Subtitles display after rewind

4u-snapper4u-snapper Posts: 16
Forum Member
Watching the tennis at the Dome, paused the Humax and Subtitles displayed over the tennis scores after pressing Play. Could not lose them after that. Pressed Pause then followed by Play and lost them for a few seconds. Tried pressing Subtitle on the remote and was told that they were not available so I could not turn them off. Finally lost them by fast forwarding to real time during the breaks in play.
I did read about this problem on the forum when if first appeared two software updates ago - but cannot find the workaround.
Please, what is the fix - it makes pause and rewind unuseable.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press exit twice get's rid.

While viewing the affected channel live turn on subs using the remote button, and the off again. Now try live pause, it should stop it happening again.

This doesn't work for channels you have moved using customise channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    havent tried pausing tv on the 1000s yet but on the foxsat hdr to get rid the subtitles i just pressed 'OK' on the remote twice...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    havent tried pausing tv on the 1000s yet but on the foxsat hdr to get rid the subtitles i just pressed 'OK' on the remote twice...

The HDR-1000s doesn't have the bug.
    Forum Member
    The HDR-1000s doesn't have the bug.

thats good to know :D
  • 4u-snapper4u-snapper Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Graham and Mark; many thanks for your replies; they all work fine, now I can concentrate on the tennis.
    Gordon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    4u-snapper wrote: »
    Watching the tennis at the Dome, paused the Humax and Subtitles displayed over the tennis scores after pressing Play. Could not lose them after that. Pressed Pause then followed by Play and lost them for a few seconds. Tried pressing Subtitle on the remote and was told that they were not available so I could not turn them off. Finally lost them by fast forwarding to real time during the breaks in play.
    I did read about this problem on the forum when if first appeared two software updates ago - but cannot find the workaround.
    Please, what is the fix - it makes pause and rewind unuseable.

If you press exit they go away ;-)
  • B1gglesB1ggles Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    While viewing the affected channel live turn on subs using the remote button, and the off again.
    So, do you need to do that for every single channel? Or are they not all affected?

It's only been happening for a few weeks, I assume Humax know and are working on a fix?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B1ggles wrote: »
    So, do you need to do that for every single channel? Or are they not all affected?

It's only been happening for a few weeks, I assume Humax know and are working on a fix?

afaik only appears to affect BBC channels,. As the fix above works I doubt it's a high priority on a box that must shortly be discontinued. Too busy with the G2 box :D

BBC1 BBC2 BBC1-HD BBC-HD so only 4 channels.

Just tune to each in turn and press pause, if you get subtitles go back to live and toggle subs on and then off again. Try live pause again.

If that fails turn on the overall subtitles option from the setup menu and then off again. The bug appears to be related to the two options getting out of kilter.
    Forum Member
    when i had my Foxsat HDR i used to get subtitles if i paused/rewound live TV i just pressed 'OK' on the remoyte control twice and it got rid ov them
  • B1gglesB1ggles Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    afaik only appears to affect BBC channels,. As the fix above works I doubt it's a high priority on a box that must shortly be discontinued. Too busy with the G2 box :D

BBC1 BBC2 BBC1-HD BBC-HD so only 4 channels.
    I tried the solution tonight, which worked fine.

The only weird thing was that it happened on Channel 4 HD. Anyway, so far, so good. I'll check out the other channels when I get time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B1ggles wrote: »
    I tried the solution tonight, which worked fine.

The only weird thing was that it happened on Channel 4 HD. Anyway, so far, so good. I'll check out the other channels when I get time.

Channel 4 HD didn't exist last time I played with the fix :D

I don't come across the problem in normal use as I tend to always use chase playback.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed permanently? I'm getting fed up with it recurring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    It shouldn't recurr if you follow Graham's advice and on the affected channel, turn subs on & then off again whilst viewing live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    It shouldn't recurr if you follow Graham's advice and on the affected channel, turn subs on & then off again whilst viewing live.

I'm aware of that, but it does recur.
  • galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I'm aware of that, but it does recur.

I agree, I suffered from this problem, it happened on ITV as well as BBC. The dodge of selecting subtitles on and then off from live didn't work for me, no difference. Tried it several times, including rebooting, without success. The "exit" approach worked, so I programmed a macro into my programmable remote. I programmed the "Play" button to send "Play-Exit-Exit" which stopped them appearing, assuming you press play from live pause. If you pressed pause to resume, though, back they came... Eventually I got fed up and did a factory reset, using the custom firmware to back up and restore my recording schedule. This worked a treat, no sign of it now. However I expect it to return at some stage! :rolleyes:
  • jhlbjhlb Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    This subtitle problem appeared recently for me on my 3 year old HDR.
    Last night it came up during ITV1's Scott and Bailey.
    I have carried out the steps Graham outlined for each regularly used channel.
    But I could not find how to turn on and off subtitles in the setup menu???
    J
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jhlb wrote: »
    This subtitle problem appeared recently for me on my 3 year old HDR.
    Last night it came up during ITV1's Scott and Bailey.
    I have carried out the steps Graham outlined for each regularly used channel.
    But I could not find how to turn on and off subtitles in the setup menu???
    J

Menu/Settings/Language
    Forum Member
    Thanks again Graham.....:)
    J
    Forum Member
    Subtitle problem back again for the past week. Could it be because BBC have changed position of some channels? I note that BBC2 HD is now, since March 24th/25th, on 102 with BBC2 SD moved down the list. Cannot view all 5 main SD channels on one page now. Confusing.
    J
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jhlb wrote: »
    Subtitle problem back again for the past week. Could it be because BBC have changed position of some channels?

It doesn't go away permanently. I'm continually having to do it.
  • galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    It doesn't go away permanently. I'm continually having to do it.

The only fix that really works for me is a factory default reset. If you have the custom firmware, back up your record schedule first and then restore it after reset.