Options

Xbox 360 Electricty costs

Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know how much it costs roughly to run a Xbox360?

I've read that the Jasper Chipset runs in at a hefty 150 watts.

That works out at more than my PC, monitor, tv and wii when they are all switched on.

I'm thinking of buying one but if my electricty bill goes up by around £100 per year then I will probably stick with my wii.

Comments

• Options
    joedjoed Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the power consumption on the back of a friends 360 power supply that will tell you :p

Surely if you have enough money to own a Wii, PC and a TV and plan to buy a 360, then why are you worrying about what the cost of electricity to power a 360 is :confused:
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-1.htm

If you've got an upscaling DVD player use that for DVDs, the power consumption for DVD playback on the 360 is terrible.
    joed wrote: »
    Have a look at the power consumption on the back of a friends 360 power supply that will tell you :p

Surely if you have enough money to own a Wii, PC and a TV and plan to buy a 360, then why are you worrying about what the cost of electricity to power a 360 is :confused:

It common sense to factor in running costs before making a purchase, it no different to checking the fuel consumption before buying a car.
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I use mine for Gaming only. No Movies, no DVDs, not even music most of the time, and spend, in total, £15 a week on my Cooker, Fire, TV, V+ Box, Xbox, 360, Two Laptops and sometimes a second 360, plus all the lights and so on.

£100 a year is nothing. What, £2 a week? On electric? If your paying Gas, then fair enough. i can understand why you wouldnt want to fork out more for more energy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »

If you've got an upscaling DVD player use that for DVDs, the power consumption for DVD playback on the 360 is terrible.

It common sense to factor in running costs before making a purchase, it no different to checking the fuel consumption before buying a car.

I know what your saying but it's a games console!
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the price of the console is less of an issue for me than the running costs.

150 watts is 3 times the power consumption of my pc.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently discussed in this thread; http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1154243

Quote from The Guardian in 2005; "At full whack the machine (XBOX 360) uses as much power as the spin cycle on a washing machine, adding up to £18 to the average annual electricity bill."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what your saying but it's a games console!

It still costs money to run and it's not unwise to factor that in when thinking of making a purchase.
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

yea but he's talking like he's going to play 24/7. 150 watts is nothing, and well such devices have fluctuating load based on how much is going on anyways, like how a computer psu doesn't run 500 watts max all the time because of its 500 watt spec:P in any case, 150 watts is like lighting a room, if you are worried about that kinda stuff bankrupting u..., u got issues.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    throw a few energy saving light bulbs in to offset the cost of the 360s juice, or play in the dark.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much it costs roughly to run a Xbox360?

I've read that the Jasper Chipset runs in at a hefty 150 watts.

That works out at more than my PC, monitor, tv and wii when they are all switched on.

I'm thinking of buying one but if my electricty bill goes up by around £100 per year then I will probably stick with my wii.

Unlikely.
  • Options
    LeviathainLeviathain Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    yea but he's talking like he's going to play 24/7. 150 watts is nothing, and well such devices have fluctuating load based on how much is going on anyways, like how a computer psu doesn't run 500 watts max all the time because of its 500 watt spec:P in any case, 150 watts is like lighting a room, if you are worried about that kinda stuff bankrupting u..., u got issues.

150 watts is not nothing, one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to a PS3 or Xbox 360 is exactly because of the power consumption.

The earlier xboxes used around 200 watts, the new chipset has reduced it to around 150 watts.

Most people use energy saving light bulbs now and they're around 9 to 11 watts.

According to this site the PS3 costs more to run, approx $260 (£155) per year. Xbox 360 $203 (£121) per year, though these are based on US costs.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:+/2008/06/04/ps3-xbox-360-consume-more-energy-than-a-fridge-mac-beats-pc/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    Unlikely.

My tv is 35 watts, PC is 50 watts, monitor is 35 watts and a wii is about 17 watts.

So very likely in my case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It easy to see who pays the bills in this thread and who doesn't. :D
    frasera wrote: »

If you look at the link I gave you'll see that the power consumption just from the dashboard is very high, DVD playback is even worse. I'm not sure what point your trying to make about PCs, it's a statement of the obvious that has nothing to do with the 360. People don't realise the 360/PS3 (and PC before you point that out) are using well in excess of 100watts while idle. I know a guy with one of those key meters, he has to put quite a bit extra on if he has extended gaming sessions over the week.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still costs money to run and it's not unwise to factor that in when thinking of making a purchase.

What is the alternative though?

You can choose a different model of car that's more efficient, but with Games consoles you don't really get much choice.

You could pick a console with a lower power consumption, but there's obviously only really a choice between three consoles at the moment and the other issues should be far more important when choosing between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what point your trying to make about PCs, it's a statement of the obvious that has nothing to do with the 360.

The point is that a device with a power supply rated at a specific wattage does not use that amount of power 24/7.

i.e. the 500w PSU in the computer is not drawing 500w all of the time, that's simply the maximum it is rated for.

The Xbox 360 is the same. The console wont be using 203/175/165w (depending on chipset) all of the time that it is on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    The point is that a device with a power supply rated at a specific wattage does not use that amount of power 24/7.

i.e. the 500w PSU in the computer is not drawing 500w all of the time, that's simply the maximum it is rated for.

The Xbox 360 is the same. The console wont be using 203/175/165w (depending on chipset) all of the time that it is on.

The xbox 360 is primarily used for gaming, if you stick any game in whilst running a power reader it is often over 100 watts.

A PC has many functions, if you are using it for basic browsing or office apps it should be a lot less than 100 watts dependant on the specs etc.

A PC with a big @ss graphics card, I'm talking the shader 4 ones clock up 200 watts easy as the inbuilt fan is usually always spinning.

There is a lot more wattage variance in a pc than a games console, unless you use the PC specifically for the latest graphic intensive games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leviathain wrote: »
    The xbox 360 is primarily used for gaming, if you stick any game in whilst running a power reader it is often over 100 watts.

A PC has many functions, if you are using it for basic browsing or office apps it should be a lot less than 100 watts dependant on the specs etc.

A PC with a big @ss graphics card, I'm talking the shader 4 ones clock up 200 watts easy as the inbuilt fan is usually always spinning.

There is a lot more wattage variance in a pc than a games console, unless you use the PC specifically for the latest graphic intensive games.

Modern cards aren't so bad, they turn the clock speeds right down when not gaming.

Daveoc64 wrote: »

Why do you keep bringing up the PC? of course power consumption varies, has anyone suggested it doesn't? the fact is the 360 uses a ridiculous amount of power when doing nothing other than sitting at the dashboard and even more when gaming compared to the Wii. The OP asked about the difference between the 360 and the Wii, he didn't ask about the PC.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has got to be a joke correct? I mean even when I was a student and had very little money that still didn't stop me from getting a 360 and paying the bills with no problem.

It reminds me of a conversation a few of us were having in work the other day. Someone who earns at least £50k a year doesn't allow his family to put the heating on till November to save on the bills. I just couldn't get over how someone who earns a nice amount can still be really tight when it comes to things such as this.
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    £50k and no heating until November?? Thats complete insanity! Whoever does that needs a bloody slap.

It costs £100 a month to heat my house top to bottom with Gas. So I don use it because thats WAY too much. But if I were earning £50k, Id have the heating on DOUBLE!!

Unbelievable.

And everyone should play Video Games in the dark. Its the only way! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people on here when they decide to buy a new big screen lcd tv they check how much power it uses before buying it :D

It's not something that would cross my mind, if I see a nice tv that I really like I buy it, I wouldn't let something so trivial put me off

Ducks backside comes to mind :p
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can afford a nice big HDTV and a console, then you surely can afford the electricity costs too.

Yeah and the guy who doesn't put his heating on till Nov and earns £50k, don't worry we really did rip into him when he told us that.
  • Options
    DontMessDThreadDontMessDThread Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many people on here when they decide to buy a new big screen lcd tv they check how much power it uses before buying it :D

You'd be surprised how many people see a plasma tv at a reduced price, buy it without realising that it will cost over £200 per year to run.

All these new consoles that eat up a lot of electricty, a lot of the time it is down to lazy manufacturers who try to outperform each other in specs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you keep bringing up the PC? of course power consumption varies, has anyone suggested it doesn't? the fact is the 360 uses a ridiculous amount of power when doing nothing other than sitting at the dashboard and even more when gaming compared to the Wii. The OP asked about the difference between the 360 and the Wii, he didn't ask about the PC.

Seeing as I've posted twice in his thread, with only one post mentioning PCs, I haven't "kept bringing up the PC".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It easy to see who pays the bills in this thread and who doesn't. :D

no, actually we see who reads headlines without a bit of skepticism or common sense.
    http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_1288/How_Much_Power_Does_Your_Xbox_360_Use

its standby power is a mere 2 watts. you let yourself be whipped up into a hysteria by eco fear mongerers.

based on the old xbox360 "Playing Xbox 360 for an average of four hours a day will eat up about 233 kilowatt-hours per year. Depending on where you live, that's an annual bill of $10 to $35 for the Xbox 360 alone." http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6398157.html

If you look at the link I gave you'll see that the power consumption just from the dashboard is very high, DVD playback is even worse. I'm not sure what point your trying to make about PCs, it's a statement of the obvious that has nothing to do with the 360. People don't realise the 360/PS3 (and PC before you point that out) are using well in excess of 100watts while idle. I know a guy with one of those key meters, he has to put quite a bit extra on if he has extended gaming sessions over the week.

i've looked into this stuff plenty enough to know whats what. i HAVE a kill a watt to know what my stuff actually needs. the reality is that unless he keeps it on playing 24/7 he won't reach any significant billing. not buying a second console for electricity reasons is simply ridiculous when considering the total cost of a console. one game easily outstrips the cost of an annual bill even if he played 8 hours a day. never mind the controllers and accessory bills.

Leviathain wrote: »
    150 watts is not nothing, one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to a PS3 or Xbox 360 is exactly because of the power consumption.
    The earlier xboxes used around 200 watts, the new chipset has reduced it to around 150 watts.
    Most people use energy saving light bulbs now and they're around 9 to 11 watts.
    According to this site the PS3 costs more to run, approx $260 (£155) per year. Xbox 360 $203 (£121) per year, though these are based on US costs.
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:+/2008/06/04/ps3-xbox-360-consume-more-energy-than-a-fridge-mac-beats-pc/

i use those lights. you need quite a few to get good lighting in a room unless you want to live in a cave of bad lighting. in any case, your lights are on far more than a console.

and dude...don't blindly follow headlines. the 360 only uses that much if you leave it playing 24/7. its called media hysteria, headlines are created with massaged truths to get your attention, don't be so easily led.

i mean seriously, if you left your stove on all year you'd have a ginormous bill. one 1500watt element x 24hrs x 365 days = $1600! but so what, it has no bearing on reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i mean seriously people.. there are online calculators that work out the cost if you don't want to do the math.
    http://www.electricity-usage.com/Electricity-Usage-Calculator.aspx

put in 150watts 24 hours a day, 12cents killwatt hour which is what i googled up as equiv for 7p for uk electricity.(might not be exact, but good enough) and the result is
    157 dollars a year. yes, so your headline nonsense is based on absurd conditions.

4 hours a day? 26 bucks a year. aka 15 pounds
    oh..my.. god..
    that breaks the bank.
    the horror.

i don't live in the uk right now so i don't have the exact cost per kwh, but a few percent off 15 pounds either way is basically nothing.

seriously, as far as costs go, electricity is a minor consideration. if you are that poor you shouldn't be buying games for any system.
This discussion has been closed.