Asian woman on You're Fired

2»

Comments

• Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like AC.

He's one of the few presenters who never seems as if he's up his own backside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    You're Fired wouldn't be the same without Chiles. Whilst I question his presenting style on other programmes, he's irreplacable on this show.

That's what I was thinking. I don't really like him on the One Show, but he's got just the right sense of humour and delivery for "You're fired"
  • Options
    carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the Hell does it all matter and why are we having all these discussions? If kimberly were fired would people be asking "who was that white woman?" Somehow, I think not. Why not look up "that Asian woman's" name and then make the post?????????????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the Hell does it all matter and why are we having all these discussions? If kimberly were fired would people be asking "who was that white woman?" Somehow, I think not. Why not look up "that Asian woman's" name and then make the post?????????????

Agreed.

I find the title of this thread offensive every time I see it.

I suppose anyone who finds it offensive could press the alert button on the OP and ask the mods to change the title.

Doubt it would do much good though.

Nontheless, I'm going to do it now.
  • Options
    VividVivid Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are incredible. How madly PC can you be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't in the EU at least.

........ yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Agreed.

I find the title of this thread offensive every time I see it.

I suppose anyone who finds it offensive could press the alert button on the OP and ask the mods to change the title.

Doubt it would do much good though.

Nontheless, I'm going to do it now.

Well done, let me know how you get on.

They might do something about it... a few years back there was an overtly racist post about Leona Lewis on an x-factor forum (calling her a "black chic" and saying she did not represent talent in the UK as she was black). At the time, I rang up to complain and the thread was removed within about 15 minutes and I also received a written apology.

So.......start a complaint thread and I will support it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, let me know how you get on.

They might do something about it... a few years back there was an overtly racist post about Leona Lewis on an x-factor forum (calling her a "black chic" and saying she did not represent talent in the UK as she was black). At the time, I rang up to complain and the thread was removed within about 15 minutes and I also received a written apology.

So.......start a complaint thread and I will support it.

If such a thread were started it would be quickly removed as 'off topic'.

The best way to get something done about it is to press the alert button on the OP and complain.

If it's just one person they'll ignore it but if a steady stream of people complain they might take action.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivid wrote: »
    You are incredible.

Why, thank you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If such a thread were started it would be quickly removed as 'off topic'.

The best way to get something done about it is to press the alert button on the OP and complain.

If it's just one person they'll ignore it but if a steady stream of people complain they might take action.

I agree with you to a point, but they asked me to direct them to the racist comments at the time as they were unaware of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't say who was the white woman because there are lots of them. It's a distinguishing feature, or are we not allowed to tell people apart these days?
    Can we say who was the woman with glasses or is that offensive to people with bad eyesight? And if we can what's the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't say who was the white woman because there are lots of them. It's a distinguishing feature, or are we not allowed to tell people apart these days?
    Can we say who was the woman with glasses or is that offensive to people with bad eyesight? And if we can what's the difference?

Well, the main difference is that a woman with glasses is a woman with glasses whereas someone identified as 'Asian' may well be English/European.

The easiest way to identify her would have been simply as 'the comedian'.

Ignoring the most obvious defining adjective in favour of one that may not even be accurate just invites criticism.

On the other hand, if, say, you wanted to identify the one black person in a group of white people there is, IMO, nothing wrong with simply using colour as an identiofying feature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Well, the main difference is that a woman with glasses is a woman with glasses whereas someone identified as 'Asian' may well be English/European.

Ignoring the most obvious defining adjective in favour of one that may not even be accurate just invites criticism.

On the other hand, if, say, you wanted to identify the one black person in a group of white people there is, IMO, nothing wrong with simply using colour as an identiofying feature.

But Shappi isn't black, she's brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rudester wrote: »
    But Shappi isn't black, she's brown.

And I wasn't talking about her when I mentioned 'black'. ;)

Anyway, all human beings are basically brown.

It's just that white people aren't very good at it.
  • Options
    VividVivid Posts: 715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds racist to me.

I am going to report you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivid wrote: »
    That sounds racist to me.

I am going to report you.

Go for it!

Doubt it'll get you anywhere, though. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

But she was Asian, and said she was Iranian, which is in Asia, so I don't understand where the problem is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she was Asian, and said she was Iranian, which is in Asia, so I don't understand where the problem is

Evidently not. :(

The problem is that arbitrarily refering to people as 'Asian' just because of the tint of their skin can be very offensive to people who are English/European.

The OP evidently didn't know the subject of this thread who does not sound Asian and who did not alude to her Iranian nationality during the programme in question.

So simply assuming she was Asian could well have been offensive to her had she not been and very probably was to brown skinned people who are not Asian and have had to put up with being called 'Asian' (or worse) all their lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But She Was Asian!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I wasn't talking about her when I mentioned 'black'. ;)

:D

tanning shops are the in thing these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But She Was Asian!

Simply repeating the same thing over and over again isn't going to get you anywhere. :rolleyes:

I explained above why that is completely irrelevant.

No one is complaining that the title was offending to the comedian (at least on a personal basis).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member

Comedienne.

No sexism now ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simply repeating the same thing over and over again isn't going to get you anywhere. :rolleyes:

I explained above why that is completely irrelevant.

No one is complaining that the title was offending to the comedian (at least on a personal basis).

No, you claimed that it offended people who weren't Asian because they called her Asian, but she was Asian.
    If someone called me English could it offend Americans?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you claimed that it offended people who weren't Asian because they called her Asian, but she was Asian.

You still haven't got it, have you?

It is offensive to assume that someone is Asian just because they happen to have dark skin and then use that tag to identify them.
    If someone called me English could it offend Americans?

More to the point, if you were in the US and called a black person 'African' they very likely would be offended. In fact, do it in the wrong place and you might not live. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    typical ignorant british perspective - to consider asia to be the rest of the non white world - convenient, ay?

when i go to the middle east, arabs do not consider themselves asians at all, they consider themselves seperate.

Its sooooo ignorant that some people think that there is only one way of seeing the world. The world ain't black and white you know, then again the ignoramous' amongst us are undoublty the less well travelled and educated.