The Adjustment Bureau - Starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
I saw the trailer for this before True Grit on Saturday and I was quite intrigued. It seems a bit Inception-lite, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

It's out here and in the US next Friday (March 4th) and I think I'll go and see it.

Thoughts/musings?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of the few films I watch a trailer for and genuinely have absolutely no idea if its my sort of film or not.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    It seems like a mix of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Inception, which were both good films so do want to see this one.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the trailer and it does look interesting.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Looked interesting, a bit like Eternal Sunshine crossed with Bourne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I agree with the Eternal Sunshine Comparisons.

It looks very good, although I'm not sure where the action will come from to entertain a wider audience. Can't wait for it though. That and Sucker Punch are my top films I'm looking forward to this year. Maybe Captain America but I havent seen a trailer for that yet. If it looks as naff as Thor and Green Lantern than maybe not.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer before King's Speech last night and thought it looked interesting.

It's based on a Philip K Dick story - Adjustment Team - and I think most film adaptations of his work have turned out pretty good. Often the story is more coherent as a film than it was as a short story (probably the scriptwriters weren't on drugs :D). Seems closest in those terms to Minority Report or Paycheck - free will vs. everything being pre-determined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a very sweet film this, with nice chemistry between its two leads.
    The quote on the poster is very misleading tho: "Bourne meets Inception" is way off the mark, as it like neither of those films.
    For a sci-fi esque flick it's very low-fi, with what effects it may have far from special, but it wouldn't actually make a bad date film.

Review here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In general, I liked it, but I couldn't help feeling a bit disappointed. I was really looking forward to it, and perhaps because it just wasn't quite what I was anticipating, it didn't entirely meet my expectations.

Still a good film, although I reckon Monsters, Inc. did the chase through the doors sequence better!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    It's a very sweet film this, with nice chemistry between its two leads.
    But that ending...up to the last minute...it was a 7/10...after...5/10.:(

John Slattery...was very good.:cool:
    I want one of those Hats,:), and where are the Doors.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    But that ending...up to the last minute...it was a 7/10...after...5/10.:(

John Slattery...was very good.:cool:
    I want one of those Hats,:), and where are the Doors.:eek:

Right up to the last 15-20 mins it was a terrific film, mostly due to the great chemistry between Blunt and Damon. But unfortunately it got too frantic in the last reel and the ending was a cop-out.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the whole thing rather lightweight, but entertaining enough. Seemed a bit of a waste having something like this on the Superscreen at Cineworld O2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the film, and the more i actually think about it, the more i liked it. It's definitely one of the better Phillip K Dick adaptations.

8.5/10 from me.
    As for the ending, i was kind of hoping for a downbeat ending where he got lobotomised and they erased her memory of him, but i guess that's a bit too depressing for a fairly mainstream Hollywood film.

The ending we got didn't ruin it for me though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I said this on another thread, but it seems to have disappeared now :) but I think they tried to make it a chick flick that blokes would enjoy. I just mean that it is foremost a romantic film, with just a dash of sci-fi to make a bloke grumble less when dragged to the cinema.

However I think they marketed it as a sci-fi with a hint of romance, and this could be seen in my screening, where there was around 6 guys and 1 couple. I don't think it was a bad film at all but I do think a lot of those blokes where mislead to how the film was going to be. The Sci-fi was slight and the action was all at the end, which by the other posts in this thread is the point where everyone felt let down.

I saw one advertisement saying it was Bourne meet Inception and the only way Bourne is related to this film is because Matt Damon played him, that is it and it really isn't enough for a comparison they could have said Good Will Hunting meets Inception and it would have been equally as true.

It was a good film (I will be getting it on Blu-ray), but I don't think people should be mislead it is a romance film first and foremost.
    Forum Member
    It was a good film (I will be getting it on Blu-ray), but I don't think people should be mislead it is a romance film first and foremost.

The same thing happened with last years 'Monsters', where all the trailers showed action scenes, which turned out to be only about 5 minutes of the film (if that).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The same thing happened with last years 'Monsters', where all the trailers showed action scenes, which turned out to be only about 5 minutes of the film (if that).

Yeah I got caught out by this on that Twilight Sequel (the trailer with the big Werewolf Vampire battle) turns out all the action in the trailer is all the action in the film. I rented the other two twilights to catch up (which were arm chewingly bad) and when I thought well least you are caught up and it will be worth it with the next film, I sat through that film and found out it was equally as bad and all the action happens for a minute or two and then it was over.

Such a foul mood after that one :)

P.S I just love that with the adjustment bureau you could tell that all the guys were seriously mislead as to how this film was going to be. And the fact that there were not many women in the screening also showed that it might have been misrepresented. I know that my sister doesn't want to see it as it is very sci-fi as she said. I told her it is really a romance film and now she is interested.
    Forum Member
    P.S I just love that with the adjustment bureau you could tell that all the guys were seriously mislead as to how this film was going to be. And the fact that there were not many women in the screening also showed that it might have been misrepresented. I know that my sister doesn't want to see it as it is very sci-fi as she said. I told her it is really a romance film and now she is interested.

Yeah, it was the same in my screening. I knew what i was walking into after reading about the film, but after the film as i was walking out i overheard quite a few displeased comments from some groups of guys. One of them even said that they didn't understand it!:eek::confused: lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »

I loved Monsters, but I'd read quite a bit about it beforehand so knew what to expect.
    Forum Member
    I loved Monsters, but I'd read quite a bit about it beforehand so knew what to expect.

Same here, it's just a shame that the trailers tried to market it to an audience that it wasn't intended for. My screening was full of obnoxious little shits that were obviously expecting something along the lines of 'District 9'. The same thing happened with 'Buried' where the majority of the audience seemed to be expecting a 'Saw' like horror/thriller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one late last year was Cyrus, with John C Reilly. It was marketed in the trailer as a kind of gross-out comedy about a man versus a weird, demonic child, but it was actually a slow and rather sweet character study.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I went to see Killers last year .... I turned up at the cinema and picked one ... Killers seemed like the kind of film where one would expect planty of killing .... I thought myself very lucky that I convinced my girlfriend to see this ...

Little did I know .............................................................................
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I went to see it because it's a Matt Damon film. The advert said it was like Bourne Identity mixed with Inception, but it was rather watered-down compared with those two.

I realised as it was starting that I hadn't even seen the trailer, so I had little idea of what it was going to be about.

It was good enough, but it was a bit disappointing because Matt Damon's charater was running about all the time irresponsibly like a love-struck teenager instead of a middle-aged responsible politician.

The film was internally inconsistent: the Bureau is supposedly a ruthlessly authoritarian organisation which guides humanity along a vast time-scale by intervening where necessary; but along comes one mediocre rebel and they suddenlty change the rules and let him get away with it anyway. What's the point of the sense of terror and threat if it all disappears? In a way it would have been more satisfying as a film if they had become martyrs, or had their brains scrambled, or avoided it by commiting suicide.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most underrated film of the year? I think so.

Except for a few bus shelter poster I knew virtually nothing about this, only that the "bourne meets inception" tag was bound to be completely innacurate. Matt Damon & Emily Blunt though? how can that be wrong.

Well it wasn't, it was as right as right can be, it was fun without being flippant, it was thrillinmg without being over serious, and for on-screen chemistry you'll struggle to find a stronger leading pair, i actually thought the ending was just about perfect, anything else (as per those suggested above) would feel shocking for shocking's sake IMHO, sometimes a nice tidy resolution is what you want, especially when it means a couple you're really rooting for get to stay together!
  • SonickSonick Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Reminded me of Dark City but a more Hollywood version.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It did remind me a bit of Dark City as well!

I really enjoyed it but I agree with previous that the tagline Bourne meets is Inception is totally inacurate.Damon and Blunt were a great on screen couple and the ending was right!
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think a better ending would have been a 'Life on mars' style one, whereby they both kiss before leaping off the side of that building to their deaths, thereby spending the rest of their lives together (albeit a few moments before they hit the ground) and messing up 'the plan'