Options

What do you think of Sainburys store staff who overly stare when Iding for Alcohol?

Comments

• Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    Rude and unprofessional is what I think.

When buying alcohol today Sainsburys woman at self checkout twisted her neck like a right proper lizard and must off been inches from my face staring at me for what must of been 2 seconds. I felt this was total violation of my personnel space and very rude.

Why don't they get trained in how to ID someone from when they start scanning and a quick glance from a couple of meters should be more than enough. Not this lizard like action they have all been trained to perform.

Sainburys is definitely the worst for this of all the supermarkets.

They stare but they're cheese twists are the best i don't mind it to much .olo
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When buying alcohol today Sainsburys woman at self checkout twisted her neck like a right proper lizard and must off been inches from my face staring at me for what must of been 2 seconds. I felt this was total violation of my personnel space and very rude.

Why don't they get trained in how to ID someone from when they start scanning and a quick glance from a couple of meters should be more than enough. Not this lizard like action they have all been trained to perform.

i reckon she was staring at you because you didn't bring your own bag and stood too close the the person on front of you when moving up the line
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wanted a bit of rufusrain in her life. I'd be flattered ;)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I think they are trained but a customer wearing a romper suit wasn't included in the training hence the longer look.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not at all rude or unprofessional, what a load of toilet by the OP.

Unfortunately for you, it's my job, and being professional at my job means needing to scrutinize every bloody face.

Believe me I don't enjoy discerning your age from staring at your ugly mug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member

ID is only required AFTER scanning if the purchases require ID.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think of Sainburys store staff who overly stare when Iding for Alcohol?

So, if Sainsburys is the worst for overly staring at you, on a scale of 1-10 how do you rank these for overly staring at you?
    Tesco
    Asda
    Morrisons
    Waitrose
    Aldi
    Lidl
    M&S
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see that being asked for ID would be annoying but I was more referring to the way they can tell I am clearly over 25 without even taking a few seconds to look properly :D

Where do you live? The legal age for buying alcohol in the UK is 18, unless it has changed and I haven't heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Where do you live? The legal age for buying alcohol in the UK is 18, unless it has changed and I haven't heard.

look up 'Challenge 25'
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The legal age, yes, but retailers have a "check if the customer looks under 25" policy to lessen the risk of being caught out by someone who (through accident or design) looks older than their years.

... and then some individual checkout staff set the bar even higher so that they don't get caught failing to check the age of someone who might be under 25.

Annoying as it must be to be checked all the time, I wouldn't mind if some of them might at least pretend that there was a possibility that I might be under 25!
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got ID'd in Sainsbury's when I was 34. It seemed unnecessary, considering that not only was there no way in hell I looked underage with my obviously balding head but I also had my 8 year old son in tow.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    The age is still 18, but they challenge anyone who looks under 25 to prove that they are 18+. As long as you can produce ID that shows you are 18 you will be fine.

I'm 22 and a few weeks ago I was asked for ID to buy paracetamol, for which you have to be 16 to buy. I was even sporting a beard at the time. Since I didn't take my ID with me and being a little offended at being accused of being a 15 year old boy I bought it from another shop across the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    look up 'Challenge 25'

Thanks, so outside of Scotland it has no legal standing and is just a way of shops covering their arses and losing business.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    The legal age, yes, but retailers have a "check if the customer looks under 25" policy to lessen the risk of being caught out by someone who (through accident or design) looks older than their years.

... and then some individual checkout staff set the bar even higher so that they don't get caught failing to check the age of someone who might be under 25.

Annoying as it must be to be checked all the time, I wouldn't mind if some of them might at least pretend that there was a possibility that I might be under 25!
    What niggles me, just a teeny bit, is that those who are regularly ID'd or aware that they may look under 25, never have their ID ready and often seem surprised to be asked, sometimes don't have their ID with them, when they must know there's a chance they could be carded.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you young folk complaining.

Wish they'd give me a second look sometimes - usually have to check the receipt to make sure I was ever really there. Then get drunk :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just displaying her opinion of Alcoholism.no crime in that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, so outside of Scotland it has no legal standing and is just a way of shops covering their arses and losing business.

pretty much! Its a policy position and, unfortunately for the customer, failure to adhere can result in refusal to sell.

cant see it losing them much business tbh.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Sainsburys is like Marks & Spencer. This is where the middle classes shop lol. The posh people, oooh look at us as we pay £10,00 for a loaf of bread, oh what's that Emily, you want a £5.00 salad for your lunch. Why of courrrrrse dear, tell papa to bring plenty notes of the 100 variety I've seen some shem-pooooooo, yasssss, I have for my hair darling. Wont you help Mother choose a scent. Oh lemon would be devine, simply devine!

lol.
    You're not funny dear.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is the way things are and that is that, if you do not like it then try another shop, I bet you will get the same problem there.

I do not work on checkouts thank goodness, but I still have to take the same think 25 test every so often and I find it difficult to guess the ages of people. If I was on checkout I will I.D everyone just to make sure.

Lose business? I doubt it very much or not enough to worry about it, cover their arses? you bet, if booze is sold to someone under age, the shop could lose it booze license and be find and the store manager could be in for the high jump.
    The checkout operator who sold the booze, would be fined, have a criminal record, could lose their job, not worth the risk to be honest.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    I read the thread title as "Idling for alcohol" at first, and wondered what on earth Sainsburys staff were up to!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I read the thread title as "Idling for alcohol" at first, and wondered what on earth Sainsburys staff were up to!
    I thought that's what the title said too :D
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I thought that's what the title said too :D

But, but..that is what it says! :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

You are on Sainburys property. They can look at you while standing on their head if they want to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I was in Sainsburys and I was with my partner who is older than me. She thought he would be the one buying the shopping and was surprised when she had ended scanning everything that I stepped forward to pay with my card. She said "oh, if I had known you were paying I would have asked for ID for the alcohol". I thought it was odd at the time and took it as a compliment, even though she didn't say it with an ounce of humour. If it is their responsibility to question people who might look under 25, fair enough, however alcohol is legal to buy in this country at the age of 18. Either we need an ID card system in place to make purchasing easier, or supermarkets need to stop selling booze altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It is the way things are and that is that, if you do not like it then try another shop, I bet you will get the same problem there.

I do not work on checkouts thank goodness, but I still have to take the same think 25 test every so often and I find it difficult to guess the ages of people. If I was on checkout I will I.D everyone just to make sure.

Lose business? I doubt it very much or not enough to worry about it, cover their arses? you bet, if booze is sold to someone under age, the shop could lose it booze license and be find and the store manager could be in for the high jump.
    The checkout operator who sold the booze, would be fined, have a criminal record, could lose their job, not worth the risk to be honest.

It doesn't impact on me, I've got filings over 25 years old and am folically challenged.:D

BIB, What's underage though, 25, 21, 18?