Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Her moral compass pointed in the direction of deep romantic love? Quite an unusual turn of a phrase...I'm not sure what it means though.

+1. The two concepts are unrelated.
    Forum Member
    <<<<Carol A. I think you have mistaken her for someone in Mexico. If you choose, you can continue to be wrong, but that's not usually the logical way to deal with an error.>>>>

Good grief! It was a typo, Melinda.

But a typo you make consistently. I wondered if there was something subconscious about your espousal of the character while misspelling her name.

MMD. Well said
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    groan
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it wasn't.....you've done it for months....go back and check your old posts. Anyway, it's no big deal and just one of those niggling little things that drive you crazy after a while. Had to let you know so you wouldn't embarrass yourself further.....sort of like having spinach in your teeth......anyway...carry on.
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    double groan
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Here we are again!

I think this is a sad state on the modern understanding of discussion. Voltaire, who quoted, "I do not agree with what you have to say but I'll defend to the death you're right to say it," must be turning in his grave.

Discussion does not mean that everyone must agree with you. In fact, discussion is more interesting when there are several viewpoints and people are noting their subjective and objective views on a topic. A person's idea that "my view must be right because have it, and the character I love must be perfect because I feel she is, and if you disagree you are attacking me personally", is hardly a starting point for fascinating analyses and discourses into the complexity of TV fictional people, and TV fictional plots, and TV fictional villages.

To consider people belligerent because they are not in love with LG has always been more of a problem for the list than people actually discussing characters as they wish, thoughtfully bringing up virtues and flaws on what is defined as a Doc Martin forum.

Considering I have been picking out lines to comment on, and have been mentioning aspects of LG which are not flowing with endless praise I imagine you are referring to me. However, at this point, I really do not care if people say I am out of hand or am personally attacking them, when I am discussing that LG does not hide her feelings. Every adult at some point in life has to take responsibility for their own feelings, and not blame others, including people on the list.

If you are miserable because of my noting LG/E can be, for example, bitchy at times, there is, I'm sorry, nothing I can do about it. To enhance your moods while on the Forum, I suggest regular exercise, Omega-3 oils, good sleep, watching humorous things on TV, meditating, and a spiritual connection to something higher and better than the canon of Doc Martin. :)

It's not about you. Don't worry about it! I have no idea why you would think that. I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I was just saying that I agree with them about their interpretation of Louisa.

I didn't realize I said that everyone has to agree with me. If I did write that, it must have been a typo. I just re-read my post and I don't see anything about that. If my words can be interpreted that way, that is exactly why I don't enter the fray when the discussion gets emotional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    It's not about you. Don't worry about it! I have no idea why you would think that. I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I was just saying that I agree with them about their interpretation of Louisa.

I didn't realize I said that everyone has to agree with me. If I did write that, it must have been a typo. I just re-read my post and I don't see anything about that. If my words can be interpreted that way, that is exactly why I don't enter the fray when the discussion gets emotional.

Don't be timid, Oliver, we have all sort of fallen into a nice coexistence here. We don't snipe as much and don't really insult each other personally like it was in the past. It would be great if you would reconsider joining the posting. I got stung and insulted really badly a few times so I know your hesitation, but it would be nice to have your voice again
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Seconding Mona's and Melissa's most recent posts!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Seconding Mona's and Melissa's most recent posts!!! :)

It's Melinda.....sorry
  • Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I'm with you about Louisa. I've been on this forum regularly since 2011. I used to defend her just as you and Carol are doing.

I got sick of the argumentative nature of some of the discussions. I felt attacked for my comments, and the discussion was often to prove other people wrong.

You seem to have much thicker skin than I do. I admire that!!! I'm burned out on the belligerence. I'm here, and I'm rooting for you, but I just don't have it in me to enter the fray on that subject anymore.

I don't have thick skin and its, unfortunate, if you have been attacked (or feel that way).

I haven't been at as long so I have some milage left - LOL.

To all here: I say things that are silly, possibly foolish and for that I apologize. I don't want to start a war of words. I'm just having a bit of fun.

Poor Carol ! You are a lovely, lovely gal (lol I don't know you, tis true). I feel it in my bones. :)
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I do not feel it is unfair to pick out one line or so and comment on it. After all, at least that means I'm seriously reading posts and not skimming over them loosely.

I think we shall have to agree to disagree on LG hiding her feelings. I honestly do not see that. When she is hurt, disappointed or feeling rejected, she pushes him away, breaks up with DM, deliberately disavows his medical advice, or move out of their home, etc. Everyone but DM can figure out clearly what is going on. Strong and silent LG is not!

I would also call her more "defensive" than prideful. She does not brag she is head mistress, for example, but does get plenty defensive about her ability to do the job well, etc.

Sigh...I said this:

I find this so ridiculous. Honestly, posters here pick one or two words and then go off.
    Wait, I do that, too?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A lame attempt at humor. Nothing more.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be timid, Oliver, we have all sort of fallen into a nice coexistence here. We don't snipe as much and don't really insult each other personally like it was in the past. It would be great if you would reconsider joining the posting. I got stung and insulted really badly a few times so I know your hesitation, but it would be nice to have your voice again

You're very kind. I continue to read this forum. Most of the people in my meetup group have dropped out of this forum. I mean, I think my point is proven by the reactions to my post.

I haven't completely stopped posting! I like this better than the Facebook pages because it seems like it's more about the show and not so much about Martin Clunes.

I used to get into the sparring. For various reasons I just don't have it in me to do that any more. Somebody asked if there was anybody else who was more on team Louisa than team Martin. I can see both sides. It's the writing, they are actors speaking lines, so my frustration is more with the production team than the characters.
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree -- that I'm interested almost as much in the craft of what they're doing as in the plot.

My first strong reaction to the series was watching MArtin's interaction with his mother in S2, and wondering, how in earth did he just convey so much emotion, with so little movement and dialogue.

I went to college with and roomed with lots of people in the theater department, which left me with not much interest in actors, frankly. But this series has more or less changed my mind. So I listen when they talk about what they think they are doing.

Yes, I do, as well. When its a serious piece (Mockingbird).

Sigh...

I was making a point about S4 and Mr. Clunes interpretation...

Aw - forget it. I still find actors annoying, however, I do respect the craft and dedication to the work.
    Forum Member
    No, in my opinion it was chemical and emotional. You can smell the pheremones and feel the heat every time they kissed on screen right through the television set. They are HOT. It's one of the many reasons I love and will continue to watch the program.

Ooooo-you've got it bad!!

She loved him madly! LOL

Then life happened. Right? (series 5 and beyond)

Things have cooled, considerably.
    Forum Member
    DCFAN - many thanks!

I don't consider my views as being "in the L camp" at all. It's not a question of L camp or DM camp. jIt's just that some interpretations here were so whacky I felt I had to state what I see going on in DM. And it's others that are interpreting that as ... whatever.

This isn't a blood sport. We are, afterall, just fans discussing a popular culture tv show.

Well said, Carol. (sheepishly runs away)
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much for this forum. You're an impressive bunch...
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    It's Melinda.....sorry

Apologies, Melinda. Hope you appreciated the sentiment anyway. :blush::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Apologies, Melinda. Hope you appreciated the sentiment anyway. :blush::)

No question...my sentiments too! Thanks
    Forum Member
    I would love to see a dream sequence in the new season.

The dream could be used to establish the frame of mind of the characters Martin and Louisa ((without expressly telling the viewer).
    How does M/L, i.e., view marital bliss or
    what would a normal day in the life of his or her marriage look like. The scene could open with Martin entering the kitchen and coming upon Louisa and baby. Martin's dream: Louisa is wearing what? How does she greet him? Is the baby happy? Who prepares the breakfast, etc.
    What is discussed, if anything. The dream sequence for Louisa might begin (later in the episode or in another) as the scene opens in the kitchen
    with Martin and baby. What are the visual differences between the two dreams. Do they interact the same or are they worlds apart in how they view their roles and their marriage.

The viewer won't know if the dreams depict the marriage as it is now (what would be the point?) or what each of them envision as the ideal relationship.
    LOL - it doesn't have to be a kitchen scene. It could be a nightime bedroom scene (hilarious)! What is Louisa wearing in the bedtime scene
    in Martin's dream. What is he wearing...and what happens next. How is he dressed for bed in Louisa's dream!?! Oh, the possibilities!
    (Yes, I remember that there were dream sequences in an earlier season. My interest now would be how they visualize the marriage and relationship, the mindset of each of them, and are they vastly different from the other in their realities and/or expectations.

What I don't want to see: Date night. How stupid. As if this is going to "fix" anything. Martin will be Martin and Louisa will be Louisa. Shrug.

Hold on...what if the date was in a dream? Louisa's ideal date and Martin's ideal outing for the two could be hysterical! Poppin' the popcorn...I'd watch this with glee!

This relationship/story needs a good shot....or a hearty, swift kick in the ***.

What do you want to see that will give this story a boost and what will make you groan if forced to watch.
    Forum Member
    Boost: Martin and Louisa developing a sense of humor

Groan: Louisa or someone close to her developing a medical emergency. Martin handles the emergency and impresses Louisa with his medical skills. I am sure there are more but off the top of my head: Peter Cronk, Caroline Bosman, Louisa's father, Danny Steel, friend Holly, maid of honor Isobel, Louisa's mother, Louisa's delivery, broken collarbone, AVM.
    Forum Member
    Boost: Martin and Louisa developing a sense of humor

Groan: Louisa or someone close to her developing a medical emergency. Martin handles the emergency and impresses Louisa with his medical skills. I am sure there are more but off the top of my head: Peter Cronk, Caroline Bosman, Louisa's father, Danny Steel, friend Holly, maid of honor Isobel, Louisa's mother, Louisa's delivery, broken collarbone, AVM.

Haha. Yes, the writers could have fun with this.

An emergency with the baby - groan. I almost expect it as a plot device to push the couple together.
    Forum Member
    In S 5 the kidnapping plot device pushed Martin and Louisa together, so you are on to something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boost: Sex

Groan: I'm with you all...an emergency with the baby would curl my toes.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I've had my fill of Martin-Louisa conversations interrupted by Bert or whomever, just as they're on the brink of communicating something significant. There must be some other device they can use to keep them from having a normal-ish conversation that would aid in resolving their issues.

Dream scene -- Mrs. T. telling Louisa that you don't know what you've had until you've lost it --- (if Clive somehow bites the dust from his cardiac incident).
    Forum Member
    Boost: Sex

Groan: I'm with you all...an emergency with the baby would curl my toes.

Really? You want more. They're always at it. Little rabbits. LOL

Who expects Martin to turn up his nose at the mention of "sex"?

Now, do you see the importance of a dream sequence! I don't want to see them do anything but I'd like to get inside their thick heads. Their bedrooms scenes have to be the most unappealing that I have ever witnessed onscreen. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.