Movies with a twist

adamlee19adamlee19 Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
I just watched the others and i loved the twist at the end never really saw it coming till i saw it the 2nd time. Wont spoil it for people that aint seen it. But what i would like to know can u tell me other films with twist example like the sixth sence perfect strangers etc. I do really like those kinda films where you never saw it coming.

Comments

• MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like WAR http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/ as the twist was something I've not seen in another before. Also Jet Li & Jason Statham were very good in it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The perfect stranger
    Some thriller with Halle Berry
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Usual Suspects.......
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The Tall Man is worth the look. Good film with a few nice twists in there.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old boy. probably the best and worst twist in a movie ever, i hope the remake does it justice
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    ^ The twist is suppose to be more disturbing in the new adaptation of Oldboy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ The twist is suppose to be more disturbing in the new adaptation of Oldboy.

This film has got me more excited thsn any film of the last 15 years or so. Cant wait
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film has got me more excited thsn any film of the last 15 years or so. Cant wait

Brolins character has been held for 20 years in the remake instead of 15....Is this to make it more "palatable" for American audiences??

Do you think they'll try to recreate the squid scene?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally a twist which works for one person may not work for another. I saw the Usual Suspects one coming, for example, but not The Prestige; I know some other people are the other way about. A good twist doesn't come out of nowhere, and that makes it guessable. Most of the Saw films have more than one twist so you are less likely to catch them all.

The Prestige and Fight Club are my favourites because the twist causes you to re-evaluate the characters.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think The Crying Game has the best twist in a film I've seen. When I watched that for the first time I actually had to pause the film for a minute or two just to get over the shock :D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    ^ The twist in The Prestige is more of a...
    ...genre switch though. Suddenly it does become science fiction, or from stage magic to real magic perhaps.
    Others:

House of Games - terrific twist.
    No Way Out - maybe best twist evah.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought The Prestige was two twists - one being more of a slow realisation dawning though (or does that make it a 'reveal' rather than a twist?). The evidence for it is right there in front of you but if you're not looking for it you don't spot it until it's thrown at you full-on.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I correctly guessed these twists:
    The Sixth Sense, Saw (the oldest trick in the film book), The Village, The Orphanage, The Cabin in the Woods, A Perfect Getaway, Shutter Island, Nine Queens, Seven, The Machinist, The Uninvited, Angel Heart, The Others, The Invisible and Primal Fear.
    Best of all: Angel Heart (and for the performance alone, Primal Fear).
    Worst of all: The Village (so stupid).

I incorrectly guessed these twists, which made it a pleasant surprise:
    The Prestige, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Arlington Road, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Devil’s Advocate, The Vanishing (probably the most devastating twist), Oldboy and 13 Beloved.
    Best: The Prestige or The Vanishing.
    Worst: The Devil's Advocate. I accidentally got the twist of The Devil’s Advocate right. My guess was supposed to be a joke, though. I was truly shocked that they actually went for this moronic cop-out. Because it was accidental, I'm counting it as 'incorrect'.

Didn't guess at all as I didn't expect or care about the twist:
    The Usual Suspects, The Wicker Man, The Mist, Sleepaway Camp, Planet of the Apes, Sunshine, Lord of War, Identity, The Skeleton Key, Chinatown, The Descent, Safe Haven (so crap), The Game, Lucky Number Slevin, High Tension (earned an eye roll from me), Friday the 13th, Memento and The Secret in their Eyes.
    Best: The Secret in their Eyes or The Wicker Man.
    Worst: Sunshine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Brolins character has been held for 20 years in the remake instead of 15....Is this to make it more "palatable" for American audiences??

Do you think they'll try to recreate the squid scene?

It has to be there in some form. I just cant wait for a trailer
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be there in some form. I just cant wait for a trailer

It's one of the few films i've watched repeatedly, there's just something about it. If it's a straight scene for scene remake it'll suffer in comparason thats for sure.
    I believe the new version is going to follow the comic more closely...hope they keep the hammer fight in!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    The Cabin in the Woods ......Primal Fear.

Quite a list!

Primal Fear - love it, did not guess.

Cabin - Went in expecting huge twists due to 'i won't spoil it but there's a twist' reviews and was shocked when there wasn't one as it was right in front of your eyes from the start. (it was already a good twist on the genre but it wasn't a shock twist ending IMHO.)
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Oblivion - I had an idea something wasn't going to be quite so clear cut and thought the way everything was revealed was quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best ones I can think of off the top of my head are Fight Club and Memento. I also enjoyed Moon's twist, although it comes very early on in the film
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reindeer Games (2000) with Ben Affleck and Charlize Theron had some good twists. never saw them coming

U-Turn (1997) has a twist-filled last half hour with one shocking and disturbing twist.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor mandarin....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I find the best twists are in films where you're not expecting a twist. If I'm watching a film where I know there's a twist, I find myself analysing it all the way through to work it out before it happens, rather than just sitting back and enjoying it. I think the twist in Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Were-Rabbit was great for exactly that reason because I wasn't expecting it.

Other notable mentions - The Empire Strikes Back and Night of the Living Dead.

I think the Usual Suspects has the mother of all twists though, partly because of how it's revealed, but also we don't actually know what really happened that night. It still does my head in even now.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the best twists are in films where you're not expecting a twist. If I'm watching a film where I know there's a twist, I find myself analysing it all the way through to work it out before it happens, rather than just sitting back and enjoying it. I think the twist in Wallace and Gromit's Curse of the Were-Rabbit was great for exactly that reason because I wasn't expecting it.

Other notable mentions - The Empire Strikes Back and Night of the Living Dead.

I think the Usual Suspects has the mother of all twists though, partly because of how it's revealed, but also we don't actually know what really happened that night. It still does my head in even now.

That's a good point...if you are aware the film has a twist you will obviously spend time looking for it, it's just a natural reaction.

I remember watching the Mel Gibson movie Ransom at an early screening, before the trailer had even been released...and there was an audible gasp from the audience in the scene where he gives the press conference and turns the tables on the kidnappers. It was a completely unexpected moment. And what do they do? Put that scene in the damn trailer.

Unfortunately film companies are so desperate to get people to see their movies they either spell out the whole plot in the trailer, or make a big fanfare about a big twist/shock ending/major sequence etc.

Movies used to be, and indeed should be about a voyage of discovery, about watching a film and having the story unfold in front of you as it happens. Sure, we all like to know the basic outline of a movie before we see it, but not every damn thing that is going to happen.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point...if you are aware the film has a twist you will obviously spend time looking for it, it's just a natural reaction.

I remember watching the Mel Gibson movie Ransom at an early screening, before the trailer had even been released...and there was an audible gasp from the audience in the scene where he gives the press conference and turns the tables on the kidnappers. It was a completely unexpected moment. And what do they do? Put that scene in the damn trailer.

Unfortunately film companies are so desperate to get people to see their movies they either spell out the whole plot in the trailer, or make a big fanfare about a big twist/shock ending/major sequence etc.

Movies used to be, and indeed should be about a voyage of discovery, about watching a film and having the story unfold in front of you as it happens. Sure, we all like to know the basic outline of a movie before we see it, but not every damn thing that is going to happen.

I guess the only way this can be avoided is a media blackout or use a double twist.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Planet of the Apes (original film) had a very good twist at the end I thought.