What are Liverpool and Newcastle like to visit?

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool. Newcastle is a bit of a dump, it seems to have missed out on the regeneration that the other old industrial cities in the UK have had. I was really disappointed in it shopping wise. Nice people though.
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool. Newcastle is a bit of a dump, it seems to have missed out on the regeneration that the other old industrial cities in the UK have had. I was really disappointed in it shopping wise. Nice people though.

Other way around surely?
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josquius wrote: »
    Other way around surely?

I take it you haven't been to Liverpool in the last couple of years
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? Newcastle has changed a huge amount in the last 20 years. You really can't have been a regular visitor. If you want to see a non-regenerated city jump on the Metro and take a look at Sunderland. Apart from football one of the biggest causes of resent in the area is that Newcastle has got all of the development money while Sunderland has been left alone.

For regeneration just take a walk down the Quayside. In terms of shopping you have a compact city centre with a recently refurbished Eldon Square and just just outside the city the Metro Centre is one of the largest malls in Europe and attracts shoppers from as far away as Norway.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Other way around surely?

Can't speak for Newcastle as haven't been, but Liverpool has benefitted hugely from investment in the last 10 years.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    So what you are basically saying then is, besides eating, drinking & shopping there is really nothing else to see and do in Newcastle.
    Don't be so ignorant, I'm not a tourist information resource.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Loads to do in Liverpool, lots of impressive museums, great restaurants, best architecture outside London.

Newcastle is a concrete jungle in the middle of nowhere.
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be interested out of curiosity to know where the other tour dates are because I wouldn't relish a stay in either Liverpool or Newcastle. Are there any London dates or any other cities?
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Would be interested out of curiosity to know where the other tour dates are because I wouldn't relish a stay in either Liverpool or Newcastle. Are there any London dates or any other cities?

Have you been to Liverpool or Newcastle?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I reckon either would be exciting and worth a visit
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to both and enjoyed them both. More inclined to go for Liverpool but it is a close call and I'm sure Newcastle won't disappoint.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen much of Liverpool (or whatever I saw was pre City of Culture era) but my mum went recently and enjoyed it.

Newcastle is lovely too, just a pity the only time I get these days is the busiest bloody weekend of the year.(This weekend)
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    I think ive decided on Liverpool as it's cheaper on the train and takes less time too. Also as the venue is the echo arena on the Albert dock, there are hotels literally next to it or just a few yards away, which would be perfect. I like the look of the Albert dock itself anyway as it seems a lot of the museums and places of interest are located within it or close by and there are some very good places to eat. Just seems a pleasant area to be based in general.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some very helpful people on the Tripadvisor Liverpool forum if you need any help planning your trip.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186337-i414-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Newcastle but it wouldn't appeal to me (don't know anything about it though to be fair).

Liverpool however is a fantastic city in my opinion. I was at university there and there is so much to do! I'd recommend going to the top of the Anglican Cathedral if you get the time and it's a clear day as there is a fantastic view. Otherwise, the World Museum is excellent as is the Slavery Museum on the Albert Docks. There's loads of stuff to do, depends on what you're interested in of course but take a look at the Visit Liverpool website for some ideas! :)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Liverpool not that long ago. I live in London. Me and a friend decided we'd visit another city for four days and we decided on Liverpool. I had been meaning to go for years as I'd always wanted to go for soem reason. I absolutely love it. It's spotlessly clean, loads to do there, great night life. I also found the people extremely warm and friendly and thought the city itself was quite beautiful. Along with London and Manchester, Liverpool is one of my favourite UK cities. Birmingham I wasn't a fan of at all...really didn't like it...the same with Leicester. I haven't been to Newcastle but think I might have to take a trip up there.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Mentorist wrote: »

Why is that? Personally I'd much rather go to Liverpool than London.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle doesn't have too much touristy itself but Durham is nearby which is good for a few hours.
    Newcastle mostly shines for nightlife.

I think you might be quite a bit older than me.
    I'd say the quayside has gotten terrible over the last few years, when I was a kid it was the nightlife centre but now it is rather dead (Albeit pretty) with most having moved up to the station area.

The Quayside bars have actually had something of a recovery in recent months. Plenty of nice new bars opened.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might be quite a bit older than me.
    I'd say the quayside has gotten terrible over the last few years, when I was a kid it was the nightlife centre but now it is rather dead (Albeit pretty) with most having moved up to the station area.

Maybe I am older. I wouldn't like to say. ;-)

There's no doubt that the station area has seen the most growth in nightlife recent years. When I was a lad there was nothing there at all. The Bigg Market is the area to avoid now as it is just full of 16 year olds throwing up and out of town stag/hen parties.
    Forum Member
    There are dates in London though that is no nearer to me really, still a couple of hours on the train. The London dates have sold out and even if i could get a ticket, i happen to have something already on for the day i could go.

I've never been up north at all to visit, so just thought that it would be an opportunity to visit a new city. There btw is a date in Manchester but when i researched i found that any hotels are quite a way from the venue and having one close by is an important factor and another reason why i didn't choose some closer dates of the tour as they had the same issue.

I must say i have always wanted to visit Liverpool and also Manchester, so it just seemed this would be an ideal time. I'm sure i will visit both Newcastle and Manchester in the future.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Newcastle as an adult but I would thoroughly recommend Liverpool. I went to uni there so lived there for three years in 2000 and really loved it. I went back recently and it's had so much development and is even better. Whatever you're interested in it's got plenty to offer from shopping, bars, museums, cathedrals, all the Beatles stuff etc etc. I always found the people to be friendly too. A couple of nice restaurants I'd recommend The Monro ( http://www.themonro.com/ ) and The London Carriage Works ( http://www.thelondoncarriageworks.co.uk/ ).

Out of interest where is the Manchester one as I've been to quite a few gigs (music rather than comedy) in Manchester, always stayed in the city centre and never had any problems travelling to them. I am a huge fan of Manchester and prefer that for a night out, I'm a big fan of the Northern Quarter.
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I've never been to Newcastle as an adult but I would thoroughly recommend Liverpool. I went to uni there so lived there for three years in 2000 and really loved it. I went back recently and it's had so much development and is even better. Whatever you're interested in it's got plenty to offer from shopping, bars, museums, cathedrals, all the Beatles stuff etc etc. I always found the people to be friendly too. A couple of nice restaurants I'd recommend The Monro ( http://www.themonro.com/ ) and The London Carriage Works ( http://www.thelondoncarriageworks.co.uk/ ).

Out of interest where is the Manchester one as I've been to quite a few gigs (music rather than comedy) in Manchester, always stayed in the city centre and never had any problems travelling to them. I am a huge fan of Manchester and prefer that for a night out, I'm a big fan of the Northern Quarter.

It's the manchester academy on oxford road. I know there's a holiday inn express but thats about 20mins away according to google maps and to be fair does seem a fair way on street view. I mean it doesn't really matter which city it is so i just kinda went for the ones with the most convenient hotel locations and i figure why go somewhere where a hotel is 20mins away when you can go somewhere with one right next door?

I know it might seem wimpy but i kinda don't want to be walking around a city i don't know late at night on my own, safety wise and the fact i could easily get lost, as i tend to do that.....
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    It's the manchester academy on oxford road. I know there's a holiday inn express but thats about 20mins away according to google maps and to be fair does seem a fair way on street view. I mean it doesn't really matter which city it is so i just kinda went for the ones with the most convenient hotel locations and i figure why go somewhere where a hotel is 20mins away when you can go somewhere with one right next door?

I know it might seem wimpy but i kinda don't want to be walking around a city i don't know late at night on my own, safety wise and the fact i could easily get lost, as i tend to do that.....

I wouldn't let a 20 min walk put me off personally, I'd probably just get a taxi if I was feeling lazy, but fair enough. I had to walk an hour and twenty minutes back from Heaton Park when I saw the Stone Roses! Now that was a horrendous walk after being stood up all day! Haha. Manchester is pretty easy to navigate and it's always seemed pretty safe to me.

As I said before though, Liverpool is great. The only reason I'd pick Manchester over Liverpool is because I prefer the pubs and bars there but if you're not going to be going out on the town afterwards then I don't suppose that matters. :)
  • MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is that? Personally I'd much rather go to Liverpool than London.

The bits of Liverpool I have seen have been tatty and run down and not very friendly. That said it is a while since I've been to the actual city centre so I appreciate a lot of money has been spend and I'm sure it is greatly improved but there is nothing that draws me to go back there. Newcastle I actually quite like, I have family there but I think it is telling that a number of people have suggested getting out of the city and visiting Durham instead. I just think London is facinating, every time you visit there is something new to see or do. I was just curious about other tour dates because I think somewhere like I dunno Bristol or Edinburgh or maybe Leeds would be nicer to visit than Liverpool. Just personal preference.