Options

Glue | E4 | Brand new |

Comments

• Options
    Toffee_AppleToffee_Apple Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Watched the first episode of this this morning and I really enjoyed it. I think there was a bit too much gratuitous drug use but I like the concept. Got a bit muddled at the beginning with who was who but I think I'm starting to work it out and the bloke from Rizzle Kicks stood out for me.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do tv producers think teen drama = drugs,sex,violence, bad language etc...

Its lazy, insulting and offensive.

Also why do these type of dramas all seem to have to get a full frontal form every young male actor on the show-. its a borderline perverse attempt by the shows writers/producers.

the nudity added nothing to the story and was deliberately included. e.g. the corpses genitals.

And why are the female actors exempt ?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's basically Broadchurch meets Skin type show. I do think it will be a good watch and i liked the first episode last week but i have to agree with the whole teens taking drugs. It seems a bit excessive, why does every teen drama have to include every single person taking drugs?! Full frontal male nudity also seemed a bit much. I have no idea but is everyone shagging in the hay inside/outside barns?

Is this really what countryside life is like?

The actress from Pramface who plays the cop does look far too short and young for the role. We'll see how she expands. The bloke from Rizzle Kicks is seriously annoying and seems like he's playing himself. Any time i've seen him interviewed as part of Rizzle Kicks he just comes across as a right dick! They could have found better actors for this i reckon.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to tonight's episode :)
  • Options
    GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I really can't decide if I like this or not.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm half watching this...

So the baby isn't Ruth's?
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    This isn't too dissimilar to the Who Killed Lucy story in EastEnders.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I'm half watching this...

So the baby isn't Ruth's?

I was kind of half watching this too, but I think she said Ruth's daughter is her sister?
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I was kind of half watching this too, but I think she said Ruth's daughter is her sister?

yeah thats what i heard, it sounds like Ruth slept with tinas father which will make her baby Tinas sister.

not a bad ep but a bit confusing but at least it is going at a fast pace.

i agree with what people are saying about Jordan from rizzle kicks, i am finding his character annoying.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better episode tonight although it had to include the obligatory teens having a party scene to show it's proper yoof innit! :D Just ridiculous!

Rob aka Jordan from Rizzle Kicks is the biggest tw*t going, i cannot stand his character! Stick to your day job you plank! I think Tina fancies Eli more than she likes Rob.

I thought Ruth was saying she and Tina are sisters but the baby is Tina's sister so that makes more sense. So does that make Ruth an auntie to Tina or am i barking up the wrong tree? It's late and i'm tired! Lol.

Totally confused about James and what item of either his or Cal's he's trying to find. Burning down his caravan is seriously mental! Isn't he the one who murdered the baby cow last week?

The best part was Janine and her completely false indentity. She's definetely upto no good!
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed last week's episode, I found it slow burning and powerful. But last night's was a bit of a mess. Two things are majorly letting it down: the dialogue (the characters speak in an odd, heightened way which doesn't fit the gritty mood they're going for) and the majority of the acting, particularly from the supporting characters. That scene where Ruth came to the hospital and her mum was telling her how the baby was seriously made me cringe. The mum's acting was just terrible, and Ruth's wasn't much better!

With all that said, it looks visually stunning and I am at least finding the central premise of the murder interesting. I like the scenes with the horses, they're the real stars of the show. And I quite like James, not least because he's very easy on the eye but also because I'm most interested in his story. I'm guessing he's gay? And most likely in love with Rizzle Kicks boy? (He's also probably the one sending him the videos.)

And yeah, Rizzle Kicks is an annoying character but at least he's meant to be. I think he's doing an okay acting job. The female actors are very hit and miss.

I'll probably keep watching but I had hoped this would be a bit stronger than it is.
  • Options
    -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed last night's episode, not as strong as the first imo, but still solid. I just hope it doesn't get too soap opera-y with all the twists - the reveal about Janine was brilliant, but the Tina/Ruth stuff put me off a bit. A bit too Jeremy Kyle for my liking.

For the most part, I think the actors are doing a good job - especially the ones who play Tina and James. Jordan's doing extremely well considering it's his first role, and while his character is getting increasingly more annoying, that's clearly the intention. On the flipside, the actress who plays Janine is very hit & miss, and the one who plays Ruth is downright poor imo :( Not sure what went wrong, as I thought she was good in Submarine.

I convinced myself last week that Janine would be the killer, but all the scandal around her basically confirms she didn't do it. Too easy. So I'm gonna go with Annie for now - basically I'll continue to choose the least likely person until they do something shady :p
  • Options
    diplodocusdiplodocus Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed last week's episode, I found it slow burning and powerful. But last night's was a bit of a mess. Two things are majorly letting it down: the dialogue (the characters speak in an odd, heightened way which doesn't fit the gritty mood they're going for) and the majority of the acting, particularly from the supporting characters. That scene where Ruth came to the hospital and her mum was telling her how the baby was seriously made me cringe. The mum's acting was just terrible, and Ruth's wasn't much better!

With all that said, it looks visually stunning and I am at least finding the central premise of the murder interesting. I like the scenes with the horses, they're the real stars of the show. And I quite like James, not least because he's very easy on the eye but also because I'm most interested in his story. I'm guessing he's gay? And most likely in love with Rizzle Kicks boy? (He's also probably the one sending him the videos.)

And yeah, Rizzle Kicks is an annoying character but at least he's meant to be. I think he's doing an okay acting job. The female actors are very hit and miss.

I'll probably keep watching but I had hoped this would be a bit stronger than it is.
    I've been getting the impression there was something going on between James and Cal. He was looking for something that Cal had hidden, but he was looking in his own bedroom. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that I'm not sure they'd include a gay relationship between a 14 year old and a 17/18 year old. Although James' sister did make a comment to him that seems like foreshadowing a reveal.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the ratings guys?
  • Options
    storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glue attracted 216k last night so for E4 in the evening its decent to be honest.
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    It's basically Broadchurch meets Skin type show. I do think it will be a good watch and i liked the first episode last week but i have to agree with the whole teens taking drugs. It seems a bit excessive, why does every teen drama have to include every single person taking drugs?! Full frontal male nudity also seemed a bit much. I have no idea but is everyone shagging in the hay inside/outside barns?

Is this really what countryside life is like?

The actress from Pramface who plays the cop does look far too short and young for the role. We'll see how she expands. The bloke from Rizzle Kicks is seriously annoying and seems like he's playing himself. Any time i've seen him interviewed as part of Rizzle Kicks he just comes across as a right dick! They could have found better actors for this i reckon.

This show definitely lacks the quality of Broadchurch and if we go one notch down it does not even have the intensity of Happy Valley. Therefore for me the story telling seems to lack a little structure but maybe that suits the chaps and chappesses who watched Skins but it is not for me.

With regards to excess and is this what the countryside is like? Yes it can be. I lived very close to a stables growing up so became a focal point of my youth living in an area where there were more farms than anything else and all the architecture is Tudor/Elizabethan and the high street includes Aga cookery shops and agricultural machinery show rooms for tractors rather than cars. Anything new related to holistic healing clinics and designer menswear. Therefore growing up in area with a lot of wealth can seem very boring to a teenager and the countryside has in abundance home made alcohol and mushrooms so parts of Glue rang true to me.

It was the whodunit storyline and the acting where things fell a little flat.

Best

M
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ In a nutshell, missfit. Lambourn is made up of just such shops.

Not only is Lambourn a typical town in the Berkshire countryside only a few minutes from the M4 and London but it is the second largest racing community in the UK which brings loads of wealth via owners, jockeys and trainers. In the meantime the poorly paid and overworked stable staff and others working within the racing industry are getting more bored by the day and looking for excitement, whether legal or otherwise.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the police woman looked online for the vet and it came up with a picture of another woman did they later on confirm the vet was using a fake name? And did I hear right when it said Cal was brought up in care?

Sorry was only half watching and still don't all the names but if this is true I think it will come out Cal and the vet were related or know each other from care etc.

Also I agree it seems James is gay
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Glue attracted 216k last night so for E4 in the evening its decent to be honest.

No it's not, its probably one of E4's worst ratings in the 10pm for a drama in a long time. The 1,000,000th Repeat of Big Bang Theory managed 500k earlier in the evning and the programme of beforehand (The 100) managed 900k

This is a show which is all style over substance. The writers have done nothing to make us care about any of the characters. Who cares if a character on for 5 minutes is murdered? Who cares if one of the reckless, drug taking teeangers killed him?
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diplodocus wrote: »
    I've been getting the impression there was something going on between James and Cal. He was looking for something that Cal had hidden, but he was looking in his own bedroom. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that I'm not sure they'd include a gay relationship between a 14 year old and a 17/18 year old. Although James' sister did make a comment to him that seems like foreshadowing a reveal.

I didn't think of that but yes, it is possible.

When James' sister said about it being a 'paedo heaven round here' (or something along those lines), were we meant to take from that that Cal was raped before he was murdered? It just seemed a bit of an odd line to put in.
  • Options
    misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    ^^^^ In a nutshell, missfit. Lambourn is made up of just such shops.

Not only is Lambourn a typical town in the Berkshire countryside only a few minutes from the M4 and London but it is the second largest racing community in the UK which brings loads of wealth via owners, jockeys and trainers. In the meantime the poorly paid and overworked stable staff and others working within the racing industry are getting more bored by the day and looking for excitement, whether legal or otherwise.

I thought it may as Lambourn is well known for National Hunt training whereas my local area is home to the oldest hunt in Britain so this attracts a very similar demographic. When I go back now it is idyllic but I never appreciated it when I lived there a little like the characters from the TV show.

For me it is a shame it is not better as rural life does not often feature in crime fiction.

Best

M
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only watched the first episode which I thought was all right. I'll probably watch episode two and three back-to-back online this week. Billy Howle was great in the scene where he broke down crying in Rob's bedroom.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Third and last episode tonight. Hope it improves and doesn't leave us wondering ......!
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Third and last episode tonight. Hope it improves and doesn't leave us wondering ......!

I thought there were 8 episodes? If it's only 3 then they really haven't given this enough time to develop.
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I thought there were 8 episodes? If it's only 3 then they really haven't given this enough time to develop.

I'm pretty sure it's 8 episodes.