Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    I think people under estimate the magic ingredients that make one direction so appealing internationally. If it wasn't for this, regardless of social media they wouldn't have transcended globally in the massive way that they have.

After all, there are other boy bands that were on twitter and YouTube. Lawson, the risk, the wanted. The Saturdays have YouTube videos weekly and were on twitter. UnionJ with their copycat tactics and THe wanted are still not making the same kind of an impact.

The fact is that the boys had great personalities/charm/chemistry and songs which were appealing.

I don't get why those that are not so keen on one direction always throw out this card about the quality of the songs. Teen Pop! I'm definitely not a teenager and I love their stuff. Also, what's the rush? They have plenty of time to move the sound on. I would actually suggest that it might be more contrived and disingenuous to do so so quickly on their second album as if only to appease the nay sayers.

For me its fair enough for them to make subtle changes with each album. At the moment they are still only 19 and 20 years old. They can get to a coldplay type sound when they hit 30 or in good time before then.

I never said they are this popular ONLY thanks to social media, like I said before if you haven't seen my other post: of course it has to do also with carefree pop songs that instantly get into your head and the boy's personalities. Not to mention the amazing promo Simon has done for them.

I am just saying that they had it lot easier to crack America because of social networks - thanks to them, they could have easily interacted with their fans. And also, their fans shared the Youtube videos of them around the world.

Older boybands/girlbands couldn't do any of that.

I mean, look at Little Mix in the US - I highly doubt they could have achieved that 10 years ago.

And by the way, Lawson are not truly a boyband but more a pop band - if they are classified as one, then Maroon 5 could also be called as a boyband if you listen to Overexposed. Also, The Risk didn't achieve much on the X Factor, so it is a lot harder for them to have success now. The fact remains that 1D had a great start on the show that helped them a lot with their career.

And I understand what you mean about the songs, but no one actually said they should have changed in their 2nd album - everyone says they expect bigger change in their 3rd album. They can't go on having silly songs like Kiss You and Live While We're Young if they want to stay longer in the industry and if they want to have a little bit of credibility. So far, I can only see What Makes You Beautiful be remembered in a few years - and only because it had an amazing impact around the world.

And like it was said before me, Union J are nothing alike 1D - their song is cheesy and catchy, but it doesn't put them in teen pop category. Besides, it is hard to judge them on 1 song and say what kind of impact they have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    But what exactly is 'real music'?

Why are you then writing in a music forum?
    Forum Member
    Bluestone wrote: »
    I think people under estimate the magic ingredients that make one direction so appealing internationally. If it wasn't for this, regardless of social media they wouldn't have transcended globally in the massive way that they have.

After all, there are other boy bands that were on twitter and YouTube. Lawson, the risk, the wanted. The Saturdays have YouTube videos weekly and were on twitter. UnionJ with their copycat tactics and THe wanted are still not making the same kind of an impact.

The fact is that the boys had great personalities/charm/chemistry and songs which were appealing.

I don't get why those that are not so keen on one direction always throw out this card about the quality of the songs. Teen Pop! I'm definitely not a teenager and I love their stuff. Also, what's the rush? They have plenty of time to move the sound on. I would actually suggest that it might be more contrived and disingenuous to do so so quickly on their second album as if only to appease the nay sayers.

For me its fair enough for them to make subtle changes with each album. At the moment they are still only 19 and 20 years old. They can get to a coldplay type sound when they hit 30 or in good time before then.

Coldplay music? Maybe if Coldplay write some songs and sell them to One Direction. You don't understand the problem with One Direction. One Direction have no influence on their music, they sing what they get from awful Syco, they are no musicians, they don't write, they can't sing, the don't play instruments. If they wrote their teen pop then there would be a chance to mature later like Take That did. But One Direction is just a nice packaging for mediocre music bought together by Syco.

By the way, what qualifies great personalities/charm/chemistry
    to be in music business? You mix it up with actors or TV presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coldplay music? Maybe if Coldplay write some songs and sell them to One Direction. You don't understand the problem with One Direction. One Direction have no influence on their music, they sing what they get from awful Syco, they are no musicians, they don't write, they can't sing, the don't play instruments. If they wrote their teen pop then there would be a chance to mature later like Take That did. But One Direction is just a nice packaging for mediocre music bought together by Syco.

By the way, what qualifies great personalities/charm/chemistry
    to be in music business? You mix it up with actors or TV presenters.

Granted, some 1D fans will argue they do write some of their own songs which is somewhat true. However, just like The Wanted, they have a small input in some songs when their names are mentioned behind 4,5 or 6 other songwriters - I find it funny that acts like that always say they have written their own songs when that is not exactly true. I little input or actually writing half or the entire song is not the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't understand the extreme hatred that I've seen them get; I understand people not liking their music (regardless of whether you want to class it as that or not :rolleyes:) but I've noticed a lot of people mentioning them out of nowhere just to hate.

Their music is harmless fun for people, if you have a problem with the fans then you should aim your criticism at them and not the boys. Also, whether or not people would like to admit it; Zayn has a pretty good voice, could be great if he trains it more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Liam has a good voice, they should just train more - especially harmonies that are missing a lot.
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't understand the extreme hatred that I've seen them get; I understand people not liking their music (regardless of whether you want to class it as that or not :rolleyes:) but I've noticed a lot of people mentioning them out of nowhere just to hate.

One Direction is most of the time for the completely wrong reasons in the press. Nobody writes about their music, but constantly about their girlfriends, clothes, perfumes, war against other boybands etc. People are just sick of hearing this rubbish.

It's not really the boys personally that are hated, but the product One Direction, yes it's just a product. The boys stand for the product and that is hated for good reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Their music is harmless fun for people, if you have a problem with the fans then you should aim your criticism at them and not the boys. Also, whether or not people would like to admit it; Zayn has a pretty good voice, could be great if he trains it more.

How very standard...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction is most of the time for the completely wrong reasons in the press. Nobody writes about their music, but constantly about their girlfriends, clothes, perfumes, war against other boybands etc. People are just sick of hearing this rubbish.

It's not really the boys personally that are hated, but the product One Direction, yes it's just a product. The boys stand for the product and that is hated for good reasons.

I second this completely. If the press would write about the band (the music, tours etc...), that would be just fine. But it is extremely annoying to see "news" about their love life and Twitter rants.

And yes, 1D are a product, a machine that is very well organized - all the boybands are and their fans shouldn't get insulted when they hear that as it is a fact.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,220
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Even Liam has a good voice, they should just train more - especially harmonies that are missing a lot.

They do harmonies. I think because of the heavy backing music most of the time it goes unnoticed.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    I don't see what people have against them.

You'll probably find that it's mostly jealous males that hate them as they do all boybands with the standard remarks "they're all gay", "they can't sing", "they're all ugly".

It's called envy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll probably find that it's mostly jealous males that hate them as they do all boybands with the standard remarks "they're all gay", "they can't sing", "they're all ugly".

It's called envy.

You'll probably find most males don't care either way... and i've yet to hear any male throw down the "they're ugly" remark.

It doesn't sound very male at all.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . .╚⊙ ⊙╝..
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ..╚═(███)═╝
    ...╚═(███)═╝
    .... ╚═(█)═╝

Sorry, centipede coming through
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them and I'm a 20 year old male, they seem nice, they can all sing (except for Louis but that's another topic for another thread haha), their music is fun and uplifting and I don't see a problem with it, they shouldn't be getting hate from anyone, none of us know them so why waste time hating a group you don't personally know? It's such a waste of energy when you could be using it to spend time on things you do like!
    To hate a group of people you don't actually know when they're just living their dream and being happy is just childish, immature and really quite ignorant. Good on them for achieving their dreams at such a young age.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I like them and I'm a 20 year old male, they seem nice, they can all sing (except for Louis but that's another topic for another thread haha), their music is fun and uplifting and I don't see a problem with it, they shouldn't be getting hate from anyone, none of us know them so why waste time hating a group you don't personally know? It's such a waste of energy when you could be using it to spend time on things you do like!
    To hate a group of people you don't actually know when they're just living their dream and being happy is just childish, immature and really quite ignorant. Good on them for achieving their dreams at such a young age.

Good post and I agree but then you get called deluded for saying you like them or you know nothing about *real music*. They are a boy band and do what it says on the tin. Yes they are a product as are most boy bands and girl bands in fact anything in the music industry that is successful is a product. Justin, Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Katy Perry. They all have their merchandise and perfume and image.

Sadly, A lot of people dislike them because they think they had it easy off the back of the X factor. That's what is called a lucky break and every artist needs that to get known whether that is having a contact in the music industry or being spotted gigging or auditioning behind the scenes. It's whether you take that lucky break or not and run with it that makes the success.

Lucky we don't all like the same things or else life would be pretty boring but I just can't understand the hate from posters. As you say why waste the energy when being positive about what you like is so much more constructive
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of these things I am about to discuss is about 1D Themselves but will still have a negative impact on them.

I think one of the problems people have with them is some of their fans. They take over pretty much every comment section on youtube of anyone who was ever mentioned in the same sentence as them, taylor swift, ed sheeran, olly, little mix, natalie imbruglia, blondie, jake bugg, the wanted etc, even in vids where these people have made which are unrelated to 1D, for example, I have seen music videos where people write amaZAYN even when it is not a 1D song, just say amazing, or on a LM Vid, jesy beatboxed and the top comment was about how Liam should have a contest with her to see who is the best, not about the great performance they did, I mean Liam is not the only singer who can beatbox (ed sheeran, olly etc).

The media also bring them into every story too which is annoying like they ask everyone their view on 1D as of they are the only successful act out there. I also think the media and their fans over estimate their impact on the industry. They make out they made it possible for Uk acts to be successful in America in recent times and are responsible for the british invasion, but before them there was leona(bleeding love, grammy noms), amy( 5 grammys I think) and adele (7 grammies and 2 hit albums in USA). They also go on about their use of social media, but Justin Bieber was out before them and he got discovered on youtube so to say 1D are the pioneers of social media use is wrong.

I do enjoy some of their songs but one thing I dislike about the band themselves (also applys to Justin, Gaga etc) is that when there fans are sending death threats, they never tell them off for it, the fans look up to them so would listen to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    None of these things I am about to discuss is about 1D Themselves but will still have a negative impact on them.

I think one of the problems people have with them is some of their fans. They take over pretty much every comment section on youtube of anyone who was ever mentioned in the same sentence as them, taylor swift, ed sheeran, olly, little mix, natalie imbruglia, blondie, jake bugg, the wanted etc, even in vids where these people have made which are unrelated to 1D, for example, I have seen music videos where people write amaZAYN even when it is not a 1D song, just say amazing, or on a LM Vid, jesy beatboxed and the top comment was about how Liam should have a contest with her to see who is the best, not about the great performance they did, I mean Liam is not the only singer who can beatbox (ed sheeran, olly etc).

The media also bring them into every story too which is annoying like they ask everyone their view on 1D as of they are the only successful act out there. I also think the media and their fans over estimate their impact on the industry. They make out they made it possible for Uk acts to be successful in America in recent times and are responsible for the british invasion, but before them there was leona(bleeding love, grammy noms), amy( 5 grammys I think) and adele (7 grammies and 2 hit albums in USA). They also go on about their use of social media, but Justin Bieber was out before them and he got discovered on youtube so to say 1D are the pioneers of social media use is wrong.

I do enjoy some of their songs but one thing I dislike about the band themselves (also applys to Justin, Gaga etc) is that when there fans are sending death threats, they never tell them off for it, the fans look up to them so would listen to them.

I take your point but this is nothing new. I hate to think what twitter would have been like during the Stones and Beatles era. Their fans were scarey! I worked with one girl who was going to commit suicide when Paul started going out with Jane Asher.

Every fandom has their share of obsessive and unstable fans and the bigger the fan base then the more it seems like all fans are like this!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I agree. They are so overexposed it's ridiculous :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »

You don't know the fans, a lot of them really wouldn't listen to them! I've never known such a strange obsessive bunch. If 1D say something the fans disagree with/contradict them, the obsessive types immediately jump on it and pretend it's evil management putting words into their mouths. That then allows them to completely dismiss whatever it was and carry on believing whatever they want. It's hilarious, but also disturbing to witness.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    You don't know the fans, a lot of them really wouldn't listen to them! I've never known such a strange obsessive bunch. If 1D say something the fans disagree with/contradict them, the obsessive types immediately jump on it and pretend it's evil management putting words into their mouths. That then allows them to completely dismiss whatever it was and carry on believing whatever they want. It's hilarious, but also disturbing to witness.

Believe it or not, this disturds the normal part of the fanbase as well... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Believe it or not, this disturds the normal part of the fanbase as well... ;)

I'm sure it does, but I don't think the 'normal' part would be sending death threats to start with, so they don't need 1D to tell them anything anyway!
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it does, but I don't think the 'normal' part would be sending death threats to start with, so they don't need 1D to tell them anything anyway!

While I am disturbed by death threats as well, I was not referring to that part of your message because this sort of unacceptable abuse on the Internet is sadly widespread. Even people here say things they shouldn't & insult eachother, because it's the internet, so they can unleash their inner anger and frustrations on strangers with no repercutions.

I was talking about the way some 1D "fans" turn to the idea of evil management being responsible whenever it suits them. I'm not saying there is no management team making some decisions, but I am disturbed by some fo the conspiration theories that they seem to be building and desperately clinging to...

However, that won't make me judge everyone liking them (well I like them, so of course...), or the boys themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am glad you said obsessive types and as I said further up all fanbases have these types just the bigger the fan base the more fans they have that are unstable. I wish I had statistics but I am sure it is a very small part of the fanbase but because it is a big fanbase it seems like a lot .
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    Good post and I agree but then you get called deluded for saying you like them or you know nothing about *real music*. They are a boy band and do what it says on the tin. Yes they are a product as are most boy bands and girl bands in fact anything in the music industry that is successful is a product. Justin, Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Katy Perry. They all have their merchandise and perfume and image.

Sadly, A lot of people dislike them because they think they had it easy off the back of the X factor. That's what is called a lucky break and every artist

But One Direction is everything but no artists. You are deluded.
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But One Direction is everything but no artists. You are deluded.

But YOU are just pathetic... Coming to this thread every few days, posting how much you hate One Direction, putting down everyone who likes them just a little bit... Get a life!