Trapped and exhausted... what to do?

lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
Forum Member
Hey guys,

I need to vent I think. I am having such a stressful time at the moment.

I am worried about my son and my ability to cope with him. He has CDD and is struggling at the moment. I also have ongoing problems with my Dad, which I have posted about before, he is kind of up at the moment but been on suicide watch in recent weeks. my gran is also really ill and frail :-(

Added to that, my partner has a little boy and he is staying with us for 6 days of the week and he is really disrupting my family. I have spoken to both of them about this but it always seems to end in an argument, I cant be bothered with arguing. I just feel that the work that I put into this family isnt appreciated and sometimes I want to run away. Rant over! :-(

Comments

• culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lcbagwash wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I need to vent I think. I am having such a stressful time at the moment.

I am worried about my son and my ability to cope with him. He has CDD and is struggling at the moment. I also have ongoing problems with my Dad, which I have posted about before, he is kind of up at the moment but been on suicide watch in recent weeks. my gran is also really ill and frail :-(

Added to that, my partner has a little boy and he is staying with us for 6 days of the week and he is really disrupting my family. I have spoken to both of them about this but it always seems to end in an argument, I cant be bothered with arguing. I just feel that the work that I put into this family isnt appreciated and sometimes I want to run away. Rant over! :-(

Using terms 99% of people here have never heard of is doing yourself no favours.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    how does your partner disrupt the family?
    if hes with you 6 days a week I would say hes part of the family?

CDD - everything I googled for it came up as businesses, what is it?
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Childhood disintegrative disorder?
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sort of "late onset" Autism that was blamed on mercury in the inoculations. Initially the child seems fine. Suddenly he's showing all the symptoms of Autism. And that's the problem. Unless you can afford to pack the kid off to a special school, or hire a nanny, you are literally trapped. Sorry but I don't have an answer other than "win the lottery".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any support groups for parents of children with this? http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/Pages/CarersDirectHome.aspx Do you have any help from social services?
    Regarding your father maybe you could contact a mental health organisation https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=support+for+relatives+of+people+with+mental+illness&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Using terms 99% of people here have never heard of is doing yourself no favours.

Ouch, a bit harsh of you.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Ouch, a bit harsh of you.

But the sentiment is true. How would you phrase it? (No need to answer that. The deed is done.)
  • lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Um cultureman, I wasnt trying to do myself any favours. I actually came on here for support. Complex Developmental Disorder. In his case it is Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia combined.

It isnt my partner who is disrupting the family it is his son, sorry if that wasnt clear. He is with us because his mother has decided that she has better things to do. I already have three children.

Martin, actually I have been fighting for a diagnosis for about 6 years. My son is nearly 13. Lovely, funny and kind but has some issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a horrible thing to say. There's nothing wrong with having a quick Google, and if that yields no results, simply asking politely what the term means.

I swear some people on here just get a kick out of being arseholes whilst shrouded by the anonymity that the Internet provides. If you talked like that in real life, you'd get a slap, and rightly so.

No advice for you OP, only my best wishes.
    Forum Member
    Are there any support groups for parents of children with this? http://www.nhs.uk/carersdirect/Pages/CarersDirectHome.aspx Do you have any help from social services?
    Regarding your father maybe you could contact a mental health organisation https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=support+for+relatives+of+people+with+mental+illness&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

My father is a lost cause I think. Lol

I get help from the SenCo at the school and the consultants at the hospital.

I wasnt on here for answers, just to vent a little as it is all a bit much at the moment.

Thank you for your interest tho guys :-)
    Forum Member
    What a horrible thing to say. There's nothing wrong with having a quick Google, and if that yields no results, simply asking politely what the term means.

I swear some people on here just get a kick out of being arseholes whilst shrouded by the anonymity that the Internet provides. If you talked like that in real life, you'd get a slap, and rightly so.

Thank you :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What for pointing out that using needlessly opaque acronyms that mean nothing to the overwhelming majority of people on a general forum like DS is counter productive? An entirely legitimate point to make.

If a classicist started dropping obscure Latin phrases into posts I would make exactly the same point. Which I guess would mean another slapping!

I notice that in a previous advice thread the OP did similar and started going on about something to which understanding the acronym "POVA" was pivotal, again with no explanation or elaboration.

Obscure, obfuscating jargon leading to a "WTF":confused: response is one of the banes of the modern world.

In the longer term my advice regarding avoiding needlessly confusing acronym use might prove more useful to the OP than your simple "best wishes".:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I waste my time posting in ADVICE.
    Forum Member
    What for pointing out that using needlessly opaque acronyms that mean nothing to the overwhelming majority of people on a general forum like DS is counter productive? An entirely legitimate point to make.

If a classicist started dropping obscure Latin phrases into posts I would make exactly the same point. Which I guess would mean another slapping!

I notice that in a previous advice thread the OP did similar and started going on about something to which understanding the acronym "POVA" was pivotal, again with no explanation or elaboration.

Obscure, obfuscating jargon leading to a "WTF":confused: response is one of the banes of the modern world.

In the longer term my advice regarding avoiding needlessly confusing acronym use might prove more useful to the OP than your simple "best wishes".:)

What an unsympathetic horrible person you must be. So instead of accepting that lecturing someone on their language when they are clearly low is not a nice thing to do, you actually trawl through my threads to find fault!!! You didnt 'notice' this at all, you went searching for another post of mine to somehow PROVE that you are right. You be shallow and very insecure. You may also rest assured that you can offer me no advice that I would care to listen to.
    Forum Member
    I don't know why I waste my time posting in ADVICE.

Me neither, I actually thought that posting this may result in a few 'things will be fine' type of posts that may cheer me up after some stressful weeks :-(
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lcbagwash please ignore the unhelpful people, I hope you feel a bit better for typing out your frustrations and annoyances, it does help sometimes just to offload all the irritation.

Things WILL get better, you know that, hold onto that thought in these dark days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is it "needlessly opaque"? Many health issues have associated acronyms, often because the name of the illness at hand is too long to continue repeating. In the end, these acronyms start to replace to longer name, especially if you are particularly familiar with said illness due to personal experience, which obviously the OP is.

Regardless of whether or not the point was legitimate, there is simply no reason to be so downright rude.

As for the usefulness of your 'advice' (and I use that term loosely) compared to my "best wishes": a.) it's not a competition as to who can be most 'useful'; and b.) the OP didn't specifically request advice at all, more support, in which case, yes, I think my "best wishes" were more useful than your snide comment :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, I actually thought that posting this may result in a few 'things will be fine' type of posts that may cheer me up after some stressful weeks :-(

That's not what Advice is for, hence the reason I bothered to find information for you. Chatter is what you're looking for.
    Forum Member
    tenorlady wrote: »
    lcbagwash please ignore the unhelpful people, I hope you feel a bit better for typing out your frustrations and annoyances, it does help sometimes just to offload all the irritation.

Yes I agree, I actually do feel a bit better! Just wanted to offload I guess and sometimes its easier to do it anonymously :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not what Advice is for, hence the reason I bothered to find information for you. Chatter is what you're looking for.

Actually, there are several support threads on Advice, so I would say it is the most appropriate place for this thread.
    Forum Member

Understood
  • tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree, I actually do feel a bit better! Just wanted to offload I guess and sometimes its easier to do it anonymously :-)
    My advice to you, at nearly 9 o' clock on a Friday night, is to pour yourself a nice glass of wine, watch something suitably trashy on TV (not CBB though, okay?;)) and be kind to yourself over the weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, there are several support threads on Advice, so I would say it is the most appropriate place for this thread.

Try reading the title - 'Trapped and exhausted... what to do? '
    Anyway, I'm off I'm giving up on Advice for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops post foul-up.