Options

Players who peaked too soon?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
Forum Member
Like Michael Owen or Ronaldhino or potentially Wayne Rooney?

Any more examples? and if you wish , explain your decisions?

Comments

• Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more of a case of injuries catch up with them. Muscle growth as they get older, so getting kicked and running every week must take its toll on the body.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't think Owen peaked too soon. He just had injuries. If Giggs had injuries thoughout his twenties would he have peaked too soon? He was lucky that he had no major injury and had a long career.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Owen was a world class player and it was only Injurys that killed his career .
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cumulative effect of injuries is probably the major cause but there are many others.

Ronaldinho, Best, Gascoigne and many others were engulfed by the lifestyle, media attention and income explosion and never had complete careers in the game as a result. Some also had injuries (Gazza) which may have contributed as they enforced lengthy periods not playing football with time and money to burn.

Players who rely heavily on pace will naturally fade quicker as that's usually the first attribute to go.

Even relatively overlooked injuries dull a talent - Fowler had two successive injuries at Liverpool and then Leeds that effectively blunted his mobility and reduced his pace a little (which wasn't lightning to start with). He could still finish but the other aspects were important in getting him there. Owen's hamstrings were similarly problematic as his career progressed.

The very sad tale of Gabriel Batistuta tells a story too. As soon as he stopped playing, he was thrown into a world of pain. It may be that the efforts to get players out on to the pitch at the expense of their long term physical well-being is too well hidden. Pain killing injections should be banned in my book as they mask issues and risk further injury.

Others just fall out of love with the game. David Bentley said as much but I don't think he was prepared to put the work in - he was probably one of those who wanted to turn up and play and all the other stuff was a chore.

Hunger goes too - once the money's good enough some just lose that edge that took them where they were. Other things take priority and take energies - family mostly - and in most cases rightly so. You can dedicate your life to football once you've got a family or there will be issues.

Rooney's probably been partially affected by all of these. He's had a decade at the very top level and in the spotlight and looks burdened on the pitch. Still talented, of course, but the happy-go-lucky kid who thrilled us as a teenager has long since gone - the smile is a rarity these days.

The last category is a modern phenomenon - decent players who are snapped up by big clubs (or were already there but big spending limits their opportunities) and relegated to years of bench warming (if they're lucky) at a time that's crucial to their development or when they should be approaching their peak. Richards, Bridge, Sinclair, Wright-Phillips, Rodwell, Zaha, Powell - and so on. Either the move was too big (for those that were bought) or they just didn't get the game time. Such moves can kill a player's confidence.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Freddy Adu is a good example of a player who made a name for himself very early on which he subsequently found difficult to live up to. I wonder where he is now?

Francis Jeffers too. His big move never really worked out.
    Michael Johnson at Man City.
    Arguably, Alan Smith too.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Rooney without doubt. He looked like he was going to be an all time great but didn't kick on from the age of 25 or so.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron Lennon is another one.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    some of these players mentioned just weren't very good, or at least not as good as was being made out.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Rooney, I don't think it's a case of peaking too soon but more a case of losing interest in the game. The guy's been playing football at the top level of over a decade and won everything at club level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Owen got injured and lost pace which was his most important asset. Too early to make calls on Rooney when he still has a few years left in him.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Since turning 25, Rooney has scored more than 30 goals over the course of a season twice, and no doubt added plenty of assists also. If anyone else got 19 goals in 40 games in a team that finished seventh in the league they probably would be getting praise also...

It's difficult thinking of players that peaked too soon without coming across as harsh, players like Carroll for instance had a decent first 4-5 months of a league season, got a £35M move and didn't live up to the hype. Is it a case of peaking too soon, or just being seen as potentially better than they are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Since turning 25, Rooney has scored more than 30 goals over the course of a season twice, and no doubt added plenty of assists also. If anyone else got 19 goals in 40 games in a team that finished seventh in the league they probably would be getting praise also...

It's difficult thinking of players that peaked too soon without coming across as harsh, players like Carroll for instance had a decent first 4-5 months of a league season, got a £35M move and didn't live up to the hype. Is it a case of peaking too soon, or just being seen as potentially better than they are?

Since 2008/2009, it's been an ordinary season followed by a very good season for Rooney and before 2008 his return was relatively consistent. Those average seasons coincide with the times he's been unhappy at United. Of late, it's this undulating outputs that's given the impression that Rooney has stalled somewhat.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    A player that's already peaked wouldn't be putting in those very good seasons, and helping the team win trophies and league championships. I agree that off the field issues have probably played a part when he is off-form, also injuries. Rooney often needs a run of games to get to full match fitness, and in doing so looked way off the pace. Rooney at his best has never not been an assest to Manchester United, couldn't care less how he does for England, though he is on course to be their highest ever goalscorer.

I'm not even a fan of Wayne Rooney personally, a few times I wanted the club to sell him, but I'm not going to deny how good a player he can and has been upto now. At the start of his career he was being touted as the next Pele more or less, even if he was 100% fit and focused every game that was never going to happen. A fully fit and motivated Rooney is still a very good player.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Since 2008/2009, it's been an ordinary season followed by a very good season for Rooney and before 2008 his return was relatively consistent. Those average seasons coincide with the times he's been unhappy at United. Of late, it's this undulating outputs that's given the impression that Rooney has stalled somewhat.

Except Rooney hasn't stalled what so ever and has continued to be our most important player, bar possibly Ferguson's final season (and I think you could put that down to the fall out between the two). You won't find a single player at the club who has put in more work than Rooney on the pitch, plain and simple (Some might dislike the guy for what's happened off of the pitch at times, but for me it's tough to question what he does on the pitch). Almost always puts up good numbers in terms of goals/assists and that's not even taking into account that there's much more to Rooney's game than just goals and assists. Shouldn't even be mentioned in a thread like this.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    For Rooney, I don't think it's a case of peaking too soon but more a case of losing interest in the game. The guy's been playing football at the top level of over a decade and won everything at club level.

That doesn't happen to every player though does it? Look at Giggs for example.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Michael Owen for me.

He was so good so young & it was impossible for LFC not to play him every week & for him to be a first pick for England when he was 18/19/20.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I personally think Rooney could've been been even better than he's ended up being. yes he's had a very good career, but I think he had the potential to be one of the world's very best players, and with the exception of a couple of excellent seasons (09/10 being the last IMO) that hasn't really been the case.

this will seem weird in a thread like this, but IMO Messi's absolute peak was also in 2010. obviously he's still been better than everyone else since then, but back then he was about as close to unstoppable as I've seen.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I peaked too soon. I was about 10 or 11 when I was at my very best. Haven't been able to recapture that form since.

In terms of players in the public eye, I think a case can be made for Ricardo Quaresma. He was pure magic at Porto. Not so magic when he decided to move on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Jack Wilshere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Except Rooney hasn't stalled what so ever and has continued to be our most important player, bar possibly Ferguson's final season (and I think you could put that down to the fall out between the two). You won't find a single player at the club who has put in more work than Rooney on the pitch, plain and simple (Some might dislike the guy for what's happened off of the pitch at times, but for me it's tough to question what he does on the pitch). Almost always puts up good numbers in terms of goals/assists and that's not even taking into account that there's much more to Rooney's game than just goals and assists. Shouldn't even be mentioned in a thread like this.

Whatever terminology you want to use, Rooney's output has been variable for a number of seasons.

Here's league games per goal for United:

2004–05: 2.64
    2005–06: 2.25
    2006–07: 2.50
    2007–08: 2.25
    2008–09: 2.50
    2009–10 : 1.23
    2010–11: 2.55
    2011–12: 1.26
    2012–13: 2.25
    2013–14 1.71

So, as a young player (up to 2008-2009) it was relatively consistent albeit not spectacular and you'd expect him to get better as he reached his peak. And, at 25/26, he hit his current peak. Even if that's deemed "too early" are there mitigating reasons why this has been the case? Very possibly.

Thereafter, he's had a very good ratio, followed by a very average one.

What's striking here is that every other year, his average deteriorates. Is that a stamina thing - as those seasons follow an international tournament?

To be fair to Rooney, some seasons he's been asked to play wider/deeper - and in a lot of the seasons where he's not scored as many goals, his assists have doubled which supports this.

It's hard to say whether he deserves to be in this thread as there are clearly a lot of factors at work here. If he plays up front for United and scores at a very healthy rate then he may prove people wrong but I suspect he will play deeper and maybe wider if Falcao plays or RVP regains form, therefore opening things up for conjecture.

Personally, my stance is that he's not improved exponentially as much as some but that's not to say he deserve the stick he gets as his output has been clearly very good overall. However, he doesn't look like he's enjoying his football as he once did and it's been evident that unhappiness does affect his form drastically (as it would many players) - whether that's affected him becoming one of the world's great players is another debate entirely. I think a lot of people's frustration has been at international level where he has not met expectations when it really mattered - but that's not entirely all his own fault.

At 28 coming on 29, he doesn't deserve to be categorically included in this thread but he does warrant being part of the debate. We'll not know the full story until he's retired. There's a difference between not reaching your full potential and peaking too soon and I think Rooney's more the former.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I peaked too soon. I was about 10 or 11 when I was at my very best. Haven't been able to recapture that form since.

In terms of players in the public eye, I think a case can be made for Ricardo Quaresma. He was pure magic at Porto. Not so magic when he decided to move on.

I don't think he ever peaked. Just didn't develop properly.