Co - codamol

JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been prescribed co-codamol 30/500. My pain is at its worst when I walk or stand, if I am having a lazy day, should I still take the tablets? Is the effect cumulative, or should I just take them before, during and after activity? I know never to exceed 8 a day.

Comments

• QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take these (along with other pain meds) and it's better to take them regularly rather than 'as and when'.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I find codeine and co codamol is not working for me now, I can't up the dose as it makes me drowsy :(
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt this a question for your GP, given that it is a prescrpted medicine?
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks QTC13 :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I occasionally have unpredictable severe pain in one or both of my knees, coupled with occasional bouts of gout. To get through this, I take a 30/500 co-codamol plus one 25mg diclofenac (Voltarol) at the same time.

Thankfully the gout isn't too frequent, but my left knee often starts to get painful at around 8pm. I do try to avoid taking anything if at all possible, but on occasion, it becomes obvious that I won't get any sleep if I don't. If I then take the two tablets, I'm always asleep within about half an hour, with the only side-effect being that I can sometimes wake up in the morning and fall asleep again. Luckily, I don't have to be at work by any particular time.

So in answer to your question, I can reliably state that a one-off dose will take effect within a short time and you can repeat it if you feel the effects wearing off. I can often go a week without the need for them, but if I need to, I can go straight back on them with the same effect as before.

If you suffer from knee pain, either from arthritis or cartilage problems, I can assure you that the low-dose diclofenac plus the 30/500 co-codamol is very effective. The 50mg diclofenac might be better still, but that always gives me stomach problems, whereas I'm fine with the 25mg.

One word of warning... when you wake up in the morning, your spectacular greenhouse gas emissions may cause your own, personal hole in the ozone layer directly above your house.

I should also advise that you are warned not to take co-codamol for more than three consecutive days or it can lead to addiction, although on the few occasions when I have needed to, I have never had any problems at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I should also advise that you are warned not to take co-codamol for more than three consecutive days or it can lead to addiction, although on the few occasions when I have needed to, I have never had any problems at all.

This is sound advice.

However, GP's seem to dish them out like Smarties.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    I take these (along with other pain meds) and it's better to take them regularly rather than 'as and when'.

Better in what way?

I would have thought that the codeine in particular would lose potency this way.

Using them 'as and when' (as long as it's not all the time) would prevent a tolerance building up.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Try not to take them on an empty stomach either. Whenever I take 30/500 without eating first or for a while I end up seriously spaced out.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    Try not to take them on an empty stomach either. Whenever I take 30/500 without eating first or for a while I end up seriously spaced out.
    I can only say that from personal experience that has never been the case. However, they do effectively relieve the pain and enable you to carry on with normal life. If you take the full dose for three days I can imagine that you might feel a bit "detached"; however, if you are at the state where you really need to take them like that, feeling slightly spaced out would be the least of your worries.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You will know yourself if you need to take them.
  • Wii UnfitWii Unfit Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Better in what way?

I would have thought that the codeine in particular would lose potency this way.

Using them 'as and when' (as long as it's not all the time) would prevent a tolerance building up.

Google drug half life, obviously with some prescription drugs long term use is a no no. But for keeping pain down you're effectively topping up what's left in your system which makes it more effective:
    http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/csebasti/Pharmacology/Medication%20Half%20Life.pdf
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii Unfit wrote: »
    Google drug half life, obviously with some prescription drugs long term use is a no no. But for keeping pain down you're effectively topping up what's left in your system which makes it more effective:
    http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/csebasti/Pharmacology/Medication%20Half%20Life.pdf

Oh I appreciate that, and I can understand that for many drugs - but codeine is so addictive, being an opiate, in which tolerance can be built up in a matter of days it seems suprising that a constant 'topping up' wouldn't knock the general efficacy of the drug.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, your advice is very helpful :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Oh I appreciate that, and I can understand that for many drugs - but codeine is so addictive, being an opiate, in which tolerance can be built up in a matter of days it seems suprising that a constant 'topping up' wouldn't knock the general efficacy of the drug.

This is so true. I've been on Co-codamol for over 7 years now. I've tried to come off them twice and make do with my other pain meds. Failed miserably both times. Support from GP was practically non existent.

OP - don't be afraid of taking them, just be mindful they can be addictive.
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually on these for 10 years and never got addicted to them. I only came off them as they caused a reaction with morphine patches and made me unconscious.
    Caused terrible constipation and I now have a problem downstairs due to that alone, despite taking lactulose.

Word of warning though- I was told that the codeine in co-codamol may well take you over the drugs limit for driving. I was suspended from my last job just because they found out my medication and decided it was illegal in their opinion.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, your advice is very helpful :)

The only other things I would add are not to take other medicines that also contain paracetamol (such as some flu remedies, etc.) in combination with this medicine since this can result in exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of paracetamol and to leave a gap of 4 hours between doses.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same time strength Co codamol as you. My gp told me to take them as needed. I usually take them at night, they make me feel very spaced out.
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was prescribed them after a knee replacement, however they were far to strong for me and I felt dizzy and nauseous for hours afterwards, I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow without a wave of sickness coming over me.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Just a word of warning - these tablets can be dangerous to people with gallstones.

I had a doctor prescribe them to me, when the amazing co-proxamol tablets were taken off the market, to ease gallstone pain.

First time I took them, I had a massive attack in the middle of Oxford Street. On reading the information sheet properly, it said NOT to be given to patients with gallstones!
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also give you dreadful constipation , buy prunes to go with them. Eat about ten prunes per tablet.
  • sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a migraine with nausea - be wary of taking co-codamol/codeine as it can make the nausea much worse. They are effective for migraine WITHOUT nausea however.