✭✭
    OMG. I most definitely WOULD have.;)
  • Wilton ShagpileWilton Shagpile Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy-lou wrote: »
    OMG. I most definitely WOULD have.;)

Me too:p

Nice little article about him here...http://www.ambiloquy.com/enjoying-good-food-and-movies/life-should-be-lived-and-thats-all-there-is-to-it

Loved him:rolleyes:
  • TiffletTifflet Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I highly recommend you read "Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Burton, Harris, O'Toole and Reed" by Robert Sellers, one of my most favourite reads in recent years. Out of the four of them Reed was from a reasonably wealthy family, believe his uncle was Sir Carol Reed, the famous film directior (The Third Man, Oliver! no wonder Ollie got a role in it)
    They don't make em like they used to. How any of them managed to act whilst intoxicated I can't imagine, doubt they'd get away with it nowadays.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There was a C4 documentary about him a few years back and it was clear that underneath his boozing, brawling exterior he was a different person. What I particularly liked about him was that he stayed loyal to the friends he had before he was famous.

It's a pity that his off screen antics overshadowed what a fine actor he was (rumour had it that it cost him the part of James Bond when Connery left - now that would have been something!) but I'm glad he got a final chance in Gladiator to show how good he was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Reed one of my favourite Reed films is the classic Hannibal Brooks.

When asked wjy he is taking his elephant to Switzerland he replies 'She's never been there!'

Plus telling I think it was Des o'connor he had a tattoo on his dick! :D
  • Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Pure class! We will never see his like again. He put the hell in hell raiser.
  • hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Yep. great guy , great actor , sadly missed.

They just don't make them like that anymore .
  • zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a really nice man. I was an extra in 'Tommy' so had the pleasure of meeting him.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    zelana wrote: »
    He was a really nice man. I was an extra in 'Tommy' so had the pleasure of meeting him.

Really?!

Did he speak to you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Oliver Reed, he was gorgeous in his hey day (which was a bonus :D ). He came across as someone who'd battled so much and sometimes he looked very lonely. Shame he's not around now but his memory is there and his achievements.
  • zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?!

Did he speak to you?

Yes he did and he was happy to have a photograph taken with me.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes he did and he was happy to have a photograph taken with me.
    It's always good to know that the people you're been a fan of for many years, turns out to be as nice as you'd have wanted.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised when I first heard that the sports commentator and presenter, Simon Reed was his brother. Total opposites !
  • TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love that movie. That really was a golden era for film and music. It's all gone south now, so much.

I believe he and Moon the Loon struck up quite a "friendship" on that set - based on a mutual love of the pub!!
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There's a website devoted to the great man here http://www.oliverreed.net/ Some nice stories from people who have met him, despite the wild image he comes over as a nice bloke.
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was on every week on C4. It was compulsive viewing for me. :)

Wish they still had fairly open ended discussion shows in that format, it's not like they don't have enough channels or airtime.

Oliver Reed's performance in Gladiator showed what a skilled actor he was. It was great that he had that final opportunity, after years of being the chatshow producers' favourite embarrassing guest.
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    What a great thread. for a great guy. Thanks for the memories Ollie.........miss ya mate.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He lived here for a while and I met him a few times..he was quite fond of my mum and used to give me money for sweeties!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I met him once. He came into the road side cafe I worked in with a very stunning young lady. Sat down in the non smoking side and lit up. I asked him to move and did not realise who he was until later on. By then I was too stunned to say anything. Was a lovely man and tipped very well. He was not driving by the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my all time fave movie stars and heroes. He was very handsome as a young man, those eyes of his were very engaging, and his voice too. A fine actor - I think 'Women in Love' was probably one of his best films.

Yeah he liked a drink, and sure, he made a show of himself numerous times, but I don't think many people thought less of him for it - I certainly didn't. I would have loved to go out on a bender with him!

A true legend, and I will certainly be reading the books recommended in here - thanks people! :)
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Great bloke and a a very underated actor. He appeared on several British chat shows and always appeared to be very drunk. However sources, including Ollie himself and I believe Parkie also, all stated that he wasn't drunk at all, it was all just an act. He died in Malta whilst filming Gladiator, having been enjoying a day off in a pub in Valletta called The Pub. I was there in March and took several photographs. It's now a semi shrine to Ollie with loads of pics and posters on the walls.
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Ollie Reed was a great actor and Sexy as hell when he was young & A hilarious drunk :)

His apperance on the Michael Aspel show sing ing I'm A Wild One is comedy gold :D :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw the appeal of raging alcoholics like Harris, Burton and Reed. All fine actors but they must have been nightmares to live with when they were in their cups. I always got the sense that Reed was quite a gentleman in real life but had to act the wild man in his later life because that was what people expected. I remember when he married his last wife: he had started dating her when she was only 16 and he was in his late 40s..They seemed happy enough. She seems to have vanished from the radar suggesting that it really was a love match on her part as she has not sought to make capital out of it since.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I somehow can't imagine Oliver Reed taking out Super Injunctions to cover up his indiscretions!