Options

London, idea's on where I could live?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,
I am considering moving to London and I have a job interview in Twickenham on Thursday.

If I was succesfull I have been thinking about where I would live. My requirements are:
half an hours travel time from Twickenham,
easy to get into central London
A nice "local" area with local pubs nice shops and friendly people
Not extortionatly expensive,

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Near Twickenham and not extortionatly expensive is not an easy thing to find! Teddington meets most of your requirements but it's by no means cheap. Islweworth may be a cheaper but not quite so nice option. Hampton, Hampton Hill and Fulwell could be worth a look.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Depends what you call extortionately expensive?

Are you happy to flatshare?

And do you mean half hour door to door for home to work?
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're looking at a particular pricey part of london OP. Teddington, st margarets, strawberry hill & Richmond are all near twixkenham and meet your requirements, but very pricey. As Keefy mentioned, isleworth is a bit cheaper, but certainly not as nice and then Whitton and hounslow which are not very nice at all really and actually not all that cheap. Have a look at some property websites and see what you can let for your budget in those areas. Might also be worth, whilst you' are down, having a scout around those areas and see how you like them.
  • Options
    freshfresh Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    London and some surrounding areas are not cheap! I live 30 mins by train just outside london. its reasonable somewhat considering the prices for a 1 bedroom flat (single, non shared) and live 5 mins from both the train station and town centre.

to get to twickenham (straight train) where I live is about 45 mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for your idea's so far;
    just to clarify, yes I would be looking for a houseshare I don't know how much london prices are but would about £5/600 (pcm) be about the mark - the cheaper the better really.
    And half an hour to work is just approximate - if that's the factor that's pushing the prices up I can go further, I just don't want an hour stuffed on a tube surounded by miserable people every morning and evening. At the moment (in Bristol) I walk to work - it takes me about 40 mins - I would love to be within walking distance of work but I don't want to be to unrealistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I pay £600/pm for rent and my landlords are very nice and they have always gone out there way for me and take great care for me which is an important thing (to have good landlords)
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Surbiton.

You're on the 281 bus route which goes to Twickenham.
    Nearby Kingston has a direct train to Twickenham.

Also, Surbiton is on a fast, frequent, main train line to Waterloo, should you want to venture into town.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £600 a month to live out side London - Yea Gods!!!! Please tell me that includes bills and council tax?? Can I ask where you live Fresh?

How much is a house share with in a reasonable distance of the city??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Near Twickenham and not extortionatly expensive is not an easy thing to find! Teddington meets most of your requirements but it's by no means cheap. Islweworth may be a cheaper but not quite so nice option. Hampton, Hampton Hill and Fulwell could be worth a look.

I agree. I live in Hampton,not cheap but a nice area. Hounslow and Feltham are worth looking into,tho some areas are better than others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £600 a month to live out side London - Yea Gods!!!! Please tell me that includes bills and council tax?? Can I ask where you live Fresh?

How much is a house share with in a reasonable distance of the city??

£600 a month is cheap.
    Try Richmond Upon Thames, which is lovely, but a 1 bed flat is likely to be £1000 a month to rent, before bills and council tax.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surbiton.

You're on the 281 bus route which goes to Twickenham.
    Nearby Kingston has a direct train to Twickenham.

Also, Surbiton is on a fast, frequent, main train line to Waterloo, should you want to venture into town.

I doubt whether you'd get from surbiton to twickenham in 30 minutes in rush hour. Though, to be honest, from kingston bridge to hounslow, every "town" merges with the surrounding ones, and you never know which one you're in.

Surbiton does indeed have a fast, frequent service to waterloo ....which is why £600 pm won't get you much in the area.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daughter shares a flat in Crouch End (North London), and pays about £550 per month (there are four of them). She has paid up to around £750 a month, though. A houseshare for £500-600 per month in the Twickenham area is going to be difficult to find.

London is horrendously expensive at the moment, I don't think most people realise exactly HOW expensive! My son's working in Birmingham at the moment - he doesn't get a great salary in London terms, but he lives a lot better than he would in London, including renting a large studio flat in a good district.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    I agree. I live in Hampton,not cheap but a nice area. Hounslow and Feltham are worth looking into,tho some areas are better than others.

I had to run an errand to Feltham last year and it's definitely easy enough to commute to Twickenham. What surprised me was that it had quite a studenty atmosphere, with loads of college-age people roaming around the Asda (which is in the town centre so no car needed). It's not a cool area but worth considering.

Further in towards London, how about Brentford? The best idea is to have an explore in the local area and check out the transport links. Twickenham isn't on the tube so bus or train are the options for public transport. Or cycle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I doubt whether you'd get from surbiton to twickenham in 30 minutes in rush hour. Though, to be honest, from kingston bridge to hounslow, every "town" merges with the surrounding ones, and you never know which one you're in.

Surbiton does indeed have a fast, frequent service to waterloo ....which is why £600 pm won't get you much in the area.

The OP said she may be willing to spend more than half 'an hour in travel time in which case 281 would be ok. I live in surbiton and £600pcm would get you a house share or maybe a bed sit type thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

You won't, as the 281 is timetabled to take 40 minutes.
    However, it's an easy run, you just sit there.
    Alternatively, take one of several buses into Kingston and hop on the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OP said she may be willing to spend more than half 'an hour in travel time in which case 281 would be ok. I live in surbiton and £600pcm would get you a house share or maybe a bed sit type thing.

Oh, if only we knew of a suitable property for sale. ;);)
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not going to find a place in a nice part of London for £500/600 a month. Heck, you'd be lucky to find that in a dodgy part!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, if only we knew of a suitable property for sale. ;);)

Cheeky ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I had to run an errand to Feltham last year and it's definitely easy enough to commute to Twickenham. What surprised me was that it had quite a studenty atmosphere, with loads of college-age people roaming around the Asda (which is in the town centre so no car needed). It's not a cool area but worth considering.

Further in towards London, how about Brentford? The best idea is to have an explore in the local area and check out the transport links. Twickenham isn't on the tube so bus or train are the options for public transport. Or cycle.

Feltham I would avoid like the plague, not the nicest of vibes due to the youth offenders institute. Brentford is not very nice either, apart from the newly developed bit by the docks but they are very pricey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not to mention that the trains are a nightmare at feltham!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not going to find a place in a nice part of London for £500/600 a month. Heck, you'd be lucky to find that in a dodgy part!!!

For a house share? Yes, you would, just about.

eg houseshares listed on Gumtree in Richmond seem to be 100-120 a week, or 433-520 a month
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live on the Lower Feltham / Sunbury border, and have to say I really like it here. Lower Feltham, Sunbury, Ashford should all be within about 30 minute bus journey of Twickenham (ten minutes by car), without coming with the higher prices that Teddington or Strawberry Hill do.

Feltham certainly isn't as bad as it used to be, however still suffers a bit of a reputation. When I first moved down here, I wouldn't have considered living in Feltham area.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you went the opposite direction from London and went slightly further out Staines and Feltham are not far away at all, a bit further out from London but cheaper than some of the other areas around there.

Or Hounslow or possibly Northfields or Osterley Park maybe if you go a bit further north.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    If you went the opposite direction from London and went slightly further out Staines and Feltham are not far away at all, a bit further out from London but cheaper than some of the other areas around there.

Or Hounslow or possibly Northfields or Osterley Park maybe if you go a bit further north.

Northfields is an attractive area with good shops and restaurants and the Piccadilly Line to central London, but it would take around 40 minutes to Twickenham by public transport. Osterley has a more suburban feel and from what I've seen it's not really like being in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Northfields is an attractive area with good shops and restaurants and the Piccadilly Line to central London, but it would take around 40 minutes to Twickenham by public transport. Osterley has a more suburban feel and from what I've seen it's not really like being in London.

From Northfields, you could get an E2 to Brentford, then change to a 267 to Twickenham.