Options

Good on you for trying

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Any stories from the games where the competitor had no chance of doing much of anything but they came over and gave it a go?

A couple i've heard about are a guy who has only ever swam in the sea and when he was swimming in the pool he started to sink.

Another was a guy who has only ever cycled on roads and never seen a track before.
That must be a bit of a change of experience.

Comments

• Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard there was one guy in the mens marathon who ended up getting overtaken by runners from the womens marathon which started half an hour later but he still kept on running to the end.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexjones wrote: »
    I heard there was one guy in the mens marathon who ended up getting overtaken by runners from the womens marathon which started half an hour later but he still kept on running to the end.

I believe he was from Tonga.

He got dropped by the pack after 2 minutes of the marathon. Still kept going though
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    I believe he was from Tonga.

He got dropped by the pack after 2 minutes of the marathon. Still kept going though

Good for him!
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Canadian guy on the horizontal bar in the gymnastics who got back on twice after falling off, with the crowd supporting all through and urging him on to the end. Nice moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28612753
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the women boxers had never set foot in a ring and her only practice was against a punch bag.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the women boxers had never set foot in a ring and her only practice was against a punch bag.

Well I think she had practiced against male boxers but I think they were holding back cos she was a woman.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    In one of the heats of the Para 100 metres, an athlete from one of the south sea island nations was participating with (I think) cerebal palsy.

He finished the 100 metres in a time of around 28 seconds, but oh, the look on his face when he realised that this was his lifetime best..!! Sheer joy.

The crowd gave him a wonderful round of applause, and it was fully deserved.

It's times like that when sport really is all about the taking part.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the poster who mentioned the Canadian in the final of the horizontal bar. Fell twice but got back on with a huge smile on his face and the crowd roaring him on. Great moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some lovely moments mentioned above.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexjones wrote: »
    Well I think she had practiced against male boxers but I think they were holding back cos she was a woman.

Yes, but it was her first actual fight, and she didn't even have boxing boots. The people at the Glasgow club where she was practising bought her a pair. It seems she had next to no kit, and the club where she did practice had very limited facilities, and just a few anxious local lads as sparring partners.

When they did the piece on her, they didn't show any of the actual fight, just the very, very end and that she lost. I'm guessing it was rather one-sided.

All of the competitors who had to take the post boat for two days just to get to the main-land deserve huge respect for turning up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was that the British Virgin Islands?

I thought it was a 10 day boat journaey followed by a two day flight?

Some of the competitors had never left the island before.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I thought it was a 10 day boat journaey followed by a two day flight?.

No, that was St Helena. The BVI are relatively well connected.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you are right. There may be some other islands that are merely two days apart, but well done to them too!

There was that man who said his family couldn't watch on tv, because their island didn't have tv. They had the internet, so were trying to watch online, but it was very slow. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I think you are right. There may be some other islands that are merely two days apart, but well done to them too!

There was that man who said his family couldn't watch on tv, because their island didn't have tv. They had the internet, so were trying to watch online, but it was very slow. :D
    Yeah, table tennis player from Tuvalu IIRC.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect I will be adding to this list the name of Peter Kennaugh. What an effort but .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly the same, but well done Kiribati for their first ever medal and it was a Gold Medal in weightlifting
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    Not exactly the same, but well done Kiribati for their first ever medal and it was a Gold Medal in weightlifting

He isn't bad at singing either:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28612751
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

St. Helena.

5 day boat journey followed by two flights. They had a couple of days in South Africa.

Going to take 19 days to get back as the boat is in dry dock for maintenance.