The Spiderwick Chronicles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Didn't have high expectations but The Spiderwick Chronicles is a truly well crafted kid's flick with a genuinely moving ending.

Then I saw John Sayles' name on the credits as co-scriptwriter & it all fell into place.

Highly recommended for kids & adults alike.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't have high expectations but The Spiderwick Chronicles is a truly well crafted kid's flick with a genuinely moving ending.

Then I saw John Sayles' name on the credits as co-scriptwriter & it all fell into place.

Highly recommended for kids & adults alike.

im hoping to take my littly to see it in the school hols, im hoping im not disappointed, was really looking forward to Bridge of Teribithia but had obviously hyped it up too much as i was very disappointed with that film. Still nice but not what id expected.

Is it suitable for young children ?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loulaa wrote: »
    Is it suitable for young children ?:)

I'd say so.

There are bits that will make them jump but nothing too traumatic I'd say.
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who wrote the books,:confused: is it as good as harry potter and narnia?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think it will come close to harry potter but its fantasy fun, should be good, narnia was another one i hyped up too much and was disappointed by it.

think ill give it a go, im going for me really not my kiddy lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I also thought it was immensely superior to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The only Potter outing I've ever considered to be a complete mess, courtesy of one Mike Newell.

As somebody who has never read the books, doesn't wish too, and is viewing the films purely as exactly that, Goblet of Fire was very poorly executed. Half of it didn't even make sense... don't even get me started on the complete lack of character development.

The Spiderwick Chronicles is also much better then the first Narnia chapter, without question.

The orchestral score is composed by James Horner.

That means...

Ripoff Cocoon.

Ripoff An American Tail.

Ripoff *batteries not included.

Ripoff Willow.

Ripoff The Land Before Time.

Ripoff Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Ripoff The Pagemaster.

Ripoff Casper.

The list is endless. :D
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Spot on with the Cocoon rip-off. I detected plenty of Titanic too.

The film's OK I guess. Well made, and the kids in the audience seemed to love it (even the very small ones). It just didn't have that wow factor for me. Something was lacking, perhaps in the directorial style. It could have been better.

It would have been nice to know exactly what the 'baddie' could do if he got hold of the 'mcguffin' though.
    (baddie=ogre, mcguffin=book)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Spot on with the Cocoon rip-off. I detected plenty of Titanic too.
    That you most certainly did. I kept the focus primarily towards his fantasy scores for family/children's films. :p

Titanic in itself also had its fair share of recycled material previously composed by Horner.

Brainstorm, Sneakers, Legends of the Fall, Braveheart, Apollo 13 and the lesser-known The Spitfire Grill were all amongst the musical casualties in that film.
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the narnia film to bits so guess with spiderwick in for a real treat:D:D:D gonna go see it monday of course only cos I gotta take my nephew:o:o:o:o
  • lady_ravenlady_raven Posts: 6,462
    Forum Member
    It was good for kids, didn't really pull me in though, I much peferred Terbethia but the film did have a nice ending
  • jackpot lewisjackpot lewis Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    The Spiderwick Chronicles was one of my favorite movies of 2008! :cool: