Rik Mayall RIP

Comments

• dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be happy until the BBC schedule a Rik mayall night on BBC 4.

Georges marvoulous medicine
    Rik mayall presents (that one in scarborogh.)
    The young ones episode of comedy connections
    The best eps of bottom/young ones/catflap/statesman/blackadder
    Drop dead Fred.
    Mr. Jolly lives next door

Only that will be good enough tribute.....

and don't forget Kevin Turvey Investigates
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Jeremy Vine today on Radio 2, and there were some lovely anecdotes from members of the public who had met him.
    They were recalling how funny he was, and that he was a really nice guy. :)
  • WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Hello, star of television and greatest light entertainment performer Rik Mayall here" - how Rik Mayall introduced himself on a telephone interview. Really interesting to see how he conducted himself in a non-public interview forum.

Read more: http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/From-our-archives-When-Rik-Mayall-spoke-to-Bedfordshire-on-Sunday-about-being-MP-Alan-BStard-20140610145236.htm#ixzz34FOqpnBz
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a pic in todays newspaper of Rik walking his dog on Sunday the day before he died :( he looked well in the pic so I dont understand why he died the next day
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres a pic in todays newspaper of Rik walking his dog on Sunday the day before he died :( he looked well in the pic so I dont understand why he died the next day

You are very sweet, but darling a lot of people who look and seem well die suddenly when nobody (least of all themselves) expect it.

You can have an underlying condition nobody knows about, stroke, sudden death syndrome, a fit (they think perhaps this is what happened to Rik) or it can be as innocuous as a wasp sting or allergic reaction to a food or substance. People can be in the best of health one minute and gone the next.

To be honest I thought he looked a little tired in those pics. In good spirits, obviously, but tired. His eyes seemed a little glazed but it was a hot day and everyone was probably feeling hot and tired.

The ones of him doffing his cap as he walked away from the pap are just priceless Rik.
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People can appear fine and then suddenly have a heart attack or stroke etc. It happens a lot.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly if it was a seizure possibly linked to his Quad Bike crash in 1998 it would have come on lightning quick. Sounds like it happened in the half an hour in between. Peter Richardson's son leaving and his wife finding him.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    People can appear fine and then suddenly have a heart attack or stroke etc. It happens a lot.

Best way to go I reckon, nice and quick no suffering.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Best way to go I reckon, nice and quick no suffering.

No suffering sounds good to me too.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husbands grandfather just died suddenly in the chair, him and his wife were getting ready to go out and he told her to hurry up. He sat down to wait on her and died. 10 mins later she appeared ready.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think he looked well at all. he looked pale, tired and overweight.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think he looked well at all. he looked pale, tired and overweight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dermott100 wrote: »
    Him and Mel Smith within a year of each other. A significant part of my teenage years gone so quickly and in quick succession. It does make me feel really quite old. I would normally add RIP myself but I feel that RIP is not appropriate for a comedian and an actor who had so much energy and originality, I will just go with what Ade Edminson (sp) said in his statement. (available if you Google it)

My first thought was RI (the P being silent).
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very sad one of the few of the new wave of "alternative comedians" that was actually funny.!

Alan B'stard was an act of comic genius that only Rik Mayall could have played.

He came from my Town Harlow Essex hopefully a plaque will be put in place to honour him.

He was unique a true one off who did his own thing.:(:cry: RIP Rik Mayall. :(
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    dermott100 wrote: »
    and don't forget Kevin Turvey Investigates

Grim Tales too, that was a bit like Jackanory like but more twisted ;)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    You are very sweet, but darling a lot of people who look and seem well die suddenly when nobody (least of all themselves) expect it.

You can have an underlying condition nobody knows about, stroke, sudden death syndrome, a fit (they think perhaps this is what happened to Rik) or it can be as innocuous as a wasp sting or allergic reaction to a food or substance. People can be in the best of health one minute and gone the next.

To be honest I thought he looked a little tired in those pics. In good spirits, obviously, but tired. His eyes seemed a little glazed but it was a hot day and everyone was probably feeling hot and tired.

The ones of him doffing his cap as he walked away from the pap are just priceless Rik.

Reduced me to tears:cry:
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    How terribly sad that they only know him for that dreadful film.

For me, his finest hour was the short film called Dancing Queen in the Rik Mayall Presents series. It's a bit of a rarity now, but I bought it on DVD and still regard it as one of my favourite films of all time. I honestly think it's the best thing Helena Bonham Carter has ever done.

I couldn't agree more about Dancing Queen. A real gem.
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    And me! I love that film, got the dvd of 'Rik Mayall Presents'
    I actually quite fancy him in it lol
    But great funny acting and Helena is ace in it too .

I really fancied him in it. :D He was gorgeous. He was lovely in "....Mavis Davis" too.

Bless him. RIP. :(
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously there must of been something wrong with him or something suddenly happened to him yesterday :( very sad. I hope he didnt suffer. I watched some of bottom yesterday and it really made me tear up just seeing how talented he was back then and now hes gone
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still in shock that Rik has died - I can't believe it :(.

Absolutely loved him, he was bonkers, one of those people where you'd only have to look at him and you'd laugh. Loved Ade Edmonson's tribute, summed them both up ;-).

RIP Rik Mayall - I will miss your craziness xx :cry:
  • AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    *sniffle*
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber and Midge Ure will now give permission for their songs to be used in Filthy, Rich and Catflap ?

The final episode was cut to shreds because they couldn't get clearance for "Consider Yourself" and an old Ultravox song (name escapes me..).

'Consider Yourself' is nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd-Webber it's a Lionel Bart song and I think he died a quite few years ago now so copyright's probably with his family.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    It was Roxanne you dont have to stick your message up a bottle. ;-)

Again Midge Ure is innocent - they're both Police songs so blame Sting and Stewart Copeland.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His penis fell off recently.. perhaps that had something to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_5hA77gy4
  • shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without presuming, it is a possibility that Rik Mayall died from SUDEP - sudden unexplained death from epilepsy. It is more common in males than females and most commonly happens in sleep but can happen during a seizure when a person was awake prior to it.

My son has epilepsy and is at risk of it and tbh it frightens the life out of me that he might not wake up one morning.

Rik's death was the first death of a celebrity that really upset me - I felt gutted. He was my comedy hero and was a lovely man in real life. I enjoyed almost evetything he'd ever done, but I must admit my favourites were Alan B'Stard and Filthy, Rich and Catflap - I loved his appearance on 'Ooer, Sounds A Bit Rude!'

A brilliant, brilliant man!