Options

PC, Console or Both

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Time and time again we see the same old argument, PC versus Console so I thought I'd do this poll to see how many gamer's own both a PC and console/consoles. I game on both :)

PC, Console or Both 80 votes

I game on both
48% 39 votes
Just PC
21% 17 votes
Just Console
30% 24 votes

Comments

• Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I game on both. Both are as easy as each other to play on. What I hate the absolute most, is the bull that console gamers tend to spout about PC gaming. Nearly as bad is PC gamers that constantly bang on about PC gaming or feel the need to make little comment in threads about PC gaming.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont own a pc now so just console for me.

Last time I seriously played on one was quake 2 on dial up internet. I did buy quake 4 I think it was but couldn't get it to work. More recently had a freebie portal 2 but it ran like 1 frame every few secs.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just own the PS3 at the moment. Only owning one system that generation made me appreciate what I had more and as a result I found I enjoyed gaming more.

When I did game on PC I found I was often distracted but hardware upgrade, changing drivers and tweaking my settings to get the most out of my system. I never felt happy with what I had got because I always felt I could have something better. This leads to upgrading a lot which get expensive if its not kept under control. Consoles take all that away and I found I am playing more for the enjoyment of the game rather than the technical aspects of the games.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really into building a PC and keep upgrading it, so consoles for me.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PC exclusive since 07.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I just own the PS3 at the moment. Only owning one system that generation made me appreciate what I had more and as a result I found I enjoyed gaming more.

When I did game on PC I found I was often distracted but hardware upgrade, changing drivers and tweaking my settings to get the most out of my system. I never felt happy with what I had got because I always felt I could have something better. This leads to upgrading a lot which get expensive if its not kept under control. Consoles take all that away and I found I am playing more for the enjoyment of the game rather than the technical aspects of the games.

Exactly my experiences, I also get on much better owning less, my level of appreciation is much higher than when I've got access to pretty much everything. It's the same mentality as when I used to pirate games yet never get around to playing them.

About 3 years ago I spent a lot of money on a gaming rig and realised pretty soon after it wasn't for me. I also always felt I could push and tweak things further, too many variables means too much time messing about trying to reach optimum performance/visuals rather than playing the actual games. I don't need OCD distractions like that in my life lol.

To use an analogy, PC gaming (at least high end) is to me like judging a piece of artwork based predominantly on the quality of the paint and stitching of the canvas. Whereas console gaming allows me to simply enjoy the artwork itself. I realise that not everyone is like this but that about sums it up for me.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time and time again we see the same old argument, PC versus Console so I thought I'd do this poll to see how many gamer's own both a PC and console/consoles. I game on both :)

Isn't it normally Hetal who brings up that argument time and time again? :p
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't even an argument.
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been console only for years, but when I got the PS4 I just felt I wouldn't be getting the best out of it for a yearor two, and fancied the challenge of building a rig, so I did, and it was great fun. I'll be getting "old-gen" games on PC from now on, and making a judgement on new releases.

As for having to keep-up with the latest tech? True, I won't be able to run the new LOTR game on max settings, but it'll run, and I'm too old to be bothered about whether my game runs at 1080p 60fps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get why people like gaming on PC but aside from better graphics and free online what does it really offer
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose that they can use it as an all in one for net, office type apps etc.
    I personally do that on my phone now though. I know its not just as convenient and certainly smaller but I get by enough that I don't want another computer now.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keyboard and mouse are a biggy too.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't even an argument.

There is always an argument :p

I always thought PC gaming was more for the enthusiast, building/maintaining/upgrading/modding and private servers for MP and all that sort of stuff.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play The Sims 2 on pc. Everything else on consoles.
  • Options
    MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I prefer old style strategy (Age of Empires etc.) I don't get enough time to play consoles anymore. Joys of kids, work etc.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I get why people like gaming on PC but aside from better graphics and free online what does it really offer

Improved precision from controls, increased immersion in games (probably because you're closer to the screen). Modding, flexibility and openness are biggies. And those bundles, they attract a lot of people to PC gaming. The bundles are crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing I like about the PC gaming is the games are cheaper and there's more variety of games to choice from

But I've been brought up on console gaming, so I'm more used to the controls and console gaming as a whole. I don't agree pc gaming gives you increased immersion though.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better graphics, Better FPS, cheaper games and no subs for online services are major plus points.

Only downsides are the initial punt for a decent rig is often expensive although mine has evolved over time to its current build by selling my old parts. Also it can be frustrating when a game has issues with drivers which prevent you from playing some games from the word go.

But in comparison to the new and old gen of consoles there is no competition - pc gaming beats them for me!

Although I do like the simple "insert disk and play" nature of consoles!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've played on consoles for over 30 years, although I did start gaming on a home computer.

I have a laptop capable of playing modest games, but I rarely bother with it.

A severe lack of spare time at the moment means I appreciate the plug-and-play nature of consoles more than ever. But, a change in my shift patterns will give me a LOT more spare time soon, so I may build myself a rig if my plans for a man-cave come to fruition.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've played on consoles for over 30 years, although I did start gaming on a home computer.

I have a laptop capable of playing modest games, but I rarely bother with it.

A severe lack of spare time at the moment means I appreciate the plug-and-play nature of consoles more than ever. But, a change in my shift patterns will give me a LOT more spare time soon, so I may build myself a rig if my plans for a man-cave come to fruition.

:D man-cave that's what its really about! I need to post a photo of my setup lol, PC with a fancy lit up keyboard, space age looking mouse lol, PC, PS4 and Xbox 360 all perfectly positioned, with headset posing and ready for use, controllers, mouse mat, the whole business!!! Haha every gamer should aim for that man-cave mate :p
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I spent most of last gen gaming on my 360, this gen however I am tempted to buy a proper gaming rig and go down the pc route. I used to prefer Console gaming as it used to be pick up and play, however this gen. Every time I turn on the ps4 or xbox one, I am prompted to download a massive update.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

For me it's the cheaper games. Nothing to do with them looking better or running faster, I don't care about that side of it tbh. I paid £29.97 for Titanfall PC digital download but to get the same game on XB1 or 360 would have cost me £50+ :o. NFS Rivals PC digi cost me £19.99. if I wanted it on PS4 or XB1 £40+. It's just so much cheaper than console gaming. Hence the reason I get multi format games on PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid £29.97 for Titanfall PC digital download but to get the same game on XB1 or 360 would have cost me £50+ :o. NFS Rivals PC digi cost me £19.99. if I wanted it on PS4 or XB1 £40+. It's just so much cheaper than console gaming. Hence the reason I get multi format games on PC.
    Depends where you buy from, I bought a digital download of Titanfall for £33 and now you can get it for £29 on the Xbox One.

But I agree in general PC games are a lot cleaper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been a PC gamer its interested me but the expense of buying or building a capable gaming PC has put me off.