Iphone 5 no signal out the box

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just got a replacement Iphone 5 after I dented the last one issue is there's no signal out the box.

I posted another thread thinking it's O2 but seems not. Done a reset no joy.

Strangely 3G internet loads despite having no signal bars.

Any ideas need some help as I can't use this phone to call or text? :eek:

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they just not transfered your sim?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they just not transfered your sim?

I was using Iphone 5 before but got a replacement on ebay as I dropped my last one. Activated it about 4 weeks ago been using it fine.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Sounds very much like the phone is blocked....

I only hope you bought from a decent seller, although why you just didn't take the original one back to Apple like i said in the first place is anyone's guess...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Sounds very much like the phone is blocked....

I only hope you bought from a decent seller, although why you just didn't take the original one back to Apple like i said in the first place is anyone's guess...

The phone was sealed in a box new so it that possible still? :confused:
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phone was sealed in a box new so it that possible still? :confused:

could have been re-sealed.
    how much did you pay for it? if the price was too good to be true then that should set alarm bells off.

or it could simply be faulty. if it's a legit new iphone then it'll have a warranty, take it to your local apple store and they will look at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    could have been re-sealed.
    how much did you pay for it? if the price was too good to be true then that should set alarm bells off.

or it could simply be faulty. if it's a legit new iphone then it'll have a warranty, take it to your local apple store and they will look at it.

£480 16GB version just normal price really.

And it was a private seller.

Website says it's under warranty so should I just see the Apple store then or contact the ebay seller?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more ideas?

Won't be near any Apple shop until the weekend.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure you're holding it correctly? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Are you sure you're holding it correctly? ;)

Haha..

Frustrating issue as I've had no signal all day and any search of google finds ones that develop no signal never seen one or heard of one with no signal right away.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you pay that for a new one? Apple would have just replaced your old one for £180
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £480 16GB version just normal price really.

And it was a private seller.

Website says it's under warranty so should I just see the Apple store then or contact the ebay seller?

I would have thought that should contact the seller first as it was dead on arrival.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you pay that for a new one? Apple would have just replaced your old one for £180

I sold the old one and its worked a lot miles cheaper than Apple's £182 repair cost.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that it will work out cheaper.

The seller has sold an iPhone, that unless it was bought as a sim free phone, will be locked to the network it was originally bought for.

If that is the case then it will be the network that will have to unlock it. And this will be chargeable.

Also, if it is locked to a network, Apple will not be able to unlock it for you as the insruction to so so has to come from the network that provided the phone. Once that is dome it is unlocked via iTunes.

Don't be surprised if Apple can't do anything.

Except.

If its an sim free version and it doesn't work. Apple will just replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you 100% sure the phone is not locked to a carrier? The phone still needs to be activated, even if your existing SIM is fine.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if Apple can't do anything.

Except.

If its an sim free version and it doesn't work. Apple will just replace it.

Apple honour valid warranty claims on all iPhones, not just SIM free ones.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will only be locked to the first SIM card that is put in the phone, that's how it works
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Indeed. He said it was sealed in the box when he got it. So its either blocked or just humped at which apple will replace it.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    It will only be locked to the first SIM card that is put in the phone, that's how it works

Only for iPhones that come from a reseller like Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U.

iPhones that come directly from a network are locked to that network out of the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Only for iPhones that come from a reseller like Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U.

iPhones that come directly from a network are locked to that network out of the box.

This ^^
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that's not correct, I recently got an iPhone 5 from 3 but put an orange sim in and it worked, next day called three and I said it wouldn't work, they had to unlock handset for it to work.

Easy way to get an unlocked phone
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    No that's not correct, I recently got an iPhone 5 from 3 but put an orange sim in and it worked, next day called three and I said it wouldn't work, they had to unlock handset for it to work.

I'm confused, If the orange sim worked straight away then why did you have to unlock it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably the phone locked to Orange when the Orange SIM was inserted, and so the Three SIM didn't work. He then rang Three and they unlocked the phone. So he now has an unlocked phone for future use.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Presumably the phone locked to Orange when the Orange SIM was inserted, and so the Three SIM didn't work. He then rang Three and they unlocked the phone. So he now has an unlocked phone for future use.

Ahh sneaky. Will keep this in mind, probably never have to use this method though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think that is the case with O2 retail shops. They scan the phone serial number and it gets authorised in the shop. I tried another networks SIM first years ago before the proper one, while I was waiting for my number to transfer and it wouldn't work. But it seems to vary depending where you get it. With Carphone Warehouse for example the phone only locks when you first put the first SIM in. This may have changed now though, as I haven't bought a phone from a network in ages, and prefer to order SIM free now.