Options

Katy Perry vs. Lady Gaga might actually happen!

DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If Applause leaks tonight, her label might end up rush releasing it on iTunes on Monday/Tuesday (which they have done before with Judas), which would mean...
KATY PERRY VS. LADY GAGA

Ladies and Gents, the shit's about to hit the fan! (Well at least on US iTunes.)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    It won't happen. Even if the song leaks, they'll pull a 'Your Body' / 'Ooo La La' and lie that the finished version sounds different only for it to be exactly the same as the leak. I suppose that GaGa will have a radio deal and some sort of video (audio, lyric, official mv) premiering on VEVO on August 19th and the label has already paid for these things, so they wouldn't want to ruin that.

But IF it happens, wouldn't it be hilarious if Robin Thicke blocked both of them? :o:D
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gaga is fuming at the snippet leak on twitter.:eek: "YOU JUST COULDNT WAIT THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ONE SATURDAY" she furiously typed while uploading the rest of the song to leak.:D
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    gaga is fuming at the snippet leak on twitter.:eek: "YOU JUST COULDNT WAIT THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ONE SATURDAY" she furiously typed while uploading the rest of the song to leak.:D

exactly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's clearly her team behind the leak.

I doubt the label cares really, because Gaga and Katy are on sister labels now, so at the end of the day they all win out of this rivalry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even if it's her team behind the leak, which is honestly quite possible, they still won't rush release it. They actually have a lot to lose out of a straight forward rivalry, because one of the songs is inevitably going to get overshadowed by the other. I think they're just building hype and they'll keep doing so until August 19th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be a competiton modern chart rival of Madonna Vs Janet Jackson back in their primes.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaga will win for sure. Her track actually sounds really good from the snippet, super catchy, while Katy has left me disappointed.
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    So now it's happening. What do people think?

Speaking as a neutral I think that Roar is good fun and Applause isn't as immediately catchy.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roar is a brilliant, catchy pop song. It slays Applause but Lady Gaga's monsters will be out in force.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Lady GaGa would wipe the floor with Katy, but it's the opposite. Katy's song knocks GaGa's out the water. Much more radio friendly, much more catchy, much more fun. Disappointed with Gaga, I expected more.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having heard both I hope Blurred Lines/We Can't Stop continues to dominate.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Lady GaGa would wipe the floor with Katy, but it's the opposite. Katy's song knocks GaGa's out the water. Much more radio friendly, much more catchy, much more fun. Disappointed with Gaga, I expected more.

The amount of hype Applause has had I was also expecting much more from GaGa. I loved her last album but this new song doesn't excite me at all.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of hype Applause has had I was also expecting much more from GaGa. I loved her last album but this new song doesn't excite me at all.

I was hoping it would be a huge song. But...it's just bland. It sounds very cheap and it sounds very generic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neither of the songs are great, but imo, 'Roar' is a good enough, catchy and uplifting song, while 'Applause' is awful and overproduced.

GaGa may win in the first week in terms of sales, although, if the general public doesn't warm to the song, she might lose there too, but I have no doubt Katy will win the race in the long run. I just can't imagine any radio playing 'Applause' willingly and purely because of the quality of the song. It will get a little airplay based on name alone. And if the video is in the vein of her 'BTW' videos, I think that will make it even easier for Katy to triumph.
  • Options
    ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    I was hoping it would be a huge song. But...it's just bland. It sounds very cheap and it sounds very generic.

That was my first reaction. But I have only heard it once so may need to give it longer.

Having said that I liked Born This Way and Edge of Glory pretty much straight away. And many of the songs on her first album.

I think she is in danger of over- hyping quite unexceptional music.

Roar isn't Katy's best song either for me, but it is fun and I can imagine people happily listening to it on the radio and singing along loudly when partying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually just love both songs and whichever charts higher or gets the number one or sells better then so be it.

What a week for pop music.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both. Gaga's track is like that dancing in the club track, and Katy's is like being in the car with your radio blasting.

I was expecting more from Applause admittedly, but that's because I overhyped it in my head. Katy's was much better on first listen because I had little expectations.

I actually prefer Applause as a whole, but Katy's chorus is so catchy.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't receive any of this overhype for either single and I have to say Applause isn't amazing but it's very catchy and miles better than Roar. Even Katy Perry's recorded vocals are rubbish, I would hate to hear it live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    There is no competition. Both songs are great. Both will sell millions. I think Gaga will likely get the US no1 in the the first week (Doesn't the Billboard run from Tuesday - Monday) Which means Katy's first day sales will chart tomorrow and Gaga will have the full first week sales plus video views next week. I think Katy will overtake and get no1 in the next few weeks, Roar is definitely more radio friendly and will stay around for a while.
    In the UK Applause is out 2 weeks before Roar so they will both be numbers 1's here.

I think ultimately Roar will be the bigger single but Artpop's will sell more than Prism.
    Ultimately They are both going to have successful era's and both be here in two years time with album number 4.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roar is my favorite but applause is a vast improvement over Born this Way and 60% of the Born this Way album.

Roar is good throughout whilst I feel applause takes until the second verse to really get going. I love the"I live for the applause-plause" part.

I've fallen in love with Katys lyric video with the whatsapp/imessaging and emojis, very clever and I've had it shared three times tonight by people saying"Omg this is like all my group messages but cooler" and tagging people in it on Facebook, which I'm assuming was exactly the intention.

I think gaga could have a brilliant video with this song though, as in full length video not lyric. I miss when she was at the top of her game and I'd wait up for hours because word on Twitter said a video would leak soon. I want the good hype like Alejandro and telephone had, not the disappointment of Edge of Glory which had a better visual on the Google chrome advert.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I don't like Katy Perry as a personality, and every one of her songs that I've liked has been massively overplayed to the point of no return. HOWEVER, while its lyrically boring and pretty generic, Roar got to me. Downloaded it, listened to it a bunch. It's very catchy, memorable, rousing. I can tell I'll get quickly sick of it, but for now it's a strong opener to the Prism album.

Was really excited for Applause, but it still hasn't grabbed me after five or six listens. The EDM beat is incredibly boring after the interesting sounds of her first two albums (and EP), and I'm not sure it's even that catchy. Born This Way was annoying in terms of how it bashed you over the head with a message, but was so much more catchy and interesting as a song.

Applause feels like a step back, like one of the "could be anyone singing" filler songs from The Fame like Starstruck or I Like It Rough.

I hate to admit it, but I think Katy won out.
  • Options
    Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    The VMAs will be very interesting now that Katy Perry is going to be performing Roar. And I am amazed to say this but Katy has won this first battle against Applause imo.

Yes, Roar is a bit safe and not exactly the step up that a lot of us were expecting, but I was humming it to myself after dinner and it is really catchy and fun. I tried humming Applause and it just didn't feel as good, despite lyrically being better, but the music lets it down for me.

Roar is winning it for me.