true Muslim you aren't supposed to wear short skirts. And they also shouldn't be celebrateing Christmas as Muslims see it as going against Islam and following Christianity. So it is abit stupid really. It doesn't look realistic! It just annoys me when people say they are muslim and then don't actually do what the Quran tells them that's all I'm saying! Shabnam in Eastenders however is realistic!! It's just my opinion though soo!
    Yes to the above. The Muslims who live in my flats in London and who I know in real life from other places are more like this. Few drink and girls who wear short skirts are very rare although one has rebelled and wears what she likes away from home and goes to the pub. The vast majority of Muslim women nearby wear hijab including modest clothes and a fair number wear niqab. I don't think the Nazirs are realistic at all. I don't think soaps research Islam very well in the same way as they research things like mental illness or anorexia, drug use etc. It's like they're afraid to show a realistic Muslim family. Shabnam on Eastenders is realistic though.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Stuart Blackburn definitely said before introducing him that Zeedan was strict about his faith, which really hasn't been well followed up!! Typical of SB & his writing team to be honest!!
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Kal behaved appallingly towards is daughter when forbididng her to be with Gary.

Someone's religion should not be used as a get-out clause - he did not take into acocunt what his daughter thought whatsoever. It is Alya's life and she should be allowed to make her own decisions (wrong or otherwise) with advice (not instructions) from her family.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Soaps do not know how to do proper muslim families. In order to understand you have to know about a the religion in question it can be any but in this case let's use Islam since it's the topic of discussion here.

Since all writers and EP's of all the soaps are Christians or do not beleive in any religion then getting the details and beliefs of a particular religion accurate or showing them as many of the religions strict followers do is not going to be a priority.

Which is a shame really because issues such as rape, alcoholism, homosexuality, depression, bullying, child abuse all get a lot of research done before they are shown on soap yet in Eastenders the Masoods are suppose to be a strict muslim family get they are no. Religion just does not get the same emphasisand research put into it in soaps as other stories do that do with other issues.
    I agree.

If Stuart Blackburn or whoever it was, wanted to bring in the Nazirs for some diversity in soaps, then why couldn't we have had a more conservative muslim family....it would have been a lot more interesting and more topical as well.
    But yet, once again, (and it happened with the Ferreiras on EE), they bring in muslim actors, who then proceed to take on white personas, so what actually is the point?
    I'd love to watch scenes with the Mother informing the daughter she can't go out with Gary because he isn't a muslim, but Corrie won't do this, as it'll probably be too "risky" for them!
    Why are most muslim families in soap usually westernised?
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I thought Kal behaved appallingly towards is daughter when forbididng her to be with Gary.

Someone's religion should not be used as a get-out clause - he did not take into acocunt what his daughter thought whatsoever. It is Alya's life and she should be allowed to make her own decisions (wrong or otherwise) with advice (not instructions) from her family.
    But then again, a Muslim man actually would forbid his daughter doing anything he didn't agree with, and would use their religión to back that up. And so at least that part of the sl is true to life.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Yes I too am starting to think that the Nazirs objections to Gary weren't about him being a Muslim or white, they just didn't think Gary was good enough and quite frankly if MY young, quite innocent daughter brought back a fella with his history and baggage I'd be slightly concerned too. I jumped to the conclusion that they didn't want Gary because he wasn't Muslim/white but I'm a bit shamefaced about it now - unless it comes out later that that was the reason then I'll be shaking my fist again, lol!

I've also never once thought they were strict Muslims :confused: They follow their faith but in a more relaxed style and they're not bigots. Yasmeen was quite happy to join in all the Christmas stuff, they dress in a 'western' manner and have no problems mixing with everyone in the community.

I agree they are Westernized Muslims. They follow the basic principles of their faith (no alcohol, Ramadan) but are not 'slaves' to it - ie they are tolerant and even join in other religious festivals, adopt Western dress etc. They probably would prefer that Alya and Zeedan marry within the faith - people with similar backgrounds to them (ie liberal, Westernized Muslims) but it isn't the be all and end all. A young man that wasn't Muslim they would probably come to terms with (Alys certainly seemed to think they'ds accept Gary if they approached the situation right) but it is more Fary's background (history of violence, criminal record, recently split from last partner with young child, no real career prospects, non professional) that bothers them.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Again with Leanne, i think Yasmeen's concern was more that she was the first woman Kal had been involved with since his wife's death and only the second in his life (as far as she and we, the audience know) and quite aside from the prostitute business, she'd had 2 nasty divorces within the last 3 years

That fact alone would make. Me nervous of her getting involved with my son who i considered vulnerable regardless of race or religion.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    But then again, a Muslim man actually would forbid his daughter doing anything he didn't agree with, and would use their religión to back that up. And so at least that part of the sl is true to life.

So should we excuse people for behaving like this just because they are Muslims?
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    So should we excuse people for behaving like this just because they are Muslims?
    Definitely not! Most people would agree that the muslim religión is in fact a very conservative backward religión, and I actually don't particulary care for their religión and what they believe in.
    But if producers actually want to being in "diversity" so much in soaps, then they should do it wholeheartedly instead of only showing one side to muslims, and that is where they're always westernised, relaxed in their religión, wear what they want etc. Why don't they show the other side to them?
    My complaint is that they're written basically as white characters. So what actually is the point of bringing them in to the soap in the first place?
    Forum Member
    Definitely not! Most people would agree that the muslim religión is in fact a very conservative backward religión, and I actually don't particulary care for their religión and what they believe in.
    But if producers actually want to being in "diversity" so much in soaps, then they should do it wholeheartedly instead of only showing one side to muslims, and that is where they're always westernised, relaxed in their religión, wear what they want etc. Why don't they show the other side to them?
    My complaint is that they're written basically as white characters. So what actually is the point of bringing them in to the soap in the first place?

BIB Exactly. That's basically the problem.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not bothered with Alya wearing a short skirt, but then that may be my ignorance of how realistically relaxed a Muslim family would be.

I agree that the family's opposition to Gary does seem to be as much class-based as race or religion. (I'd like to suggest a white family equivalent but they're possibly the first vaguely middle class family since the Ramsdens.) That said, I do think there is that aspect to it. I imagine they'd expect Alya to have a Muslim wedding and can't see Gary as part of that, there's an ethos of "He's not marriage material so why bother?" Part of me would like to see Gary try and do that, another part would like them to just elope and have done with it.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't seem particularly integrated with other members of the Pakistani / Muslim community. You would expect most of their friends to be from a similar background : Kal's friendship with Dev was about the most plausible thing.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alya in a short skirt is welcomed in my house of worship, I tell you now.