Options

Haggis

LardnessLardness Posts: 709
Forum Member
✭✭
I live overseas & have some UK friends here in January & will be hosting a big Burns Night (again).

My friends will be getting the haggis for me..... can anyone recommend a supplier that does good haggis that is easy to get hold of?

I notice that a lot of blind taste award winners these days are places like Aldi etc, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2334996/Aldi-tops-taste-test-Budget-chains-hams-tea-cakes-beat-M-S-Harrods.html.

Does the same go for haggis? I see a lot of forums mention Macsween....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    We have reviewed both Macsween's regular haggis and the vegi option at Foodstuff Finds, and both went down really well. Very innovative packaging too! They are available online from Ocado and within Waitrose and well worth a try.

Traditional: http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/10/macsween-traditional-haggis.html
    Vegetarian: http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/10/macsween-vegetarian-haggis.html
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no expert, but I've always enjoyed Macsween - its readily availble too!
    Being a heathen I just nuke mine in a microwave for a few minutes (packaging will say how long) but you can also slice 'n fry it or go really oldschool and boil it for about an hour!
    It freezes well too.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I've always enjoyed Macsween - its readily availble too!
    Being a heathen I just nuke mine in a microwave for a few minutes (packaging will say how long) but you can also slice 'n fry it or go really oldschool and boil it for about an hour!
    It freezes well too.:)

Macsweens it is. Think I steamed mine last year.

Will follow the instructions.

Now the only problem is to get some of the guests to buy a decent single malt!
  • Options
    closedbookclosedbook Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Mrs CB and I often have a Simon Howie"s as an alternative to a Sunday roast when its just the two of us. Sometimes baked in oven or boiled in bag. Available from Sainsburys all year round and I think Tesco does it.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lardness wrote: »
    Macsweens it is. Think I steamed mine last year.

Will follow the instructions.

Now the only problem is to get some of the guests to buy a decent single malt!

Re- Malt Whisky, how about Jura or Old Pulteney, Glen Elgin also nice. Drop some hints OP :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Re- Malt Whisky, how about Jura or Old Pulteney, Glen Elgin also nice. Drop some hints OP :o:D

I had some 'stuff' last year that began with L, IIRC. Was somewhat refreshed & can't remember the name. Wasn't Laphroaig

Had never heard of it before & was the best drop I've ever had. Darn- I should write these things down.

Will have to get a request to the UK- all you can get here is Johnny Walker or Glenfiddich....
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lardness wrote: »
    I had some 'stuff' last year that began with L, IIRC. Was somewhat refreshed & can't remember the name. Wasn't Laphroaig

Had never heard of it before & was the best drop I've ever had. Darn- I should write these things down.

Will have to get a request to the UK- all you can get here is Johnny Walker or Glenfiddich....

A few beginning with L, OP- Loch Dhu, Lagavulin, Ledaig, Littlemill, Ladyburn. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    A few beginning with L, OP- Loch Dhu, Lagavulin, Ledaig, Littlemill, Ladyburn. :)

Bobert....looking at the bottle shape, I think it was the Lagavulin......very smooth
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lagavulin is an excellent choice to go with haggis. Biggest problem is that it's very "morish" and quite easy to consume a little more than you intended (which may well be why you couldn't remember the name from your previous experience).