Options

New York Airport Transfers

GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone have any recommendations for Airport transfers for New York?

We are arriving into JFK but returning from Newark so probably going to have to book 2 singles rather than a return as the couple sites I have tried so far won't let you chose a different airport for the return.

I have googled but with something like airport transfers personal recommendations are always good to get.

Also, if anyone have any tips on what to see or where to eat please feel free. Never been before and it is very exciting!

Comments

• Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    You can get a Limo from JFK to Manhatten for $90 plus bridge toll. Arrive in style!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! it is tempting!
  • Options
    TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a Limo from JFK to Manhatten for $90 plus bridge toll. Arrive in style!

We did that. The porters at the hotel were all over us like paparazzi thinking we must be rich. We decided there and then if we were to do the limo again it would on the way back to the airport.
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With JFK, it's surprisingly easy to get the airtrain then the subway. It's only about $12 each too, takes about an hour & you get to see lots of the suburbs on the way in. It's the only way I'll travel in Manhattan, the bus or cab can take a while depending on traffic.

Think it was about $60/$70 for a cab the last time I looked into it.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was 70 dollars from Newark by taxi to Times Square.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    A cab is fixed price of $52 from JFK to Manhattan excluding bridge toll and tip so around $65/$70.

From Manhattan to Newark is around $70 excluding tip and bridge toll, plus you have to pay return tolls for the cab (and I think a surcharge of around $10 too for a NYC Cab.)
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the train. There's a NJ local train to and from Newark or you can get an Amtrack train (every hour I think) from Penn Station. It's a short monorail ride from the station to the airport.
    I always fly to Newark when I go to NY and get the train in and back.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For JFK, the subway made more sense for me, and is more flexible (I caught the bus when I arrived but that got a bit snarled up in traffic and only took you to Grand Central or Times Square)
  • Options
    tim1966tim1966 Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    "We are arriving into JFK but returning from Newark so probably going to have to book 2 singles rather than a return as the couple sites I have tried so far won't let you chose a different airport for the return. "

You need to look at some better travel sites. Flying into and out of two different airports really isn't a problem.

When you go the site you should find an option for multi-city routes, some times known as open-jaw.

Try kayak.co.uk that does a really effective search of a wide range of travel sites to find the best price.

You will pay an astronomical price if you try to book too singles!

For example for a week in March, Heathrow - JFK, Newark to Heathrow is £362 with Air Canada (or £399 direct non-stop)

Same dates as single tickets £373 out £244 return, £617 in total. (or £941 Direct!!)
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    We are arriving into JFK but returning from Newark
    Can I ask the reason for wanting to do that? It's less than 40 miles between the two airports:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Newark+International+Airport,+Brewster+Road,+Newark,+NJ,+United+States&daddr=John+F.+Kennedy+International+Airport,+Jamaica,+New+York,+NY,+United+States&hl=en&ll=40.692093,-73.99292&spn=0.545621,1.100006&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.452734,70.400391&geocode=FaMhbQIdPmGU-yGG8tfFN7TzsynvDOzF4VLCiTGG8tfFN7Tzsw%3BFbwsbAIdFy2a-yHwEZ9IE7JP7ClHSUDVUGbCiTHwEZ9IE7JP7A&oq=john+f+kennedy+international+airport+new&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

However, as others have said, booking an open-jaw return shouldn't be a problem.

If you plan to rent a car, there might be a one-way rental charge if you use different airports - but possibly not for two airports so close to each other.

If it's fully open again by the time you visit, Ellis Island might be worth a visit:
    http://www.nps.gov/elis/index.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQUbuIlGhrs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a return flight that we have bought. We are going Premium Economy and we had very specific times of when we wanted to fly out and back and it just so happens the cheapest way to do it was the way we have booked it. Trust me, we have trawled every site imaginable to get what we wanted at a good price which we got.

When I said about booking 2 singles that was in regards to the transfers - ie, what I started this thread about ;)

Anyway, I have found some mini bus transfers that will do it for $17 dollars each, each way so we are considering that or the tube at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    When I said about booking 2 singles that was in regards to the transfers - ie, what I started this thread about ;)
    Ah, you meant transport between the airports and the city? Sorry for confusing things.
  • Options
    RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mini buses are dreadful, they wait around until they are full, visit each terminal, then get stuck in traffic.

From JFK into Manhattan is easy and cheap and quick and safe.

We did it with one wheeley case and one carry on each.

Airtrain from your terminal to Jamaica station, you pay on exit $5 each, from the machine get a pay per ride card and add value, the card costs $1 so that will be added on and chose the value to add, eg $10 for two of you, then swipe at the turnstile, you can use the same card for more than one, just swipe and let the person go, then swipe and go through yourself.

When you are through you have two choices into Manhattan, the Long island rail road or subway. If you chose LIRR you get a combi ticket that pays for your exit from the Airtrain and your journey into Manhattan, $13.

If you want to use the subway you have more choices, depending on how long you are staying you can get an 7 unlimited Metrocard for $31 each ( these are valid on buses and subeway and break even after 13 trips!) and then this next part of your journey is included, or add more value to your pay per ride card.

Then you go down in an elevator and get a World Trade Center bound E train to Manhattan, depending on where your hotel is you get of or change trains, check subway map at MTA.

To go to Newark at the end of your stay you get the subway or walk to Penn station, get an NJ transit train to Newark Airport station, then hold on to your ticket and use it for the Airtrain to your terminal, easy and quick.

If you do get a taxi from JFK make sure you get in a proper yellow cab and not a dodgy one.

There are loads of clips to help on youtube as well.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    RootsFran wrote: »

Very nice; what's for afters! :)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Newark get the bus from 41st street under Port Authority one way for $16. It takes 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic and time of day usually.

I tend not to use JFK but you can get the subway from Jamaica Center (Airtrain from the airport to Jamaica). You can also get a taxi for a flat rate from JFK to Manhattan.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't even think about any other form of transport from JFK than the Airtrain + subway. By far the cheapest, and it's not going to take much, if any, longer than road transport because of the traffic in NY. And where I stayed last time the E train had a stop just under our hotel, and the only remotely annoying bit was getting our luggage up the steps at the end. But that's an issue in any metro system, and only a minute's hassle.

If you want to see a lot of Manhattan, then you'll be using the subway anyway (assuming you're staying centrally and want to go to the likes of the Brooklyn Bridge and the World Trade Center memorial), so it makes sense to use it to get from the airport as well.

As for recommendations of things to see, it's well worth doing a lot of the major touristy sites if you've never been to NYC (go up the Rockefeller, not the Empire State Building, I think it's a better view), and walking across the bridge to Brooklyn. The Staten Island Ferry is useful for seeing the Statue of Liberty, and Times Square is magical at night. The TKTS booths are the best place to go for theatre tickets, but be prepared to queue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read good reports of the High Line (a park/path built along an old elevated railway track) but perhaps someone who has been to NYC would like to comment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_%28New_York_City%29
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I've read good reports of the High Line (a park/path built along an old elevated railway track) but perhaps someone who has been to NYC would like to comment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_%28New_York_City%29

I visited it the last time I was there (about 18 months ago now) & it was still under development but it was open. I loved it. I particularly enjoyed the walk around the meat packing district, since your above street level you get a view of the area & surroundings. I'd definately recommend it :)